Opinion of the Cabrini-Green Housing Projects?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 08:00:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of the Cabrini-Green Housing Projects?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ?
FP

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 40

Author Topic: Opinion of the Cabrini-Green Housing Projects?  (Read 4398 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 21, 2015, 07:35:44 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabrini%E2%80%93Green_Homes
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 08:17:38 PM »

Would still rather live there than a suburb
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 11:12:45 PM »

If I lived there I could still easily go to cool places in Chicago. Not like I'd be stuck there all day constantly.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 11:57:15 PM »

If I lived there I could still easily go to cool places in Chicago. Not like I'd be stuck there all day constantly.

This paragraph from Wikipedia is mild compared to many primary sources:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

And yet it still sounds nicer than Shelby County.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 12:07:38 AM »

This is an insult to all of the people that were forced to live in Cabrini's conditions.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 10:48:46 AM »

One time I had a long wait at the Greyhound station not far from there, so of course I went for a stroll around Cabrini Green, no one bothered me they probably thought I was nuts.
Kushahontas
floating_to_sea
Kenya

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 01:58:22 PM »

Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 03:31:30 PM »

Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 04:06:38 PM »

yeah, BRTD, come on.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2015, 09:43:49 PM »

Mayor Jane Byrne said the same thing.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2015, 10:03:31 PM »

Having to sleep in such a place can be tolerable as long as you can still get to the cool parts of Chicago (and if it's that close to the Greyhound station, where I've been, it's VERY cool), you could just spend all day away from home. In a suburb you can't be in the cool parts of Chicago all the time.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2015, 10:42:49 PM »

Having to sleep in such a place can be tolerable as long as you can still get to the cool parts of Chicago (and if it's that close to the Greyhound station, where I've been, it's VERY cool), you could just spend all day away from home. In a suburb you can't be in the cool parts of Chicago all the time.

Wow. This is so insensitive and idiotic at the same time.

I hope you actually move into an absolutely crime ridden tenement one day to experience life there - I bet that you'll be clamoring for a suburb after that.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2015, 12:37:29 AM »

Uh I already live in a fairly high crime area.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2015, 07:41:29 AM »
« Edited: March 24, 2015, 10:54:13 AM by Torie »

God allowed Nobel to invent dynamite for a reason.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2015, 07:43:37 AM »

Chicago has real cool L and subway and train lines. You might try them sometime.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2015, 10:34:06 AM »

You're not being cute, BRTD. Cut it out. This is akin to arguing that you'd cheerfully sign up for fighting in the trenches on the Western Front for the chance to see the beautiful French countryside.

My attitude on this needs to be understood in context. I grew up in North Dakota and wanted to get out and move to a big city...but many people around were talking about how horrifying that is because all big cities are universally terrible places and you'd never survive and if you want to move to a bigger metro at least go to a suburb. So I vowed to never live in a suburb.
Kushahontas
floating_to_sea
Kenya

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2015, 11:25:06 AM »

Chicago has real cool L and subway and train lines. You might try them sometime.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2015, 12:54:08 PM »

For the love of God, BRTD.  You do realize that one of the main reasons those North Dakotans and assorted suburbanites across the country have/had such a fearful view of city life was precisely because of Cabrini-Green and similar disasters?

This line of argument is– and here I am speaking especially as a committed urbanist and a fellow refugee from the burbs– offensively counterproductive.  Please never make it again, thanks.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2015, 12:55:44 PM »

You really don't realize how crime-ridden these projects were and the constant fear that tenants lived in.

Btw I grew up in the Chicago suburbs and I could indeed be in the city every day, all the time if I wanted to and had the time. We have trains here.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2015, 03:44:25 PM »

You're not being cute, BRTD. Cut it out. This is akin to arguing that you'd cheerfully sign up for fighting in the trenches on the Western Front for the chance to see the beautiful French countryside.

My attitude on this needs to be understood in context. I grew up in North Dakota and wanted to get out and move to a big city...but many people around were talking about how horrifying that is because all big cities are universally terrible places and you'd never survive and if you want to move to a bigger metro at least go to a suburb. So I vowed to never live in a suburb.

Because it's wise to go the rest of your life guided by an "F#ck you, Dad!" mentality developed during your adolescence. After all, if there's one thing we know, it's that you never need to mature beyond your freshman year of high school.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2015, 07:47:16 PM »
« Edited: March 24, 2015, 07:59:44 PM by I left my heart in the back of the cab »

Because it's wise to go the rest of your life guided by an "F#ck you, Dad!" mentality developed during your adolescence. After all, if there's one thing we know, it's that you never need to mature beyond your freshman year of high school.

Uh, seeing as you actually live in the city most associated with "OMG URBAN AREAS ARE ALL TERRIBLE!" and don't seem to mind I thought you'd be more around my opinion here.

Not likely. The Greyhound and Megabus stops are already right in the heart of the city, so the only reason I'd have to use them is if I was traveling TO the suburbs...so I'd have no reason to ever use them.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2015, 08:19:52 PM »

Uh, seeing as you actually live in the city most associated with "OMG URBAN AREAS ARE ALL TERRIBLE!" and don't seem to mind I thought you'd be more around my opinion here.

I think Cathcon finds your reasoning for your opinion more objectionable than the opinion itself, but I could be wrong.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

[/quote]

Not likely. The Greyhound and Megabus stops are already right in the heart of the city, so the only reason I'd have to use them is if I was traveling TO the suburbs...so I'd have no reason to ever use them.
[/quote]

I think Torie is insinuating that living in a Chicago suburb would not isolate you from the cool parts of Chicago nearly as much as you think it would, but I could be wrong.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2015, 08:54:20 PM »
« Edited: March 24, 2015, 08:56:45 PM by I left my heart in the back of the cab »

My main thing has always been this, I hate driving to shows because: 1-parking is usually scarce and hard to find and 2-I can't drink as much as I want without worrying about a DUI. So let's pick some typical suburb of DuPage County like, oh say Elmhurst. So per Google Maps I could take a transit line there to Uptown but...it'd take 1 hour and 21 minutes. One way. So I have to plan an extra 2 1/2 hours out of my day every time I want to go to a show. And how much would that fare be anyway? Yeah not a viable option. And yes I do go to shows often enough for this to be a serious concern.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2015, 08:57:08 PM »

You know, I'm actually with you on that. An eighty-one-minute commute to a show is genuinely unreasonable for someone with your lifestyle. I agree entirely.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2015, 08:59:32 PM »

The train costs like $3 one way. When I lived in DuPage County I would take the train into the city all the time and stay at friends' places overnight (the ride is from the Wheaton train station to Ogilvy downtown is just long enough to casually drink a 40). Which is obviously inferior to living a nice part of Chicago but certainly better than living at f'ing Cabrini-Green.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies