Opinion of the Cabrini-Green Housing Projects?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:20:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of the Cabrini-Green Housing Projects?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ?
FP

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 40

Author Topic: Opinion of the Cabrini-Green Housing Projects?  (Read 4375 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2015, 09:04:56 PM »
« edited: March 24, 2015, 09:07:27 PM by I left my heart in the back of the cab »

See that would just make me really jealous. "OMG why does my friend get to live here and so close to the shows and all this cool stuff and I live in this boring as s[inks] suburb?" To be fair I did commute two hours one way to shows in Minneapolis all the time when I was in college but: 1-I had a reason and 2-I still got to see some shows in Mankato at least, it wasn't like I had to do that EVERY SINGLE TIME I wanted to go to one.

That's actually part of why I like places like Madison and Des Moines, because you still get things like shows, but they're always going to be easily accessible no matter where you live. The problem is you won't get AS MANY as Minneapolis or Chicago. If you posed a question like "Would you rather live in Des Moines or Cabrini-Green?" I'd actually have a tough time deciding.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2015, 12:07:57 AM »

Growing up in Lake County, I could take a train to the Loop in under an hour (to get to Uptown I'd get off Metra at a Northside stop and then hop on the L).

Surely a fair price to pay considering you still have access to the amenities but do not have to live at Cabrini Green.

And you again insult the former residents by comparing it to Des Moines. You really do not understand the history behind these projects, or you are just that insensitive to downplay the conditions for the opportunity to jab at the suburbs?
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2015, 01:05:12 AM »

Good example of the generally disastrous nature of public housing projects and urban "renewal" which probably was the biggest mistake of midcentury liberalism.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2015, 01:36:42 AM »

Cabrini-Green, that name sounds like a great prefab subtropical resort.  How exciting!
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2015, 01:38:57 AM »

Cabrini-Green, that name sounds like a great prefab subtropical resort.  How exciting!

There's a Catholic school in Southeastern Michigan named Cabrini (after a bishop, I think), so that's what pops into my head whenever I read this thread name.

Good example of the generally disastrous nature of public housing projects and urban "renewal" which probably was the biggest mistake of midcentury liberalism.

You sure? There were a lot of 'em.
Alien
Invader
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -6.09

« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2015, 01:45:50 AM »
« Edited: March 25, 2015, 01:52:02 AM by Invader »

When I was a kid, I was afraid of going anywhere near Cabrini Green... but it was because of Candyman.

HP
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2015, 02:13:45 AM »

When I was a kid, I was afraid of going anywhere near Cabrini Green... but it was because of Candyman.

HP

But great movie.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2015, 05:19:56 AM »

For the love of God, BRTD.  You do realize that one of the main reasons those North Dakotans and assorted suburbanites across the country have/had such a fearful view of city life was precisely because of Cabrini-Green and similar disasters?

This line of argument is– and here I am speaking especially as a committed urbanist and a fellow refugee from the burbs– offensively counterproductive.  Please never make it again, thanks.
Pruitt-Igoe ftw!

The Riverside Plaza apartments in Minneapolis were a 2nd generation project of publicly subsidized housing that also dealt with decay and decline...but successfully turned around to become a first stop for immigrant familes arriving mainly from Somalia now but also Vietnam in the past.  The nickname has thus changed from the 'crack stacks' back in the harrowing days of Murderapolis in the early 90s to 'little Somalia' in a neighborhood that today is far safer and more vibrant.

Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2015, 09:15:23 AM »

As all has said before, public housing isn't such a bad idea--the issue was how it was executed in the US.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2015, 09:30:02 AM »

It's funny Snowguy brings up Riverside, because it'd be a GREAT place to live if you like going to shows.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2015, 11:14:40 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq_SpRBXRmE
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2015, 09:27:25 AM »
« Edited: March 31, 2015, 09:31:51 AM by HockeyDude »

Red I spent about 6 months living in Lake County and we could ride the Metra to Chicago in an hour.  The "suburbs" in Cook County where you could ride the Metra for $2 into downtown in 15 mins are no where close to what I think your idea of a suburb is.  I had a friend whose house was in Tinley Park and we would often spend the weekends there, and his area was absolutely indistinguishable from the outskirts of a city proper.  Are you saying you would rather live in a hellhole project where you have a decent chance of getting robbed and assaulted daily than this place?  

Could you briefly define for me what you consider to be a "suburb"?  Is it simply ANY area outside the official city lines?  I've always lived in the suburbs and while they largely suck they are not all created equal.  

EDIT: Hell man, I grew up visiting my dad in Conshohocken, PA every other weekend and it's barely any different than Northeast and South Philly, despite the moniker of "Philly burbs".  It even votes about 65-70% Democratic.  There are a couple of housing developments but it's not like you have to go there and they are quite out of the way.  

Here's an aerial view of downtown

What's so awful? 
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2015, 01:56:15 PM »

BRTD would you not live in Cambridge/Somerville if you lived the Boston area?
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2015, 06:57:51 PM »

Christ. I don't know about BRTD, but I've never enjoyed playing real-life Frogger.

For what it's worth, the main drag of Conshy is significantly less forbidding when you're actually in town, rather than looking at it from across the Schuylkill, and through the riverfront towers that replaced industrial land.  According to Street View they even have pedestrian bulb-outs at the corners.

By the standards of "suburbia", Conshohocken is indeed one of the good ones.  Of course, it was a separate town before "suburbia" was a thing, which is usually the case with those "good ones".
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2015, 08:11:59 PM »

Red I spent about 6 months living in Lake County and we could ride the Metra to Chicago in an hour.  The "suburbs" in Cook County where you could ride the Metra for $2 into downtown in 15 mins are no where close to what I think your idea of a suburb is.  I had a friend whose house was in Tinley Park and we would often spend the weekends there, and his area was absolutely indistinguishable from the outskirts of a city proper.  Are you saying you would rather live in a hellhole project where you have a decent chance of getting robbed and assaulted daily than this place? 

Could you briefly define for me what you consider to be a "suburb"?  Is it simply ANY area outside the official city lines?  I've always lived in the suburbs and while they largely suck they are not all created equal. 

EDIT: Hell man, I grew up visiting my dad in Conshohocken, PA every other weekend and it's barely any different than Northeast and South Philly, despite the moniker of "Philly burbs".  It even votes about 65-70% Democratic.  There are a couple of housing developments but it's not like you have to go there and they are quite out of the way. 

Here's an aerial view of downtown

What's so awful? 

Being "only" an hour away means you're two hours in a round trip, and you can't walk right into downtown, which I really like doing (and do frequently when it's warm out.)

The only time I'd ever live in a "suburb" is if it was right next to the city's downtown and completly indistinguishable from any surrounding area, which hardly ever happens. For this to occur it'd have to either be located right across the river from somewhere, which usually means places like Camden and East St. Louis, or have some strange municipal boundaries. One example of the latter is Carter Lake, Iowa, which I'd probably rather live in if I lived in metro Omaha because it means I could live in Iowa instead of Nebraska, aka a half decent state. Also I'd rather live in Moorhead, MN than Fargo so I could still live in Minnesota, but Moorhead isn't really a suburb, in fact it shares the exact same downtown as Fargo with just the river seperating them, if it wasn't for the signs you'd have no clue it's a different city and state.

BRTD would you not live in Cambridge/Somerville if you lived the Boston area?

No, from what I know about Boston I'd probably live in Jamaica Plain.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2015, 10:09:25 PM »
« Edited: March 31, 2015, 10:13:16 PM by I left my heart in the back of the cab »

The problem is the type of shows I go to almost NEVER happen in suburbs. Remember that thread I made about how I was at a show in a suburb? That's the first time I EVER went to one in a Twin Cities suburb and even that was a fluke of sorts (municipal all ages venue that usually only shows dorky high school pop punk shows but ended up being the only affordable venue for a show of that size). So yes going to them from any suburb would still be a pain.

(I'll admit, Dude Fest was once held in a suburb one year and in fact more of an exurb of Brownsburg....I think it might've been 2006? But that was apparentely due to getting a very cheap deal on the venue that couldn't be turned down, and is the only time shows in the Indianapolis area EVER happen outside of Indianapolis proper. I heard locals joke about that and how weird it was. Also since Dude Fest is a giant fest that has a majority of its attendees from out of the area holding it a suburb/exurb it wasn't a huge inconvenience for most anyway, I'm sure the locals were a bit annoyed though.)

There's also a big advantage to centrality that is often overlooked: It means you can change jobs fairly easily and don't need to worry about an insane commute most likely. I could live in Eagan and have a fairly easy commute yes, but if I did and then I got a new job in say Brooklyn Park or even Roseville, I'd have a pretty annoying commute. But not a problem where I am. And of course a job in downtown Minneapolis which I'm sure will happen at some point would be super-convenient while being a suburban commuter would be full of all sorts of hassles aside from distance travelled as well.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2015, 04:01:27 PM »

Christ. I don't know about BRTD, but I've never enjoyed playing real-life Frogger.

For what it's worth, the main drag of Conshy is significantly less forbidding when you're actually in town, rather than looking at it from across the Schuylkill, and through the riverfront towers that replaced industrial land.  According to Street View they even have pedestrian bulb-outs at the corners.

[...]

By the standards of "suburbia", Conshohocken is indeed one of the good ones.  Of course, it was a separate town before "suburbia" was a thing, which is usually the case with those "good ones".

That is a much more pleasant image. I see that it has a gridded streets, too, and at a reasonable scale. Not bad at all, although as BRTD's preoccupation seems to have more to do with centrality than with it does with walkability, livability, neighborhood life, and so on, I doubt that it would hold much appeal to him.

I'll be honest, Conshohocken doesn't hold all that much appeal to me, either.  While I don't put a premium on "centrality" per se, I do put a heavy premium on never having to own a car, and that tends to limit my options in a similar– possibly even more stringent– manner.  Obviously not everyone wants to/can afford to be quite the purist I am, so with that in mind I think it's a fine town and we'd be better off with more like it.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies