Opinion of the Cabrini-Green Housing Projects? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:01:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of the Cabrini-Green Housing Projects? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
FP

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 40

Author Topic: Opinion of the Cabrini-Green Housing Projects?  (Read 4431 times)
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« on: March 24, 2015, 12:54:08 PM »

For the love of God, BRTD.  You do realize that one of the main reasons those North Dakotans and assorted suburbanites across the country have/had such a fearful view of city life was precisely because of Cabrini-Green and similar disasters?

This line of argument is– and here I am speaking especially as a committed urbanist and a fellow refugee from the burbs– offensively counterproductive.  Please never make it again, thanks.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 11:14:40 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq_SpRBXRmE
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 06:57:51 PM »

Christ. I don't know about BRTD, but I've never enjoyed playing real-life Frogger.

For what it's worth, the main drag of Conshy is significantly less forbidding when you're actually in town, rather than looking at it from across the Schuylkill, and through the riverfront towers that replaced industrial land.  According to Street View they even have pedestrian bulb-outs at the corners.

By the standards of "suburbia", Conshohocken is indeed one of the good ones.  Of course, it was a separate town before "suburbia" was a thing, which is usually the case with those "good ones".
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 04:01:27 PM »

Christ. I don't know about BRTD, but I've never enjoyed playing real-life Frogger.

For what it's worth, the main drag of Conshy is significantly less forbidding when you're actually in town, rather than looking at it from across the Schuylkill, and through the riverfront towers that replaced industrial land.  According to Street View they even have pedestrian bulb-outs at the corners.

[...]

By the standards of "suburbia", Conshohocken is indeed one of the good ones.  Of course, it was a separate town before "suburbia" was a thing, which is usually the case with those "good ones".

That is a much more pleasant image. I see that it has a gridded streets, too, and at a reasonable scale. Not bad at all, although as BRTD's preoccupation seems to have more to do with centrality than with it does with walkability, livability, neighborhood life, and so on, I doubt that it would hold much appeal to him.

I'll be honest, Conshohocken doesn't hold all that much appeal to me, either.  While I don't put a premium on "centrality" per se, I do put a heavy premium on never having to own a car, and that tends to limit my options in a similar– possibly even more stringent– manner.  Obviously not everyone wants to/can afford to be quite the purist I am, so with that in mind I think it's a fine town and we'd be better off with more like it.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies