Computer stuff
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 03:28:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Computer stuff
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Computer stuff  (Read 340 times)
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 21, 2015, 09:31:01 PM »

I recently underwent the task of building my own desktop PC. I've owned several over the years and I love the things.. nevertheless I'd never actually built my own computer, choosing the parts myself, and paying for them with my own money. I'd also forgotten a lot of what I'd learned, so I obsessively studied up and finally built the damn thing. And now that I have somewhat of idea of what I'm talking about again, I'm curious about everyone else and their machines.

Here's what I've got now:

CPU: Intel i7-4790K.. no fancy cooling
MB: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H
RAM: 1 plain 8GB Kingston stick.. no wanky heatsink
HDD: 128 GB SSD for the OS/important applications, 1 TB HDD for stuff
Case: Corsair 900T - It's so pretty!

The only thing I haven't bought yet is a graphics card, since I'm not a huge gamer anyway and the stuff I do play is pretty tame. I went a bit overboard with the processor, probably, but I wanted to try Android development and possibly some video work, plus I wanted to not need to upgrade for a good while.

Anyway, that was a massive upgrade from my very old machine that had 2GB of RAM and was still running XP on a dual-core Pentium 4. What about you guys?

And if anyone has any advice for a graphics card, I'm all ears.
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 10:34:18 PM »

My Pentium K is quite jealous of your 4790k.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 11:23:09 PM »

That has some impressive capabilities itself, though. Did you pick it based on its price? From what I know about it, most people buy it just to have fun overclocking it. You can actually get a higher clock speed than my 4790k - albeit with some major caveats that would affect real performance. For typical simple computer tasks, there's nothing wrong with it.
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 11:32:02 AM »

That has some impressive capabilities itself, though. Did you pick it based on its price? From what I know about it, most people buy it just to have fun overclocking it. You can actually get a higher clock speed than my 4790k - albeit with some major caveats that would affect real performance. For typical simple computer tasks, there's nothing wrong with it.
Yeah I did get it for the price, and for the $60 that I got it for it's amazing(4.5ghz on a 212 Evo and a Z97 Anniversary motherboard form Asrock). If you have some extra cash I really recommend getting about 4gb of RAM and the MSI H81M-P33 motherboard(the least expensive one, it can overclock the G3258) and play around with it.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies