Alabama: Where judges sentence criminals to death over a jury's wishes (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:05:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Alabama: Where judges sentence criminals to death over a jury's wishes (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Alabama: Where judges sentence criminals to death over a jury's wishes  (Read 1653 times)
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: March 21, 2015, 10:35:00 PM »

So apparently, Alabama has this super cool judicial override rule. If a jury decides that you should spend life in prison instead of being put to death, a judge can say, "no, you know what, the jury got it wrong, I say you die." And then you go to jail and you get put to death.

This is a thing that has happened over 100 times in Alabama. Alabama is one of only three states that allows judicial override, and is the only one that has done it in practice. Over a hundred times.

This seems like an incredibly unconstitutional thing. The U.S. Supreme Court has considered taking the issue on, but no dice so far.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/10/us/justices-may-weigh-cases-of-alabama-judges-overriding-juries.html?_r=1

https://www.aclu.org/blog/capital-punishment-criminal-law-reform-prisoners-rights/how-did-lifelong-prison-sentence-iraq-v
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 02:50:24 AM »

Wow, that's bad. I would seriously consider nullifying if I were on a jury in Alabama.

And the judge can just overrule your nullification! Fun state to face a court in.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies