Alabama: Where judges sentence criminals to death over a jury's wishes (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:50:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Alabama: Where judges sentence criminals to death over a jury's wishes (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Alabama: Where judges sentence criminals to death over a jury's wishes  (Read 1630 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« on: March 23, 2015, 01:28:52 AM »

Isn't sentencing the judge's responsibility, and not the jury's?

The death penalty is different. I don't understand how Alabama isn't blatantly violating Supreme Court precedent here. In 2002, in Ring v. Arizona, the Supreme Court ruled that only a jury can find the aggravating factors to impose the death penalty (otherwise, there is a violation of the Sixth Amendment). A judge can only impose the death penalty once the jury has found aggravating factors and recommended said penalty. In the majority on that case, Justice Ginsburg wrote the decision (with Stevens, Scalia, Kennedy, Souter, and Thomas in the majority). Only O'Connor and Rehnquist were in dissent on that case.

I can't see how Alabama isn't in violation of that ruling. Of course, this would hardly be the first time that the state of Alabama refuses to respect and abide by the United States Constitution, so I suppose no one should surprised here. There's no reason why SCOTUS shouldn't summarily rule against Alabama in this case.

As I understand it, Ring said that the judge could not go beyond the facts found by the jury in determining appropriate sentencing. The jury must find that the guilty party is eligible for the death penalty, but they do not need to recommend it.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies