Alabama: Where judges sentence criminals to death over a jury's wishes (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:31:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Alabama: Where judges sentence criminals to death over a jury's wishes (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Alabama: Where judges sentence criminals to death over a jury's wishes  (Read 1651 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« on: March 22, 2015, 06:57:02 AM »

So apparently, Alabama has this super cool judicial override rule. If a jury decides that you should spend life in prison instead of being put to death, a judge can say, "no, you know what, the jury got it wrong, I say you die." And then you go to jail and you get put to death.

I believe Florida and Delaware judges can also override the jury's verdict, but it seems they are not that quick to impose death over life as their colleagues in Alabama.

Obviously elected judges (like in Alabama) are more inclined to pull this in order to appeal to their voters ("look how tough on crime I am"), while in Delaware (where judges are appointed) they issue more "life in prison over death" overrides than the other way around.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 07:00:00 AM »

By the way, here's a bit old (from 2001), but still relevant article about Alabama judges and their approach: http://prospect.org/article/judge-lynch-mob
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies