"Shoot the Gays" Measure May Make Ballot in California
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:39:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  "Shoot the Gays" Measure May Make Ballot in California
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: "Shoot the Gays" Measure May Make Ballot in California  (Read 5371 times)
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2015, 06:06:33 PM »

No, it won't "make the ballot." No one thinks it will make the ballot except for the person who writes headlines and articles for that website to make them clickier.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2015, 06:13:10 PM »

Come to think of it, it might break 10%. This is the lowest I've ever seen a referendum get and even it barely broke 10%. Though it would be interesting to see if this got less.

And you can bring up a couple examples of the type of people who'd unironically support this, but it's clear they're an extreme fringe majority. I still bet that a majority of people who'd sign this would do so only for amusement. The same thing that was clearly happening with this poll.
How'd that one do so well (relatively) in Shannon County?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine_Ridge_Indian_Reservation

While this was clearly a right-wing militia/sovereign citizen backed measure, it's not too hard to see why it would be appealing to such a neglected and disenfranchised people.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2015, 06:20:13 PM »

I wouldn't dismiss the chance it has of making the ballot, there are a lot of extremists out there and those extremists are good at framing ideas as something else in order to get them on the ballot.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2015, 06:30:26 PM »

I wouldn't dismiss the chance it has of making the ballot, there are a lot of extremists out there and those extremists are good at framing ideas as something else in order to get them on the ballot.

It requires over 365,000 people to sign a paper and go on the record as supporting a "final solution" for gays.
solarstorm
solarstorm2012
United States
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2015, 06:31:51 PM »

I have a hard time believing the average Mississippi/Alabama Republican is more liberal than the average California Republican.  I mean, 65% of Mississippians said in a 2000 poll (I think?) that AIDS was a punishment from God, so that would've meant 80%+ of GOPers.

Your reasoning is faulty. You assume that black Mississippi Democrats are more liberal than white Mississippi Republicans. But they're not.
They all live in the Bible Belt and thus they are in no way inferior to each other.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2015, 06:34:09 PM »

It requires over 365,000 people to sign a paper and go on the record as supporting a "final solution" for gays.

That's not how extremists will frame it when they go out with the petition, though. They'll say it's a petition for the defense of marriage or something similar.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2015, 06:39:00 PM »

No, it won't "make the ballot." No one thinks it will make the ballot except for the person who writes headlines and articles for that website to make them clickier.

I tried telling them that already, but hey, we're here on Page 2 anyway.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2015, 07:23:11 PM »

I have a hard time believing the average Mississippi/Alabama Republican is more liberal than the average California Republican.  I mean, 65% of Mississippians said in a 2000 poll (I think?) that AIDS was a punishment from God, so that would've meant 80%+ of GOPers.

Why do you have a hard time believing that. In Mississippi and Alabama you'll get moderates who don't care too much about the parties participating in politics as a Republican because of the bandwagon/wasted vote syndrome.  In California, you have to be a true believe to bother with being a Republican.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2015, 08:01:42 PM »
« Edited: March 22, 2015, 08:03:15 PM by Joe Republic »

CA Republicans are the most right-wing in the country, so of course they'd do something extreme, but this is just terrible. I doubt a Homocaust will get any votes outside of extremists.

Also, this makes me question what CA would be like if the parties were nearly the same like in Rhode Island.

They are?

Republicans in the legislature are, at least:

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2015, 10:19:27 PM »

Come to think of it, it might break 10%. This is the lowest I've ever seen a referendum get and even it barely broke 10%. Though it would be interesting to see if this got less.

And you can bring up a couple examples of the type of people who'd unironically support this, but it's clear they're an extreme fringe majority. I still bet that a majority of people who'd sign this would do so only for amusement. The same thing that was clearly happening with this poll.
How'd that one do so well (relatively) in Shannon County?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine_Ridge_Indian_Reservation

While this was clearly a right-wing militia/sovereign citizen backed measure, it's not too hard to see why it would be appealing to such a neglected and disenfranchised people.

I don't know the background behind this but I don't see why this would be especially attractive to any of the groups you mention. Reads just like something cooked up by an overzealous opponent of corruption.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2015, 11:33:23 AM »

Your reasoning is faulty. You assume that black Mississippi Democrats are more liberal than white Mississippi Republicans. But they're not.
They all live in the Bible Belt and thus they are in no way inferior to each other.

Black Mississippi Dems are definitely more liberal than the Republicans. 

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=173718.0

They overwhelmingly rejected the Personhood Amendment, for instance.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2015, 05:23:54 PM »

CA Republicans are the most right-wing in the country, so of course they'd do something extreme, but this is just terrible. I doubt a Homocaust will get any votes outside of extremists.

Also, this makes me question what CA would be like if the parties were nearly the same like in Rhode Island.

They are?

All the sane ones started voting Democrat?
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2015, 06:59:39 PM »

Admittedly the lawyer who filed this has his PO box a few blocks from my high school.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2015, 09:22:56 PM »

Of course black Mississippi Democrats are more liberal than white Mississippi Republicans on virtually all issues, with gay marriage being the only one that's close...

Also, I'm really skeptical that 65% or whatever of Mississippians ever said AIDS is God's punishment of the gays. If it did happen, it was one of those gotcha loaded questions, and 2000 is too early for PPP.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2015, 09:40:05 PM »

Admittedly the lawyer who filed this has his PO box a few blocks from my high school.

lolorangecounty
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies