"Shoot the Gays" Measure May Make Ballot in California
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:06:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  "Shoot the Gays" Measure May Make Ballot in California
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: "Shoot the Gays" Measure May Make Ballot in California  (Read 5388 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 22, 2015, 08:04:03 AM »

WTF? Who are these people?

http://politicalwire.com/2015/03/21/shoot-the-gays-measure-may-make-ballot-in-california/

The San Francisco Chronicle reports an extreme anti-gay initiative may make the ballot in California.

The measure declares it is “better that offenders should die rather than that all of us should be killed by God’s just wrath,” it would require that anyone who touches a person of the same gender for sexual gratification be put to death by “bullets to the head or by any other convenient method.”

“The measure would also make it a crime, punishable by 10 years in prison and permanent expulsion from the state, to advocate gay rights to an audience that includes minors. It specifies that its constitutionality can be judged only by a state Supreme Court that has been purged of LGBT justices and their advocates. And it authorizes private citizens to step in as executioners if the state fails to act within a year.”
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 08:11:49 AM »
« Edited: March 22, 2015, 08:50:52 AM by Antonio V »

Is there no filter against this kind of whacko initiatives in CA?
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 08:47:43 AM »

Is there no filter against this whacko initiatives in CA?

Not while Orange County has a high per capita, no. 
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 09:30:43 AM »

I hope it does. It won't even get 10% but analyzing where it does best would be fun. Plus it would make the right wing look even more extreme and marginalized in California.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 10:10:51 AM »

I hope it does. It won't even get 10% but analyzing where it does best would be fun. Plus it would make the right wing look even more extreme and marginalized in California.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 10:20:10 AM »

trolololol

It won't get 365,000 signatures.  And even if it does, the CA Supreme Court has the power to keep blatantly unconstitutional measures off the ballot.  Sorry, BRTD.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 10:48:16 AM »

Now we know where Vladimir Putin had been hiding out! It was California all along!
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2015, 11:05:31 AM »

Wow, a month where the LDS Church supports an anti-discrimination measure in Utah and California has something like this pop up...
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2015, 11:06:57 AM »

I think I'll reach or surpass 10% but it won't reach 20% for sure.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2015, 11:07:41 AM »

Those who proposed or sign this measure should be found guilty of hate crimes.
Thankfully, signatures are made public.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2015, 11:37:33 AM »

Don't be surprised to see a ton of wackadoo Berkeley trolls on the list, then. Maybe even a majority.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2015, 12:31:03 PM »

Don't be surprised to see a ton of wackadoo Berkeley trolls on the list, then. Maybe even a majority.

Sometimes you have to become a troll to fight a troll.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2015, 12:34:20 PM »

I think I'll reach or surpass 10% but it won't reach 20% for sure.

Considering that all kinds of fringe views get 10% of adults affirming them, I really wouldn't be surprised if this proposition got 10% in favor.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2015, 12:51:25 PM »

So, the republicans want to become even more of a non-factor in CA then they already are. What a surprise.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2015, 12:57:19 PM »

Uh, that'd be unconstitutional.

Also probably a majority of people signing it would be because they want it on the ballot for the same reason as me, or are just trolling, or just are the types who hold to sign all measures for ballot access on principle.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2015, 01:06:36 PM »

Uh, that'd be unconstitutional.

Also probably a majority of people signing it would be because they want it on the ballot for the same reason as me, or are just trolling, or just are the types who hold to sign all measures for ballot access on principle.

There are more pastors like this than you think, IMO.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w83kIAfuKoE
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2015, 01:22:12 PM »
« Edited: March 22, 2015, 01:25:29 PM by I left my heart in the back of the cab »

Come to think of it, it might break 10%. This is the lowest I've ever seen a referendum get and even it barely broke 10%. Though it would be interesting to see if this got less.

And you can bring up a couple examples of the type of people who'd unironically support this, but it's clear they're an extreme fringe majority. I still bet that a majority of people who'd sign this would do so only for amusement. The same thing that was clearly happening with this poll.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2015, 02:09:37 PM »

But I thought it was only about the sanctity of marriage, not hating gays...
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2015, 02:25:32 PM »

Jennifer Garrison, is that you? Wink

j/k....she's not from California.

But my God, I really don't want to believe this. The latter part basically says that someone can be imprisoned and later on barred from the state for promoting anti-bullying protections in schools to LGBT youth, and school bullying is one of the main reasons why LGBT youth commit suicide. Absolutely sickening.

And the first part of that measure somehow manages to be even worse. I mean I just can't even.....just, whoever proposed this should be jail. Period.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2015, 02:33:13 PM »

Come to think of it, it might break 10%. This is the lowest I've ever seen a referendum get and even it barely broke 10%. Though it would be interesting to see if this got less.

And you can bring up a couple examples of the type of people who'd unironically support this, but it's clear they're an extreme fringe majority. I still bet that a majority of people who'd sign this would do so only for amusement. The same thing that was clearly happening with this poll.
How'd that one do so well (relatively) in Shannon County?

I bet with this one they'll signatures saying something like "sign this to protect the children" from people who don't question it any further.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2015, 03:01:39 PM »
« Edited: March 22, 2015, 03:04:00 PM by Clean Meat Cheap »

CA Republicans are the most right-wing in the country, so of course they'd do something extreme, but this is just terrible. I doubt a Homocaust will get any votes outside of extremists.

Also, this makes me question what CA would be like if the parties were nearly the same like in Rhode Island.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2015, 03:52:48 PM »

CA Republicans are the most right-wing in the country, so of course they'd do something extreme, but this is just terrible. I doubt a Homocaust will get any votes outside of extremists.

Also, this makes me question what CA would be like if the parties were nearly the same like in Rhode Island.

They are?
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2015, 04:03:18 PM »

There's no way this would actually get on the ballot; that said, this really isn't surprising considering Republicans in California either come from the Valley, OC, or the mountains.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2015, 04:08:06 PM »

They are?

Texas and perhaps Oklahoma are somewhat close, but many Republicans in CA either live in a bubble (in the south) or live in such close proximity to the most actively liberal region of the country so take the full-on opposite approach (in the north). The former is likely a bigger explanation as to why but I can't say for sure. The north is probably where some moderation from the party comes in.

States like Colorado (Colorado Springs) and some of the south have likely have further right Republicans, but the median Republican is a more accurate representation so I think CA and TX can safely be called the two most right wing.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2015, 04:51:45 PM »

They are?

Texas and perhaps Oklahoma are somewhat close, but many Republicans in CA either live in a bubble (in the south) or live in such close proximity to the most actively liberal region of the country so take the full-on opposite approach (in the north). The former is likely a bigger explanation as to why but I can't say for sure. The north is probably where some moderation from the party comes in.

States like Colorado (Colorado Springs) and some of the south have likely have further right Republicans, but the median Republican is a more accurate representation so I think CA and TX can safely be called the two most right wing.

I have a hard time believing the average Mississippi/Alabama Republican is more liberal than the average California Republican.  I mean, 65% of Mississippians said in a 2000 poll (I think?) that AIDS was a punishment from God, so that would've meant 80%+ of GOPers.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies