Is there any difference between the Miliband brothers?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:02:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Is there any difference between the Miliband brothers?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is there any difference between the Miliband brothers?  (Read 1679 times)
hangfan91
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 23, 2015, 11:38:08 AM »

I'm just confused as to why Ed Miliband would run against his brother David (an established Labour Minister).

Is there any sort of difference in policy between the two? Is one further left than the other?
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 11:40:50 AM »

Ed is to the left of David (or was at least perceived to be).
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 02:36:26 PM »

Erm, even as a former David voter, most people would respectfully disagree with this.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 02:46:26 PM »

Why do people hate Ed Miliband? I never understood.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 04:02:25 PM »

Why do people hate Ed Miliband? I never understood.

Hate is a strong word. To say people think of him as a bit of an out of touch, damp squib is probably more accurate.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 04:14:03 PM »

Ed Miliband is decent. People need to watch the 2010 leadership debates, and see that Ed actually had a vision for the country. This what annoys me about Ed, he gets called a weak leader, a squib etc when in fact he's been the most powerful leader of the opposition since Attlee.

David Miliband, in 2010 was an unshameful new labour Blairite, who backed away from challenging Brown in 2008 (Something he should of done). He ran pretty much like Clinton did in 2008-basically a safe establishment candidacy that refused to accept that New Labour had failed in some areas.

There's an idea from the Tory press that David is better, when in fact David would have voted to attack Syria in 2013 (leaving it open to ISIS) David would never have stood up to Murdoch and David would never of pledged to cut tution fees whilst hitting pensioners.

Ed Miliband is the best the left are going to get, and if he loses then well we're going to be ed
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 04:27:15 PM »

Ed Miliband is decent. People need to watch the 2010 leadership debates, and see that Ed actually had a vision for the country. This what annoys me about Ed, he gets called a weak leader, a squib etc when in fact he's been the most powerful leader of the opposition since Attlee.

David Miliband, in 2010 was an unshameful new labour Blairite, who backed away from challenging Brown in 2008 (Something he should of done). He ran pretty much like Clinton did in 2008-basically a safe establishment candidacy that refused to accept that New Labour had failed in some areas.

There's an idea from the Tory press that David is better, when in fact David would have voted to attack Syria in 2013 (leaving it open to ISIS) David would never have stood up to Murdoch and David would never of pledged to cut tution fees whilst hitting pensioners.

Ed Miliband is the best the left are going to get, and if he loses then well we're going to be ed

Should we lose in May, that'll be the tragic thing about Ed's leadership. He has so much potential and he's proved that he's a better leader than David ever could've been, but nobody seems to have noticed.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 04:30:36 PM »

I'd say David is an 8, but Ed is a 7. Ed is more the guy you bring home to your parents though.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 04:37:50 PM »

Should we lose in May, that'll be the tragic thing about Ed's leadership. He has so much potential and he's proved that he's a better leader than David ever could've been, but nobody seems to have noticed.

I know, part of me thinks it's that the Tories are generally fearful of him and have thrown everything against him (Two kitchens, his dad, tax evasion etc) but it's got a bit to do with the natural decline of labour in general.

But yeah he's the best we're going to get policy wise-no doubt the next leader will be a managerial type who'll assume that Miliband was too left wing, and too weird. It's going to be a hard couple of months
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 04:39:00 PM »

Indeed, Ed always struck me as one of the most principled Laborites remaining. I'm glad he won in 2010, and I'm sure he would make a decent PM.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 07:34:02 AM »

There's certainly just something about Ed that makes him get under the Tory's skin more than his brother would've.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 09:20:13 AM »

In terms of political views, there doesn't really seem to be much difference, though Ed ended up in a different faction of the Party to David and generally that's what matters more. In terms of personality, Ed is clearly significantly more ruthless which is why he's a better politician.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies