The Madeleine & Anvi Gallery of Excellent Effortposts (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:17:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Madeleine & Anvi Gallery of Excellent Effortposts (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Madeleine & Anvi Gallery of Excellent Effortposts  (Read 2602 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« on: March 24, 2015, 01:15:55 PM »

Sam Spade is damaged beyond repair, so I thought I would set up a new one. Please do not argue in it and no short posts.

Am afraid I'm going to have to disappoint you. I was going to write a long post describing my frustration with... certain elements demeanor on the forum but I've decided it's not worth the effort. I'll just say, Politicus, that your tendency to try to "shut down" debate when its not to your liking, as you are doing here, try to tell people what or is or isn't appropriate to post, or to ignore those who've earned your disdain (which, unsurprisingly, may be what makes their reactions to what you post so contemptuous in the first place), is not particularly pleasant and, frankly, comes off as arrogant in the extreme. (I was going to use the line "occasionally imperious and self-righteous demeanor".) I'll give just one example of what I am talking about:

@Charlotte

You are a funny kind of a lass, aren't you? On top of your usual self-righteous attitude you are now lecturing a native speaker of Estonian on how to properly translate Estonian political party names.

It is the Moderate People's Party, not People's Party Moderates.

''Rahvaerakond'' - People's Party. ''Mõõdukad'' - Moderates. ''Rahvaerakond Mõõdukad'' - People's Party Moderates. Moderate People's Party would be ''Mõõdukas Rahvaerakond'' in Estonian. See the difference?

Now of course the real name did sound clumsy, but it did so both in Estonian as well as in English. While they were trying to rebrand themselves around the late 2003 some commentators humorously suggested that, well, why not just take all the proposed names and rename themselves e.g. ''Social Democratic Labour Party Moderates''.

Look, I like you, politicus, quite a bit (no, not in that way Tongue). Your analysis on the elections and politics of the more overlooked parts of the world are damn near invaluable on a forum where, say, provincial by-elections in Canada get more attention than (more important, objectively speaking) elections in other parts of the world; general elections in Indonesia or Nigeria, or indeed, most parts of the world where white men do not tend to live, even if I honestly might snicker when you cover elections in the Marshall Islands or whatnot- one, after all, could treat Rwandan elections the same way, which I would disagree. So to each her own. But I think this is something, if not something everyone is going to agree with me on, that needed to be said. And no, not by PM.

Now, if we're wondering about people getting off topic in Post Galleries and Institutes and the like, perhaps the moderators should consider splitting off the divergent discussion into a separate thread in a more relevant part of the forum. You can do that, right?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies