Opinion of The Sound of Music.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:44:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Opinion of The Sound of Music.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion of The Sound of Music.
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 23

Author Topic: Opinion of The Sound of Music.  (Read 998 times)
retromike22
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 23, 2015, 02:16:59 PM »

In light of the 50th anniversary.

FF.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 02:21:18 PM »

racist/fascist trash (normal): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AduaJaFoK9M
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 06:30:16 PM »

One of best musicals ever, and it truly deserved it's Best Picture Oscar...Though it's disturbing how many people, especially in Austria don't know that "Eedelwiess" isn't the Austrian national anthem.

In addition Julie Andrews got robbed of a second Oscar for Best Actress for being Maria Von Trapp, IMO, maybe the writing staff made the role to much Mary Poppins (also portrayed by Julie Andrews)?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 06:43:42 PM »

Wonderful music.  When my son was in kindergarten, during his first year of piano lessons he learned  "Edelweiss", "My Favorite Things", and "Do-Re-Mi."  Mary Poppins had some songs that he learned as well.  Sometimes I get those confused.  I think that one featured Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, which he also learned to play.  Later, in the second grade his teacher gave him the score of "Climb Every Mountain."  Anyway, I remember us all watching the Sound of Music together.  Before we watched it together, I'd forgotten about all the politics and the gun violence near the end, but otherwise it was a very fun and exciting movie for us to watch when he was young.

Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 06:45:45 PM »

For once, Zizek may have a point. Tongue
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 09:52:04 PM »

Freedom Musical
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 10:08:58 PM »

FM (Not Lief/Zizek/insert some communist poster here)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 10:13:53 PM »

FM (Not Lief/Zizek/insert some communist poster here)

I am not a communist and Zizek's analysis of the film has absolutely nothing to do with communism or Marxism.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 02:52:50 AM »

Got nothing out of that. Maybe it's an accent divide, but I couldn't seem to understand it. Seems he's basically saying that the Nazis are presented as upper-class and cosmopolitan, as opposed to the noble-hearted small town Austrians, and that this represents our fear of cosmopolitan Jews and how they would perceivably threaten our way of life. Seems like too far a logical leap to make. The depiction of the protagonists being kind-hearted, rural, small town residents being confronted by antagonistic, upper-class, urban, cosmopolitan, etc. is ages old and to my (albeit anecdotal and subjective) knowledge, it has little to do with anti-semitism. Obligated to vote Freedom Musical due to the absurdity of this argument.

Maybe that is because you're American. European anti-semitism and fascism is kind of defined by this notion which recurs in European culture all the time.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 01:17:58 PM »

Wonderful music.  When my son was in kindergarten, during his first year of piano lessons he learned  "Edelweiss", "My Favorite Things", and "Do-Re-Mi."  Mary Poppins had some songs that he learned as well.  Sometimes I get those confused.  I think that one featured Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, which he also learned to play.  Later, in the second grade his teacher gave him the score of "Climb Every Mountain."  Anyway, I remember us all watching the Sound of Music together.  Before we watched it together, I'd forgotten about all the politics and the gun violence near the end, but otherwise it was a very fun and exciting movie for us to watch when he was young.

Perhaps you should watch the German version which ends at the wedding.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 01:41:19 PM »

Got nothing out of that. Maybe it's an accent divide, but I couldn't seem to understand it. Seems he's basically saying that the Nazis are presented as upper-class and cosmopolitan, as opposed to the noble-hearted small town Austrians, and that this represents our fear of cosmopolitan Jews and how they would perceivably threaten our way of life. Seems like too far a logical leap to make. The depiction of the protagonists being kind-hearted, rural, small town residents being confronted by antagonistic, upper-class, urban, cosmopolitan, etc. is ages old and to my (albeit anecdotal and subjective) knowledge, it has little to do with anti-semitism. Obligated to vote Freedom Musical due to the absurdity of this argument.

Maybe that is because you're American. European anti-semitism and fascism is kind of defined by this notion which recurs in European culture all the time.

But this is basically to give to fascism the credibility that it was in fact what it claimed to be in terms of the upholding of traditional bucolic way of life and national freedoms.  Whereas the Sound of Music is saying, it is not those things but a threat to those things, at least when discussing Nazism.  One might argue that the Sound of Music is upholding the softer fascism of Dollfuss as superior and more authentic than the totalitarian fascism of Hitler. But Fascism itself is not wholly identified with the sort of life extolled by the Sound of Music, as demonstrated by the connection of the Futurist aesthetic to Italian Fascism.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 01:56:16 PM »

It's actually the German border that they're walking towards at the end of the film.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies