Presidential Survivor Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:07:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Presidential Survivor Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: Presidential Survivor Discussion  (Read 13719 times)
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: May 13, 2005, 08:41:41 PM »

Meaningless, FDR had to end the Great Depression and win WWII.
Well, to be fair, the increased deficit spending did not end the Great Depression.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #101 on: May 13, 2005, 11:46:14 PM »

Where are all the "civil libertarian" Democrat nutjobs complaining about Lincoln? I think putting states under martial law is a little worse than the Patriot Act.

We're anti-slavery.

Are you anti-terrorism?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #102 on: May 14, 2005, 01:06:43 AM »

Where are all the "civil libertarian" Democrat nutjobs complaining about Lincoln? I think putting states under martial law is a little worse than the Patriot Act.

We're anti-slavery.

Are you anti-terrorism?

We have no problem with putting terrorists under martial law.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #103 on: May 14, 2005, 02:36:06 AM »

We're anti-slavery.

Are you anti-terrorism?

We have no problem with putting terrorists under martial law.

Givent hat terrorists have cells throughout the United States, I think the above statement is of dubious accuracy.

We're anti-slavery.

Don't forget pro-terrorism.

After all, this is the implication of your post, that suspending civil liberties is acceptable in the case of defeating something that is wrong, but not in cases where there is not something that must be defeated.

I can only deduce that you believe slavery was bad but terrorism is not.

Foolish Jedi, your powers are no match for me.

The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #104 on: May 14, 2005, 02:44:01 AM »

The national debt did not increase as fast as it did under Democrat hero FDR.  The Iran-Contra Affair saved central America from communism.  His economic policies ended stagflation and tripled the value of the stock market.  Unemployment and inflation were both lower at the end of his term than at the start.

Next time you think about saying something, play it safe and stay quiet.

Meaningless, FDR had to end the Great Depression and win WWII. Since World War II, the national debt / GDP has gone down under every Democratic President (Truman, Kennedy, Johnson, Carter, Clinton). It's gone up under the last 4 Republicans (the Bushes, Ford, and Reagan), in particular Dubya and Reagan.

This is all while every Democratic President for the last 80 years had a higher average annual percentage increase in the number of jobs than every Republican President.

Even before WWII, the deficits adjusted for inflation surpassed the 80s deficits.

These deficits did not end the depression.  When the draft was instituted in 1939, Unemployment was at 17%.

Your comments are contradictory anyway.  I say Reagan bought victory against Stagflation and in the Cold War.  You say it doesn't matter because he had deficits.  I point out that FDR had larger deficits.  You say it doesn't matter becasue he had a war to win and a recession to end.  Either its worth it to buy foreign and domestic gains and pay for them with deficits or its not.

The Democrats also had greater difficulty with inflation.  If you knew anything about econnomics, you'd know that there is a trafeoff between the two.  This is why there is a Political Compass question about inflation v. unemployment.  Republicans fight inflation, Democrats fight unemployment.

The national debt did not increase as fast as it did under Democrat hero FDR.
I never implied that I had any particular affection for Roosevelt's presidency.

While I applaud Reagan for his tax cuts, his economic policy was, in my view, undermined by the ridiculous increases in defense spending. These absurdly high increases were far from necessary.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Nevertheless, the actions involved contravened the law and the will of Congress.

I obviously disagree that his defense spending was unjustified, but that's another matter.  The defense spending boosted the economy by creating jobs both in and out of the military, so I don't see how it hurt the economy.  As for Iran-Contra, Lincoln's actions violated the Constitution and the will of the Supreme Court.  The law can become a secondary matter in wartime situations.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #105 on: May 14, 2005, 05:41:54 AM »

The Republicans reacted to the Democrats attempting to knock off Dubya by beating you guys at your own game and taking out FDR and LBJ. Then again, you try to knock off Dubya and barely are able to before Clinton gets taken out. Now, you try to vote off the best President since Truman just because he was a Republican.

Absolutely correct.  Certain Democrats on this board have been on a single-minded crusade to eliminate George W. Bush from day one.  That is the only reason the rest of us voted off LBJ and FDR.

In their typical fashion, they claim that their drive against Bush is to seek revenge for FDR and LBJ, which is about on the level with most of their logic, since their drive against Bush is the only reason FDR and LBJ were eliminated when they were.

There was no move to get rid of Clinton until after the Democrats voted off George W. Bush, which we could have prevented if not for the fecklessness of certain people on our side.

Certain of the Democrats have barely voted for anybody but George W. Bush.  I can't think of any Republicans who have exhibited such single-minded hostility to any Democratic president (Lincoln is the only recipient of the consistent hostility of certain Republicans, ironically). 

It's amazing that in a historical game, these people would first focus on the president for whom we have the least historical perspective, and be willing to pay such a steep price for voting him off.  This is why the people and policies that these type of people support should never be returned to power.  They are truly dangerous because they are much more motivated by negative than positive things.  And now it's our job to make them pay a very steep price for their actions.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #106 on: May 14, 2005, 02:43:41 PM »

The Republicans reacted to the Democrats attempting to knock off Dubya by beating you guys at your own game and taking out FDR and LBJ. Then again, you try to knock off Dubya and barely are able to before Clinton gets taken out. Now, you try to vote off the best President since Truman just because he was a Republican.

Absolutely correct.  Certain Democrats on this board have been on a single-minded crusade to eliminate George W. Bush from day one.  That is the only reason the rest of us voted off LBJ and FDR.

In their typical fashion, they claim that their drive against Bush is to seek revenge for FDR and LBJ, which is about on the level with most of their logic, since their drive against Bush is the only reason FDR and LBJ were eliminated when they were.

There was no move to get rid of Clinton until after the Democrats voted off George W. Bush, which we could have prevented if not for the fecklessness of certain people on our side.

Certain of the Democrats have barely voted for anybody but George W. Bush.  I can't think of any Republicans who have exhibited such single-minded hostility to any Democratic president (Lincoln is the only recipient of the consistent hostility of certain Republicans, ironically). 

It's amazing that in a historical game, these people would first focus on the president for whom we have the least historical perspective, and be willing to pay such a steep price for voting him off.  This is why the people and policies that these type of people support should never be returned to power.  They are truly dangerous because they are much more motivated by negative than positive things.  And now it's our job to make them pay a very steep price for their actions.

I'm pretty sure this couldn't have been said better.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #107 on: May 14, 2005, 03:45:58 PM »

Absolutely correct.  Certain Democrats on this board have been on a single-minded crusade to eliminate George W. Bush from day one.
I completely agree, but I wish to add that there have been members of the other party "crusading" to eliminate Democratic Presidents, too. Neither side should bear all of the blame.

We still have some 19th century presidential deadwood to get rid of, e.g. Chester Arthur.

Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #108 on: May 14, 2005, 04:09:50 PM »

Some Democrats (EarlAW, jfraud, etc) have voted exclusively for Bush throughout the entire game. The only Republicans who has done that has been StatesRights, ironically, voting for a Republican.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #109 on: May 14, 2005, 04:14:53 PM »

The worst President (George W. Bush) was elimianetd AFTER the best President (FDR). Dubya is gone, get over it.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #110 on: May 14, 2005, 04:16:50 PM »

Some Democrats (EarlAW, jfraud, etc) have voted exclusively for Bush throughout the entire game. The only Republicans who has done that has been StatesRights, ironically, voting for a Republican.
Well, for what it's worth, Lincoln was practically a RINO.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #111 on: May 14, 2005, 06:07:14 PM »

Er, I'm not really a Republican.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #112 on: May 17, 2005, 02:44:12 AM »

New topic:  Coolidge deserves to go.  His tax cuts are overrated (They only cut taxes from wartime to postwar levels anyway) and he let speculation and the like continue and this allowed the stock market crash.  He skipped town instead of run for another term largely because he probably knew wherethings were going.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #113 on: May 17, 2005, 05:03:37 PM »

New topic:  Coolidge deserves to go.  His tax cuts are overrated (They only cut taxes from wartime to postwar levels anyway) and he let speculation and the like continue and this allowed the stock market crash.  He skipped town instead of run for another term largely because he probably knew wherethings were going.

Maybe next turn. At least he didn't shut down all the newspapers that criticized him.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #114 on: May 17, 2005, 08:30:04 PM »

Maybe next turn. At least he didn't shut down all the newspapers that criticized him.

Yes, Lincoln was a horrible "president".
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #115 on: May 17, 2005, 08:36:15 PM »

Not everyone supported going back to pre-war levels, and in fact, not even Coolidge could accomplish that.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #116 on: May 20, 2005, 05:04:58 AM »

Vote Coolidge to save Reagan, Lincolnc, and Polk.
Schmitz in 1972
Liberty
United States

« Reply #117 on: May 20, 2005, 05:36:16 PM »

No! Coolidge was a principled decent man and a good president. Vote off Kennedy or Eisenhower or someone like that

BTW I think we have a new winner for the closest, most intense round ever
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix
E: 8.50, S: -0.62

« Reply #118 on: May 24, 2005, 03:06:34 PM »

Now continued here.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies