FL-SEN: Is Rubio about to bungle it?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:57:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  FL-SEN: Is Rubio about to bungle it?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 43
Author Topic: FL-SEN: Is Rubio about to bungle it?  (Read 103807 times)
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #650 on: June 10, 2016, 12:18:22 PM »

Charlie Crist is an insanely good campaigner, so there still is much faith in that race.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #651 on: June 10, 2016, 12:45:46 PM »

I have to admit it, it would be pretty damn hilarious to see Crist lose again in such a Democratic district.

Maybe then he can move to a D+20 district and lose there too.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #652 on: June 10, 2016, 05:19:25 PM »

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/election/article82299122.html

Gwen Margolis sure has been and still is a rather nasty old shrew.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #653 on: June 12, 2016, 05:06:35 PM »

I have to admit it, it would be pretty damn hilarious to see Crist lose again in such a Democratic district.

I like Crist, but he's lost too much credibility.  To be on John McCain's VP short list, then to become a moderate Independent, then to be a liberal Democrat is too much for some to believe.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #654 on: June 12, 2016, 07:18:55 PM »

I like Crist, but he's lost too much credibility.  To be on John McCain's VP short list, then to become a moderate Independent, then to be a liberal Democrat is too much for some to believe.

The good thing is that he can't afford to change political parties again, so he's locked into being a Democrat for the rest of his political life.
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #655 on: June 12, 2016, 07:29:26 PM »

I endorsed Crist for governor in 2014, but only because Rick Scott was utterly terrible. I'd vote for Jolly over Crist in a heartbeat. I don't believe Crist has any real political beliefs at all.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #656 on: June 12, 2016, 07:38:12 PM »

I endorsed Crist for governor in 2014, but only because Rick Scott was utterly terrible. I'd vote for Jolly over Crist in a heartbeat. I don't believe Crist has any real political beliefs at all.
Of course he doesn't. He will literally say anything, and believe whatever just to try to win. Unfortunately, that doesn't keep people in the Tampa/St. Petersburg area from voting for him. The people over there seem to love him.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #657 on: June 13, 2016, 09:08:49 AM »

Is Rubio going to use the Orlando shooting as an excuse to get back in?

Hugh HewittVerified account
‏@hughhewitt
.@marcorubio, deeply impacted by shooting, tells me he has to rethink all his plans, talk with his family, consider his service...
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #658 on: June 13, 2016, 09:15:43 AM »

Unless he plans on running as the pro-gun control candidate, there wouldn't be much point to saying that if he's getting back in.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #659 on: June 13, 2016, 11:50:11 AM »

He might run for reelection. However, he abandoned his Senate seat in order to run for president. Also, he'll look like a flip-flopper, and he hates the Senate anyway, as was reported by the Washington Post in 2015.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/06/rubio-shootings-are-to-break-senate-promise.html
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #660 on: June 13, 2016, 12:30:17 PM »

Is Rubio going to use the Orlando shooting as an excuse to get back in?

Hugh HewittVerified account
‏@hughhewitt
.@marcorubio, deeply impacted by shooting, tells me he has to rethink all his plans, talk with his family, consider his service...
Don't do it, Marco!
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #661 on: June 13, 2016, 05:47:38 PM »

Long Caputo story: Rubio is reconsidering, but still murky.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #662 on: June 13, 2016, 06:07:19 PM »

If Rubio runs for reelection because of this, he is officially a lower, scummier form of life than Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton.

I think it's more likely that he uses this attack as an excuse to relaunch his career in the form of a gubernatorial campaign. I didn't think he'd run at all in 2018 until the recent Senate chatter, and that doesn't change the fact that Putnam will have the money, the conservative base, some pretty solid unused research, and the backing (unofficially) of the RPOF itself plus pretty much all of the row officers and most of the non South Florida legislators.

Rubio isn't going to be living a mile up Brevard Street from me in January 2019, but he might try for it. If he does, he's more nakedly ambitious and stupid than I thought.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #663 on: June 13, 2016, 09:37:53 PM »

If Rubio runs for reelection because of this, he is officially a lower, scummier form of life than Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton.

I think it's more likely that he uses this attack as an excuse to relaunch his career in the form of a gubernatorial campaign. I didn't think he'd run at all in 2018 until the recent Senate chatter, and that doesn't change the fact that Putnam will have the money, the conservative base, some pretty solid unused research, and the backing (unofficially) of the RPOF itself plus pretty much all of the row officers and most of the non South Florida legislators.

Rubio isn't going to be living a mile up Brevard Street from me in January 2019, but he might try for it. If he does, he's more nakedly ambitious and stupid than I thought.

This.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #664 on: June 14, 2016, 02:15:09 AM »

"The massacre in Orlando has reminded Marco Rubio of his dedication to civic service, and so he will return to the Senate to sponsor more anti-gay and pro-gun legislation"
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #665 on: June 14, 2016, 05:42:30 AM »

Nah, he's not running for governor.  It's another run for president in 2020 (assuming Trump loses this November) or bust.  *Maybe* he also reverses himself and runs for Senate again this year.  But I don't see him running for governor.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #666 on: June 14, 2016, 05:56:13 AM »

The good thing is that he can't afford to change political parties again, so he's locked into being a Democrat for the rest of his political life.

No, he'll become a Libertarian and Gary Johnson's running-mate in 2020.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #667 on: June 14, 2016, 06:59:09 PM »

Nah, he's not running for governor.  It's another run for president in 2020 (assuming Trump loses this November) or bust.  *Maybe* he also reverses himself and runs for Senate again this year.  But I don't see him running for governor.

Never underestimate Marco's capacity for stupidity and ambition. If he thinks his chances will be better in 2020 if he runs for Governor, he will risk and all and run in a primary that he is destined to lose. If not, he still runs in 2020.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #668 on: June 14, 2016, 07:11:11 PM »

The following tweets are from Peter Schorsch, one of Florida's best political journalists.

Chess pieces of #FlaPol being moved around the board tonight to make it easier for @MarcoRubio to run for re-election … /1

...lots of chatter about if @MarcoRubio runs for re-election, Carlos @LopezCantera will run for Florida CFO in 2018. … /2

... several donors with overlapping affinities to @MarcoRubio & @LopezCantera say if CLC drops, they’ll back the LG for CFO in 2018 … /3

...none of that is coming from @MarcoRubio himself of course and there’s no quid pro quo, but a gentle landing is being lined up for CLC ...

...also lots of chatter about if @marcoRubio runs for re-election, @RonDeSantisFL won’t run again for CD 6, but will run for AG in 2018 … /5

...of course @BradHerold has to deny this, but DeSantis for A.G. is real. ... (NOTE, Herold is DeSantis's campaign manager and a friend of mine. I haven't spoken to him about the campaign at all lately since he visited my office a few weeks ago, and we mostly talked about stuff in our personal lives-obviously this stays on Atlas).

...one six-figure donor to @MarcoRubio says Senator’s biggest hesitancy is not OK from wife, but running on same ticket as @RealDonaldTrump.

I have been out of the office for a week as of today, so I don't know what's going on anymore. Last I heard, there was no indication of Rubio running again but the chatter is starting to sound a bit more serious. I think he is looking at it. He better not run and if he does, I pray that DeSantis stays in. He can possibly outflank Rubio (the dude lost his home state by twenty points) and win, and even if Rubio does win, nothing prevents DeSantis from running for AG or Senator in 2018.

mencken
« Reply #669 on: June 14, 2016, 07:23:49 PM »

The following tweets are from Peter Schorsch, one of Florida's best political journalists.

Chess pieces of #FlaPol being moved around the board tonight to make it easier for @MarcoRubio to run for re-election … /1

...lots of chatter about if @MarcoRubio runs for re-election, Carlos @LopezCantera will run for Florida CFO in 2018. … /2

... several donors with overlapping affinities to @MarcoRubio & @LopezCantera say if CLC drops, they’ll back the LG for CFO in 2018 … /3

...none of that is coming from @MarcoRubio himself of course and there’s no quid pro quo, but a gentle landing is being lined up for CLC ...

...also lots of chatter about if @marcoRubio runs for re-election, @RonDeSantisFL won’t run again for CD 6, but will run for AG in 2018 … /5

...of course @BradHerold has to deny this, but DeSantis for A.G. is real. ... (NOTE, Herold is DeSantis's campaign manager and a friend of mine. I haven't spoken to him about the campaign at all lately since he visited my office a few weeks ago, and we mostly talked about stuff in our personal lives-obviously this stays on Atlas).

...one six-figure donor to @MarcoRubio says Senator’s biggest hesitancy is not OK from wife, but running on same ticket as @RealDonaldTrump.

I have been out of the office for a week as of today, so I don't know what's going on anymore. Last I heard, there was no indication of Rubio running again but the chatter is starting to sound a bit more serious. I think he is looking at it. He better not run and if he does, I pray that DeSantis stays in. He can possibly outflank Rubio (the dude lost his home state by twenty points) and win, and even if Rubio does win, nothing prevents DeSantis from running for AG or Senator in 2018.

Doesn't Rick Scott already have dibs on 2018 Senate?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #670 on: June 14, 2016, 07:32:52 PM »

Here's the article.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #671 on: June 14, 2016, 09:29:00 PM »

Doesn't Rick Scott already have dibs on 2018 Senate?
Apparently. He isn't exactly a strong candidate and he isn't a very unifying figure. A lot of people in the party don't care for him either, though they are more than willing to unite around him in the end because he isn't an asshole like Rubio.

I think Scott needs to retire. He isn't really fit personality wise for politics as it stands and I don't see him being an effective Senator at all. He waffles a lot, but not in a nuanced way. He's way too indecisive on even big issues like Medicaid Expansion. He needs to retire off into the sunset, enjoy time with his wife and grandkids, and build a new mansion somewhere.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #672 on: June 14, 2016, 10:45:47 PM »
« Edited: June 14, 2016, 10:47:26 PM by Vega »

Apparently. He isn't exactly a strong candidate and he isn't a very unifying figure. A lot of people in the party don't care for him either, though they are more than willing to unite around him in the end because he isn't an asshole like Rubio.

I think Scott needs to retire. He isn't really fit personality wise for politics as it stands and I don't see him being an effective Senator at all. He waffles a lot, but not in a nuanced way. He's way too indecisive on even big issues like Medicaid Expansion. He needs to retire off into the sunset, enjoy time with his wife and grandkids, and build a new mansion somewhere.

What makes Rubio a bigger asshole compared to Rick Scott? I have trouble understanding how even an honest or average Republican could like him (Scott). He seems like such an thoroughly dislikable person, even when leaving politics at the door.

You could say the same for Charlie Crist personally, but at least he feigns being likeable or pleasant.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #673 on: June 15, 2016, 07:23:54 AM »

Jolly will announce his plans on Friday.
JMT

« Reply #674 on: June 15, 2016, 08:25:31 AM »

Interesting thoughts. I suppose if donors and many in the party promised to support CLC for CFO in 2018 and Ron DeSantis for AG, perhaps they would step aside for Rubio and hope they have a clear shot for those offices in 2018. It looks like Jolly might drop out of the Senate race regardless of what Rubio does to run for reelection to his house seat this year, and if Jolly loses, he could try for statewide office in 2018 too. Another option if Rubio runs, too, is for any of the candidates to run for the other Senate seat in 2018 against Nelson. It seems as if Rick Scott wants that seat though, and probably will run for it, but he's not very popular. So it'll be interesting to see if anyone takes Scott on in the primary, assuming he runs for the seat.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 43  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies