FL-SEN: Is Rubio about to bungle it?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:08:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  FL-SEN: Is Rubio about to bungle it?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 43
Author Topic: FL-SEN: Is Rubio about to bungle it?  (Read 103690 times)
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: May 11, 2015, 05:09:21 PM »

There's a very annoying contingent of posters on Atlas: Hillary supporters who are constantly buttmad that people call her liberalism into question, and to counteract that they whine and moan any time a conservative Democrat is getting support.

I'm sorry pointing out hypocrisy annoys you. There's no logic whatsoever in bitching about Hillary being a "neoliberal right winger" or whatever then supporting Patrick Murphy who is objectively to her right on basically every issue. Florida is not that different from the country as a whole in terms of the D-R margin, so that excuse can't be used like it could be for someone like Manchin.

Granted, Clinton1996 made a good point in that Grayson would likely run a destructive scorched earth campaign whereas Hillary's opponents won't, but that would explain anti-Grayson views, not so much pro-Murphy views. Secondly, many of the Hillary haters would love it if a candidate ran an intensively negative campaign against her, so it's still an inconsistency.

For the record, I am a Hillary supporter who also supports Sanders run. I want to see Hillary challenged not because I dislike her or want someone else, but because the presidential primaries are very important events in which many issues get attention that wouldn't otherwise. There's a big difference between state primaries and national ones, I know you know that.

Also, equating Florida to the nation at large and saying they are just about equally liberal is misleading. Surely you recognize the difference being willing to vote for Barack Obama or Hillary Clinton, who while liberal are also restrained and pragmatic, and electing just any old Democrat.

And I cannot stress this enough: Alan Grayson will not lose because he's too liberal. Does everyone forget that he's involved in a messy divorce? That he called his opponent a member of the Taliban? If Alan Grayson were a Republican, I'd be salivating for him to get in the race. And at the same time, if Murphy were a Republican I'd be very scared of him.

I'm responding to you and not to Beet, because you seem more honest in your complaints whereas Beet is mostly a contrarian troll.

Well then in that case, I'm not referring to you specifically.

As for your second point, I'm not really sure what you mean by that. Can you elaborate?

And yes, I agree Grayson is an awful candidate in many ways. For the record, I do support Murphy, simply because he seems most electable and I don't think Grayson/DWS could win statewide barring a miracle or a huge wave. I tend to agree with the guy who said Castor would be a decent statewide candidate without the blue dog baggage, but she's probably not running.

Castor would be great, but she has never really seemed interested so Murphy it is.

What I meant in my second point was that when Florida goes blue in Presidential elections, it's usually because the Democrats have compromised or underplayed certain issues. As is tradition in Presidential politics.

Also, saying Florida is about as liberal as America as a whole means less when you remember that A) America is pretty conservative and B ) Grayson or DWS probably can't get elected as President either.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #226 on: May 11, 2015, 07:55:12 PM »

All Democratic Senators vote with the Democratic Party the great majority of the time, and the same is true with Republicans and their party. In Senate elections, you are voting for a vote for the Democratic or Republican agenda. Beet, there comes a time when you need to sacrifice your preferred ideology in a candidate for the sake of winning.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #227 on: May 13, 2015, 07:59:29 PM »

In an interview with the Tampa Bay Times' political editor Adam Smith discussing his offshore investments, Alan Grayson asked Smith: "are you some kind of shing robot? You go around shing on on people?”
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #228 on: May 13, 2015, 08:01:42 PM »

In an interview with the Tampa Bay Times' political editor Adam Smith discussing his offshore investments, Alan Grayson asked Smith: "are you some kind of shing robot? You go around shing on on people?”

Make this man President.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #229 on: May 13, 2015, 08:03:53 PM »

Grayson gonna Grayson.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #230 on: May 14, 2015, 03:36:27 AM »

Freedom fighters

Patrick Murphy (FL-18) introduced a bill to the House that would stop seismic wave testing for oil, being co-sponsored by Gwen Graham (FL-2), Corrine Brown (FL-5), Bill Posey (FL-8), Alcee Hastings (FL-20), Lois Frankel (FL-22), and Debbie Wasserman-Schultz (FL-24).
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #231 on: May 14, 2015, 02:33:27 PM »

Freedom fighters

Patrick Murphy (FL-18) introduced a bill to the House that would stop seismic wave testing for oil, being co-sponsored by Gwen Graham (FL-2), Corrine Brown (FL-5), Bill Posey (FL-8), Alcee Hastings (FL-20), Lois Frankel (FL-22), and Debbie Wasserman-Schultz (FL-24).

But Beet told me that Murphy was a far-right winger!
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #232 on: May 14, 2015, 03:28:11 PM »

Freedom fighters

Meanwhile Alan Grayson has millions of dollars in offshore accounts. Who's the real progressive?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #233 on: May 14, 2015, 06:50:05 PM »

Freedom fighters

Meanwhile Alan Grayson has millions of dollars in offshore accounts. Who's the real progressive?

Still Alan Grayson? It's like saying Hillary Clinton is more progressive than Bernie Sanders because of guns. I'm sure you were joking somewhat but still.
Panda Express

« Reply #234 on: May 15, 2015, 04:22:04 AM »

Freedom fighters

Patrick Murphy (FL-18) introduced a bill to the House that would stop seismic wave testing for oil,

What a leader! It's clear to all now that Murphy is a political behemoth. Stopping seismic wave testing oil is of vital importance.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Wow, Murphy even got Gwen Graham, another political titan on board! Awesome

Coleen Brown?? Murphy got her too?!

and a Rethuglican?? This just shows how Murphy can appeal to the other side. This is why Patrick Muphy strikes fear in to the hearts of Florida politicians

Murphy getting this guy on board shows that minorities adore him.

Her too? This bill is unstoppable!

WTF??? Who the hell asked her to be a cosponsor? Now this bill is ruined and guaranteed to fail. Everything Debbie Wasserman Schultz does is a complete disaster. I am actually questioning Murphy's judgment now. Very poor decision here. You don't make walking wastes of bones and organs cosponsors on your bill.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #235 on: May 19, 2015, 11:25:00 AM »

Grayson's latest rhetoric, this time about his estranged wife: "Golddiggers gotta dig."
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #236 on: May 19, 2015, 11:26:36 AM »

Grayson's latest rhetoric, this time about his estranged wife: "Golddiggers gotta dig."

I heard that today. Lmao he is such a gaffe machine.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #237 on: May 19, 2015, 11:32:14 AM »

Lol he's awesome! I just donated $25 to his campaign.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #238 on: May 19, 2015, 11:55:07 AM »

Congratulations on wasting $25.

I can't wait to laugh at the Murphyslide you Grayson supporters will have to endure on primary election day.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #239 on: May 20, 2015, 07:50:06 AM »

Messy details of Grayson's divorce.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #240 on: May 20, 2015, 03:47:16 PM »

Grayson seems like a pretty despicable person in person. His politics are the only decent thing about him.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #241 on: May 20, 2015, 07:10:38 PM »

Aren't you like a feminist or something (assuming so because you like DWS)? That's a pretty sexist thing for the guy to say.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #242 on: May 20, 2015, 08:05:31 PM »

Congratulations on wasting $25.

I can't wait to laugh at the Murphyslide you Grayson supporters will have to endure on primary election day.

Grayson has proved himself a disgusting human being.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #243 on: May 21, 2015, 09:27:18 AM »

Dan Bongino, yeah the guy who almost won MD-06 last year, is considering running for FL-18.

Between the carpetbagging and being pretty far-right ideologically, I'd guess he'd be the Republican most likely to lose the general.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #244 on: May 21, 2015, 10:41:17 AM »

Dan Bongino, yeah the guy who almost won MD-06 last year, is considering running for FL-18.

Between the carpetbagging and being pretty far-right ideologically, I'd guess he'd be the Republican most likely to lose the general.

#ReadyForBongino
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #245 on: May 21, 2015, 12:32:36 PM »

What is with it with FL-18 and losing northern candidates?? First Schlesinger, now this?
CountryClassSF

« Reply #246 on: May 24, 2015, 05:31:52 PM »

Bongino did a great job last cycle in a gerrymandered district and nearly pulled off a win. He's a fantastic candidate anywhere he decides to run.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #247 on: May 24, 2015, 05:44:21 PM »

Bongino did a great job last cycle in a gerrymandered district and nearly pulled off a win. He's a fantastic candidate anywhere he decides to run.

Not if he's carpetbagging across the country.....
CountryClassSF

« Reply #248 on: May 25, 2015, 12:53:48 AM »

No, but what would FL-18 be if not for carpetbaggers =p
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #249 on: May 25, 2015, 01:05:17 AM »

No, but what would FL-18 be if not for carpetbaggers =p

Point was that a candidate who moves from one state to another state just to run for a house seat is not going to win any hypothetically competitive district.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 43  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies