FL-SEN: Is Rubio about to bungle it?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:37:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  FL-SEN: Is Rubio about to bungle it?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 43
Author Topic: FL-SEN: Is Rubio about to bungle it?  (Read 103654 times)
Panda Express

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #825 on: June 22, 2016, 09:18:40 PM »

Now that Murphy's campaign has imploded,

It's going to take a lot more than that to make Patrick "The Beast" Murphy implode. Beasts on a caliber such as Patrick Murphy don't go down so easily.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #826 on: June 22, 2016, 09:23:49 PM »

That really isn't much of a scandal IMO. It just means that Murphy is as vapid and stupid as Rubio is.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #827 on: June 22, 2016, 09:51:47 PM »

What, you don't think Kelli Chemtrail can hold that seat?
Are you joking? McCain already has far more statewide recognition, and seems to do much better in the polls. He also does better with moderates and Hispanics, who I doubt would be too fond of Kelli Ward. If McCqin is down by 2 (even in a D internal poll), Ward is a weak candidate.
I know she's a garbage candidate; I was kidding.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #828 on: June 22, 2016, 10:02:58 PM »

Congrats Grayson & Rubio. Jesus, even I would be voting for Pam Keith after this.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #829 on: June 22, 2016, 10:07:24 PM »

Can we get a Rubio - Grayson race please? It would be the most hilarious election we've had here in years, besides the childish Scott - Crist race.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #830 on: June 22, 2016, 10:08:03 PM »

Can we get a Rubio - Grayson race please? It would be the most hilarious election we've had here in years, besides the childish Scott - Crist race.

It's looking pretty likely right now!  I can't wait.
mencken
« Reply #831 on: June 22, 2016, 11:16:39 PM »

A bit of a tangent, but will DeSantis be in any trouble for dropping down to run for re-election?
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #832 on: June 22, 2016, 11:21:42 PM »

A bit of a tangent, but will DeSantis be in any trouble for dropping down to run for re-election?
I think he has more cash on hand than the other candidates combined, and I believe at least one of his primary opponents said he (or she) is dropping out with DeSantis's reentry. He may clear the field by the end of the week, but should still be favored to win the primar and general regardless. I don't think Jolly had any primary opposition.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #833 on: June 22, 2016, 11:23:54 PM »

The news on Murphy will be big for a week or two, but will fade when everyone jumps on something else.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #834 on: June 22, 2016, 11:24:00 PM »
« Edited: June 22, 2016, 11:25:37 PM by publicunofficial »

Even as a Democratic hack, I'll admit that Murphy story is bad. Really bad. Not SAFE R bad, but bad.

That being said, it's survivable. This is the kind of revelation that can sink a bad candidate (John Walsh 2014) or not be a big deal at all in the end (Blumenthal 2010, which I'd argue was worse). If Murphy is the political wunderkind some of us believe he is, he'll be able to navigate his way around this.

That being said, if this hits as bad as it can hit, this is probably a Lean R race. And if Gwen Graham suddenly comes into the race 2 days before the filing deadline, I wouldn't complain.

Most of the field dropped out for him, either entirely or moving to the open FL-04 race. Alex Mooney, Brandon Patty, and David Santiago are all out. Only Fred Costello remains.

I was hoping Dems would contest this seat with or without DeSantis, as it moved heavily to the left in redistricting. Obama even won it in '08 by a slim margin.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #835 on: June 23, 2016, 12:38:47 AM »

Even as a Democratic hack, I'll admit that Murphy story is bad. Really bad. Not SAFE R bad, but bad.

That being said, it's survivable. This is the kind of revelation that can sink a bad candidate (John Walsh 2014) or not be a big deal at all in the end (Blumenthal 2010, which I'd argue was worse). If Murphy is the political wunderkind some of us believe he is, he'll be able to navigate his way around this.

That being said, if this hits as bad as it can hit, this is probably a Lean R race. And if Gwen Graham suddenly comes into the race 2 days before the filing deadline, I wouldn't complain.

Most of the field dropped out for him, either entirely or moving to the open FL-04 race. Alex Mooney, Brandon Patty, and David Santiago are all out. Only Fred Costello remains.

I was hoping Dems would contest this seat with or without DeSantis, as it moved heavily to the left in redistricting. Obama even won it in '08 by a slim margin.
Pat Mooney, not Alex (his brother from WV-02). What's the new PVI for FL-06? The old one was R+8. And it should be noted that DeSantis defeated Costello in the GOP primary in 2012, and as an incumbent, he should do so again. Maybe he can run for the other seat in 2018. Also, I remember Walsh's plagiarism (he would have lost to Daines anyway, I think), but what was the deal with Blumenthal (not to get too off track, just curious)?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #836 on: June 23, 2016, 12:47:13 AM »

The news on Murphy will be big for a week or two, but will fade when everyone jumps on something else.
I don't think so - he had a pretty solid record before this, so this is one of the few attacks on him (other than the typical "Hillary rubber stamp") that will really stick, both for Grayson and Rubio. I wouldn't be shocked if we see ads about this from now until November.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #837 on: June 23, 2016, 12:54:47 AM »

Murphy was an idiot for giving them any documents when it was clear how bad it would be. Best to have them speculate based on nothing then to given them the source to claim how much you've been over hyping the record.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #838 on: June 23, 2016, 12:57:57 AM »

I think Grayson wins the primary after this.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #839 on: June 23, 2016, 01:18:03 AM »
« Edited: June 23, 2016, 01:20:03 AM by publicunofficial »

Pat Mooney, not Alex (his brother from WV-02). What's the new PVI for FL-06? The old one was R+8. And it should be noted that DeSantis defeated Costello in the GOP primary in 2012, and as an incumbent, he should do so again. Maybe he can run for the other seat in 2018. Also, I remember Walsh's plagiarism (he would have lost to Daines anyway, I think), but what was the deal with Blumenthal (not to get too off track, just curious)?

Blumenthal was accused of exaggerating his military service during the 2010 campaign. Specifically, saying he had served "In Vietnam" where in reality he was just in the military at the time of Vietnam. It hurt his polling for a while, but in the end it blew over.

And FL-06 is now an R+5 district.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #840 on: June 23, 2016, 03:17:25 AM »

I originally posted this on another thread:

1.The story said it took him nine times to pass the CPA final exam.  And?  He passed it in the end.

2.The story said he was certified in Colorado and not Florida, but that he was working for a CPA firm in Florida.  And?  CPA firms hire lots of non-certified people with a background in bookkeeping or accounting.  I would guess that in most firms, the largest number of employees, if not the majority, are 3rd level accounting students who do the grunt work.

At most, they showed that Murphy stretched the truth in his claim that he was a CPA, when he only had a certification as a CPA in Colorado and not in Florida.

3.The story referred to 'accounting experts who suspect Murphy...'  So, no names given, just 'experts' who have 'suspicions' but no evidence or proof.  Textbook yellow journalism.

I thought the second half of the story on Murphy's claim that he was a 'small business owner' were fairer. Based on that story,  he should refer to himself as an executive in a family owned business and not as a small business owner.  Still, if Rapist Trump's only lie was that he was 'self made' and not that he lies about everything all the time, I wouldn't consider that to be a very big deal.

So, if that's the only evidence that Patrick Murphy lies or stretches the truth, I'd say there isn't much there. I'll wait for the second part of this 'expose', but I'd take it with a grain of salt, as the first half of the first part was either a deliberate hatchet job or was based on a complete misunderstanding of how accounting firms operate.

The story promised to determine whether Patrick Murphy was qualified to be a U.S Senator.  So, I presume Part II will be about his time in the House.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #841 on: June 23, 2016, 05:58:11 AM »

Did anyone other than Adam T and I actually read the article?  There really isn't anything that damaging in it.  
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #842 on: June 23, 2016, 10:33:19 AM »

Well, would you look at that? The Floridems did it again. At this point, even Sol Invictus is starting to look good in comparison.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #843 on: June 23, 2016, 10:52:54 AM »

Here is a link to an article on Murphy's response:  http://floridapolitics.com/archives/214404-patrick-murphy-campaign-pushes-back-cbs-miami-story-exaggerated-business-background

I already wrote that one part of the story was a textbook example of yellow journalism, but if Murphy's response is true, it seems the entire story was a hatchet job.

I suggest an investigation into both the resume of the writer of the CBS news story, Jim De Fede (sarcasm), and into whether he has any ties to the Florida Republican Party or to Marco Rubio or any of the other Republican Primary candidates (serious.)
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #844 on: June 23, 2016, 11:23:26 AM »

That's the saddest refutation I've ever seen in my life. Didn't actually refute a single one of CBS's claims, just twisted the words around a little and tried to get by on technicalities.  You're not the only one who read the story, Adam, and youre not doing anyone a favor twisting yourself into a pretzel trying to defend this scumbag.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #845 on: June 23, 2016, 11:30:41 AM »

That's the saddest refutation I've ever seen in my life. Didn't actually refute a single one of CBS's claims, just twisted the words around a little and tried to get by on technicalities.  You're not the only one who read the story, Adam, and youre not doing anyone a favor twisting yourself into a pretzel trying to defend this scumbag.

We are not talking about Marco Rubio or Rick Scott here.

136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #846 on: June 23, 2016, 11:43:43 AM »
« Edited: June 23, 2016, 11:48:06 AM by Adam T »

That's the saddest refutation I've ever seen in my life. Didn't actually refute a single one of CBS's claims, just twisted the words around a little and tried to get by on technicalities.  You're not the only one who read the story, Adam, and youre not doing anyone a favor twisting yourself into a pretzel trying to defend this scumbag.

Except the whole first half of the story is based on technicalities.  When does a person with a CPA designation actually work as a CPA? (If they're partners in the firm or the owner of a sole firm.)  Did Murphy claim to work as a CPA? (no)  Do all the people who work in accounting at CPA firms need to have a CPA designation? (no).

These are all technical matters and I think this story relies on people not knowing the answers to these questions and assuming that the reporter is truthful.

I suppose you could argue that in saying that he was a CPA, that Murphy did imply that he worked as  a CPA, but he is a CPA and he worked as an accountant.  The only people who actually work as CPAs in an accounting firm are the partners and if you read the Murphy campaign response, he claims to have made it quite clear that he never was a partner at the firm, and he also claims that he actually stated what the nature of his accounting work was at the firm, which I believe the reporter of this story claimed that he had to investigate.

I actually previously wrote that all this story shows is that, at worst, Murphy stretched his resume.  And as I previously wrote, I don't think that is much of an expose.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #847 on: June 23, 2016, 12:18:15 PM »

TN Volunteer, please quit posting about Florida politics until you manage to sit outside one of the top Florida politicos office for eight months. Then you'll know what is going on.

Good god, this so much. TNVolunteer nearly all of your Florida posts have been wildly wrong and completely baseless.

Like his posts about NH
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #848 on: June 23, 2016, 01:02:27 PM »

^We'll see on election day whose posts were more ridiculous. Smiley
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #849 on: June 23, 2016, 01:45:44 PM »

^We'll see on election day whose posts were more ridiculous. Smiley

Okay, so who would a sane, logical person trust more? The myriad of posters who live in or near NH who know for a fact that your inane accusations are false, or a Tennessean who has never been to New Hampshire and just enjoys sharing his conspiracy theories?
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 43  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies