Worst Relationships between Heads of Friendly or Allied Countries
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:27:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Worst Relationships between Heads of Friendly or Allied Countries
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Worst Relationships between Heads of Friendly or Allied Countries  (Read 6403 times)
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2015, 11:43:07 PM »

Ludwig Erhard and Charles de Gaulle weren't very friendly.
I also understand that Kennedy and Ben Gurion had a frosty relationship. 

Is it true that Ike and Churchill didn't get along?

I'm not sure if Ike and Churchill didn't get along (wouldn't surprise me), but I know Eisenhower and Attlee had some heat.

Carter and Thatcher did not like each other at all. Not only because they were opposites in personality and politics, but because Carter was very close with Jim Callaghan (one of the oddest friendships between Prez and PM I can think of), which is a similar situation to what happened between John Major and Bill Clinton because Major and Bush were good friends.

Nobody liked Pierre Trudeau.

Further to that, wasn't there some heat between Dubya and Jean Chretien or Paul Martin?

Personality, yes, but Carter was as much of a privatizer and a deregulator as Thatcher (it's just that as POTUS, there wasn't nearly as much to privatize or deregulate). Carter would be a malicious capitalist pig by the standards of the 1970s Labour Party.

Every serving American politician would have been a malicious capitalist pig if you go by the 1979 and 1983 Labour manifestos. Even many Labour MPs were.

I really meant on social policies was where the major differences lied, perhaps I should have made that clearer.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2015, 11:44:02 PM »

A good early example would be Wilson and Lloyd George.

LBJ and De Gaulle did not get along well. I recall at some point LBJ said that the only way to solve the French issue was De Gaulle's death.

Interestingly, de Gaulle and LBJ avoided meeting each other like a fire. They only meet twice and briefly: at Kennedy's funeral and Adenauer's funeral.

We mentioned Harold Wilson and LBJ in this thread as well didn't we?
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies