Barbados plans to replace Queen with ceremonial president
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:14:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Barbados plans to replace Queen with ceremonial president
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Do you approve of the plan?
Yes, I support subversive ideas.

No, long live the Queen!

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 71

Author Topic: Barbados plans to replace Queen with ceremonial president  (Read 4412 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2015, 03:41:11 PM »

🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2015, 04:50:43 PM »

On a related note, something I've wondered a while: why is the monarchy in Australia seemingly much more divisive and debated than in Canada? I never see anybody, not even dippers or blocists seriously change Queenie's position as head of state, while in Australia practically every elected politician has to have an position in the monarch.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2015, 04:59:42 PM »

Its for the same reason that there are still people in the NSW ALP who want the state division of Londonderry renamed Derry.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2015, 06:22:59 AM »

Fortunately Barbados has a great home-grown queen to replace Liz with.

Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2015, 07:39:05 AM »

Correct me if I'm wrong but I assume NZ and the Aussies will become republican once Liz takes her last breathe
Gunnar Larsson
Rookie
Sweden

« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2015, 08:14:00 AM »

On a related note, something I've wondered a while: why is the monarchy in Australia seemingly much more divisive and debated than in Canada? I never see anybody, not even dippers or blocists seriously change Queenie's position as head of state, while in Australia practically every elected politician has to have an position in the monarch.

My impression is that people in Canada do not really know that they have a queen.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2015, 08:16:53 AM »

Correct me if I'm wrong but I assume NZ and the Aussies will become republican once Liz takes her last breathe

I wouldn't bet on it. Support for a Republic is at a record low in Oz and - more importantly - young people are more monarchist than the middle aged.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/republican-cause-takes-heavy-knock-in-poll-20140201-31u1a.html
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2015, 08:58:27 AM »

young people are more monarchist than the middle aged.

This is one of the most depressing things I've heard in a while...
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2015, 09:06:25 AM »

My impression is that people in Canada do not really know that they have a queen.

This is kinda true. I mean, she's on her money, so all Canadians are aware she is something to us, but are pretty ignorant of her role. We're too busy watching American TV to care.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2015, 10:48:24 AM »

A step in the right direction.  Next thing the people of Britain will liberate themselves from the tyrannical rule of the despotic Queen Elizabeth II.  Then the workers' revolution will spread to all English speaking countries.  In America it will start in the South.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2015, 11:02:55 AM »

That would probably depend on how Charlie does as King. It's true (as has been pointed out already) that patterns of support for Republicanism in Australia are partially generational in character and that specifically the Republican cause is linked with the generations that were young in the 1960s and 1970s (SHAME FRASER SHAME etc), but that doesn't mean that a turnaround is impossible, particularly with a new and less PR friendly monarch. Fundamentally the issue is not an important one, which means that minor changes can theoretically cause large shifts.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2015, 11:04:39 AM »

...but are pretty ignorant of her role.

That would be because she doesn't really have one in Canada. Even her figurehead role is in practice delegated.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2015, 11:06:51 AM »

Anyway. One thing I've always found strange. Why is it that on the whole and in practice British people are better Republicans than the French, even though we've not had a Republic for centuries and they've not had a monarch since the 1870s?
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2015, 11:14:30 AM »
« Edited: April 01, 2015, 11:18:17 AM by Charlotte Hebdo »

That would probably depend on how Charlie does as King. It's true (as has been pointed out already) that patterns of support for Republicanism in Australia are partially generational in character and that specifically the Republican cause is linked with the generations that were young in the 1960s and 1970s (SHAME FRASER SHAME etc), but that doesn't mean that a turnaround is impossible, particularly with a new and less PR friendly monarch. Fundamentally the issue is not an important one, which means that minor changes can theoretically cause large shifts.

The 65+ are the most monarchist in that 2014 poll and people being young in the 60s (= born 1935-1950) are bound to be a majority of those.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2015, 11:17:08 AM »

The 65+ are the most monarchist in that 2014 poll and people being young in the 60s (= born 1935-1950) are bound to be a majority of those.

Young in the late 60s then Tongue

(but I was mostly thinking of stereotypes anyway, so...)
Gunnar Larsson
Rookie
Sweden

« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2015, 11:30:08 AM »

A step in the right direction.  Next thing the people of Britain will liberate themselves from the tyrannical rule of the despotic Queen Elizabeth II.  Then the workers' revolution will spread to all English speaking countries.  In America it will start in the South.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/mar/31/queen-elizabeths-royal-retinue-ponders-revolt/ ?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2015, 11:35:19 AM »

Anyway. One thing I've always found strange. Why is it that on the whole and in practice British people are better Republicans than the French, even though we've not had a Republic for centuries and they've not had a monarch since the 1870s?

What do you mean by better Republicans?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2015, 12:23:09 PM »

Well, France has a head of state-and-government who lives in a palace, who doles out state honours, and who plays a role in state ceremonies of much pomp. Holders of the office frequently engage in vanity projects and personal memorialisation. Just saying.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2015, 12:33:47 PM »

Perhaps it's an affection for big symbols of unified national identity. That Bonapartist urge, I guess.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2015, 01:23:58 PM »

Well, France has a head of state-and-government who lives in a palace, who doles out state honours, and who plays a role in state ceremonies of much pomp. Holders of the office frequently engage in vanity projects and personal memorialisation. Just saying.

Oh, right. You definitely have a point here.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2015, 03:55:54 PM »

Wasn't Jamaica meant to do this back in 2012, then 'forgot' about it?
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2015, 04:39:35 PM »

Wasn't Jamaica meant to do this back in 2012, then 'forgot' about it?
Is there any concrete benefit in being a commonwealth realm? easier immigration into the UK?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2015, 04:53:26 PM »

Apparently in Jamaica PNP want an executive style presidency, while the (right-wing) Labour Party want a ceremonial one.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies