Germanwings A320 crashes in France
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:11:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Germanwings A320 crashes in France
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Germanwings A320 crashes in France  (Read 5346 times)
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2015, 08:27:12 PM »

Obviously depressed people and people who say strange things once should be banned from doing anything ever.

According to her he often woke up screaming "lets rush" and there was a string of other "erratic behaviour" (which is why she got scared of him). It does not sound as if those were trivial things. It was enough to scare her out of a serious long term relationship.

He also had an (undisclosed) mental diagnosis and hid it from his employer. Not generally in favour of discrimination, but people who are mentally ill should not be allowed to fly a (commercial) plane.

(even if the source is Bild, this seems like a legit interview with a sincere and honest woman)

Everyone looks strange once they've piloted a plane into the side of a mountain in a suicide mission. Doesn't necessarily mean their behaviour was meaningful.

As for the diagnosis, I'd need to know exactly what it was before further comment. 'Mental illness' is a wide enough net that soon only middle aged men with mortgages and 'who really dig the Beatles' will be allowed to fly planes, if that is the criteria.

This guy looked a bit more than strange years before committing suicide.

Hated his employer and had rage fits over employment conditions and wages. Could completely change personality when he spoke about it and took his rage out on the girl friend - locking her up and shouting abuse at her. Seems to have been an act of revenge against the company.

Clearly the first person in history who hated his job, raged over low pay and abused his girlfriend. Obviously should have been sent to the nearest psych ward - a disaster waiting to happen.

You conveniently ignore the personality split part and it is also a very callous way to discuss abuse of women. You can be ironic all you want, but if you add it all up there were lots of signs that this guy was unfit to be trusted with something like flying a commercial plane and being responsible for the safety of hundreds of people.

And I assume the girlfriend went forward to the police, a mental health professional or the airline company which her concerns... which might have led to something being done (or not?).

No you do obviously not assume that.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2015, 08:39:45 PM »

My point is that it is very easy to construct post facto narrative 'explaining' what happened. No doubt had this been, say, twenty years earlier we would have heard rumours of whether Lubitz had been abused as a child or had a rough background. Yet from any perspective other than that of omnipresent hindsight there is no way of knowing what should people have acted upon this information, never mind predict the disaster. None of the information provided about Lubitz is really that unusual or suggests that he was going to do what he did. To say otherwise is to attack people with mental health issues and saying they should be prevented from doing things because they were like that guy.

Probably best not to try and 'explain' Lubitz's mental state - tempting though that is - and focus on what can be done to prevent pilots from acting in such ways again.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2015, 08:45:20 PM »
« Edited: March 30, 2015, 08:46:52 PM by Tetro Kornbluth »

Ftr I obviously think that certain people shouldn't be allowed fly a plane but only if they have a certified diagnosis* and not just something built on narratives constructed post facto from fragments of memories (and the data I have seen suggests that these things were acted upon very differently at the time to the way they are seen 'now'... amazing how killing yourself and 150 other people changes people's perception of you).

* (Now there's a real issue - but discussing that would detail the thread completely)
solarstorm
solarstorm2012
United States
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2015, 10:43:24 PM »

Turns out he wasn't even supposed to be on that plane. A psychiatrist had put him on medical leave. But the co-pilot ignored it and - obviously - didn't inform his airline about it either.

This has been proved wrong. Lubitz informed Lufthansa about his depressions - in 2009 during his years as a trainee pilot!!

https://youtu.be/ACd2qd1YXgI

In this video you also can see him flying a glider as a teenager in 2007.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2015, 12:52:34 PM »

Turns out he wasn't even supposed to be on that plane. A psychiatrist had put him on medical leave. But the co-pilot ignored it and - obviously - didn't inform his airline about it either.

This has been proved wrong. Lubitz informed Lufthansa about his depressions - in 2009 during his years as a trainee pilot!!

https://youtu.be/ACd2qd1YXgI

In this video you also can see him flying a glider as a teenager in 2007.

Please stop.

Anyway, I'd like here to link to Mark Ames speculating that this may been a 'going postal'/employee-rage attack as opposed to 'mental illness'. I don't necessarily buy the theory, but at least has as much basis as all the other speculation we've had so far.
solarstorm
solarstorm2012
United States
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2015, 06:14:35 PM »
« Edited: April 06, 2015, 11:39:11 AM by solarstorm »

Update: The flight data recorder was found three days ago. The analyses reveal that Andreas Lubitz accelerated the plane several times before it crashed into the Alps.

Before his pilot training, Lubitz was under medical treatment due to mental issues and acute danger of suicide. He acquainted Lufthansa Flight Training's Pilot School in Bremen of a resolved depressive episode - he even had to break off his apprenticeship for some months - but the civil aviation authority had never been informed about his mental problems, as he owned a valid medical certificate.

Furthermore, German Minister of the Interior, Thomas de Maizière, has brought up an identity card requirement for flights within the entire Schengen area for discussion, as the identification of the victims of 4U9525 turn out to be quite laborious.
swl
France

« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2015, 11:27:11 AM »

I don't remember a single time where I didn't have to show an ID to take the plane from or to France, is it different in Spain or Germany?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2015, 11:31:32 AM »

Yeah, this is odd.

I thought this was changed after 9/11 ?

I'm pretty sure I had to show my passport at the Salzburg airport when I took my flight from Salzburg to New York, via Frankfurt in 2011.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2015, 10:58:29 PM »

http://in.reuters.com/article/2015/04/13/germanwings-evacuation-idINKBN0N407620150413

Someone decided to send a bomb threat to a Lufthansa/Germanwings flight between Cologne and Milan...couldn't be related, could it?
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2015, 04:41:25 AM »

http://in.reuters.com/article/2015/04/13/germanwings-evacuation-idINKBN0N407620150413

Someone decided to send a bomb threat to a Lufthansa/Germanwings flight between Cologne and Milan...couldn't be related, could it?

Well, it's certainly related in the sense that whoever send that bomb threat had probably watched a lot of news coverage on the crash in France and due to the news coverage picked Germanwings as his or her target.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2015, 08:26:51 PM »

Long NYT feature.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies