IN-Sen: Coats retiring
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 12:32:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IN-Sen: Coats retiring
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8
Author Topic: IN-Sen: Coats retiring  (Read 21934 times)
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: May 15, 2015, 10:54:22 PM »

Casey may run for gov; instead he feels Wolf is unpopular enough

Casey is NOT going to primary Wolf. Even you should be able to figure that out.

Not to mention that this line of discussion has NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS THREAD.

Indiana and Pennsylvania merged together and the Governors have been converted to Senators and Governor Casey wants to rerun for his old seat.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #126 on: May 16, 2015, 01:22:37 AM »

The Dems are best off going after OH or FL to pick up that fourth seat. But, if Walker is nominee; anything is possible.

Dems are best off going after every possible competitive seat, not just the most obvious ones. They'll need as many as they can get to have a chance of holding the Senate in 2018. There's a reason Republicans in 2014 didn't stoptt at just WV, MT, and SD.

All eyes will be on Sen Toomey & Portman duo, Dems shouldnt take eyes off those states. But Baron Hill; Feingold, Strickland, and Zopp would be excellent new senators to Dems arsenal. Strickland and Hill are Casey Dems and would stand a chance more or less against the GOP states.

Being a Casey dem is not a sign of strength. Casey let TOM SMITH get within single digits of beating him in 2012. I can easily see him going down in 2018.

Exactly. Between, Santorum's controversial statements and positions, Casey's name, and the environment, he managed to assemble a rather large coalition. But in a race against a lesser known candidate, in a Presidential year of all things, his margin was cut in half. He essentially won not because of Casey Democrat strength in the West and NE (though it did pad the margins versus Obama in the latter), but because of the new Rendell Democratic coalition (Philly plus its suburbs).

2018 will be very interesting. Wink

Not to mention that this line of discussion has NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS THREAD.

Just because Phil is gone doesn't mean other threads are freed from the superiority and priority of discussing Pennsylvania politics. Tongue
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #127 on: May 16, 2015, 06:03:41 PM »

I didnt say he was going to primary Wolf; I said since they are friends, he will resign.
But, Casey can win any office he runs for.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #128 on: May 16, 2015, 06:08:47 PM »

I didnt say he was going to primary Wolf; I said since they are friends, he will resign.

😶😤😷
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #129 on: May 16, 2015, 06:27:21 PM »

Wolf is not going to decline to run for reelection. Sorry, not happening.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #130 on: May 17, 2015, 09:24:32 AM »

Baron Hill faced Mike Sodrel in most of his elections to his seat. Sodrel was a dreadful candidate. As soon as Hill got a non-terrible candidate (Todd Young) he lost fairly easily. Hill won't win this election if it's a normal Hillary win, even against Stutzman.

Hill could definitely beat Stutzman in a normal year, even if he'd be the underdog.  He's a strong candidate and Stutzman is an absolutely terrible one.

Stutzman's got this. Indiana will have a Tea Party Senator.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #131 on: May 17, 2015, 09:52:40 AM »

Baron Hill faced Mike Sodrel in most of his elections to his seat. Sodrel was a dreadful candidate. As soon as Hill got a non-terrible candidate (Todd Young) he lost fairly easily. Hill won't win this election if it's a normal Hillary win, even against Stutzman.

Hill could definitely beat Stutzman in a normal year, even if he'd be the underdog.  He's a strong candidate and Stutzman is an absolutely terrible one.

Err...Stutzman isn't even gaurenteed to be the nominee, especially if Todd Young ends up running.  Plus, I suspect Jim Merrit will siphon off more than a few would-be Stutzman supporters.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #132 on: May 17, 2015, 12:01:28 PM »

Baron Hill definately wont be a pushover; if Dems invest in this race.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #133 on: May 17, 2015, 12:04:15 PM »

Err...Stutzman isn't even gaurenteed to be the nominee, especially if Todd Young ends up running.  Plus, I suspect Jim Merrit will siphon off more than a few would-be Stutzman supporters.
Is Merritt running?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #134 on: May 17, 2015, 03:01:06 PM »

Is Merritt running?

Yep
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #135 on: May 17, 2015, 03:39:39 PM »

Is Merritt running?

Yep
Don't know how much being the only candidate from Indianapolis will help him but he should have run for mayor this year instead
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #136 on: May 17, 2015, 03:42:58 PM »

No offense, but your preferred candidates don't have a good track record Tongue
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #137 on: May 18, 2015, 01:00:29 AM »

Will you be saying that when Rand Paul or Ted Cruz get elected president next November?
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #138 on: May 18, 2015, 01:05:54 AM »

Will you be saying that when Rand Paul or Ted Cruz get elected president next November?

No, because they won't.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #139 on: May 18, 2015, 01:11:36 AM »

I believe Marlin Stutzman will win handily.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #140 on: May 21, 2015, 02:30:40 AM »

No, because they won't.

But they both have a better chance than Hilldawg.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #141 on: May 21, 2015, 02:59:38 AM »

No, because they won't.

ok
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #142 on: May 21, 2015, 03:00:02 AM »

No, because they won't.

ok
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #143 on: May 22, 2015, 08:30:55 AM »

Baron Hill definately wont be a pushover; if Dems invest in this race.

I seriously doubt that the people of Indiana will send two Democrats to the US Senate in a row.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #144 on: May 22, 2015, 09:21:11 AM »

The race, at first looked promising, like the IND gov race; but Dems prospects are best on concentrating on beating Pence; now.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #145 on: June 04, 2015, 03:08:07 AM »

Baron Hill officially enters.  Pols speculate on Hill/Young rematch.
http://blogs.wishtv.com/2015/06/03/could-the-senate-race-be-a-hillyoung-rematch/
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #146 on: June 05, 2015, 11:08:12 PM »

Hill will get Marlinslided
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #147 on: June 05, 2015, 11:21:30 PM »

I was watching a committee hearing on the deficits and entitlement reform and Stutzman came across quite well. It seems his problem is when he gets in front of reporters and makes gaffes. If he can control himself, he will probably do well.

I still think he should have been the nominee in 2010 and not Coats.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #148 on: June 05, 2015, 11:34:45 PM »

I was watching a committee hearing on the deficits and entitlement reform and Stutzman came across quite well. It seems his problem is when he gets in front of reporters and makes gaffes. If he can control himself, he will probably do well.

I agree. Coats has turned out to be a good senator, but considering how good of a year 2010, Coats should have put his ego aside so that Stutzman could get in there and get seniority for Indiana.

This race won't be a cakewalk. Stutzman is to the right of the state, but he is a smart guy.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #149 on: June 06, 2015, 02:05:15 PM »

I agree. Coats has turned out to be a good senator, but considering how good of a year 2010, Coats should have put his ego aside so that Stutzman could get in there and get seniority for Indiana.

This race won't be a cakewalk. Stutzman is to the right of the state, but he is a smart guy.

The only reason I didn't support him in 2010 was I was supporting John Hostettler. This time around I'm firmly with Stutzman. This one is gonna be a fun race for sure.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies