IN-Sen: Coats retiring (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:09:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IN-Sen: Coats retiring (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: IN-Sen: Coats retiring  (Read 21971 times)
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: March 31, 2015, 01:49:03 AM »

I'm backing Stutzman. He's been a solid congressman and a solid former state senator. Yes he's TP (so am I). I've spoken with him and we had a good conversation on currency issues. He's also a member of the Liberty Caucus (so is my congressman Rokita) and he'd be in good company in the senate (Rand Paul, Ted Cruz et al)
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 09:40:47 PM »

I'm backing Stutzman. He's been a solid congressman and a solid former state senator. Yes he's TP (so am I). I've spoken with him and we had a good conversation on currency issues. He's also a member of the Liberty Caucus (so is my congressman Rokita) and he'd be in good company in the senate (Rand Paul, Ted Cruz et al)
That's terrifying.

How so
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 05:09:51 PM »

She's gonna get Tea Partied.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 11:20:10 PM »

You seem stuck in 2010, talking about how everyone is going to get teabagged. In case you didn't notice, the Tea Party lost every single race in 2014.

Joni Ernst, Tea Party and won
Ben Sasse, Tea Party and won

You seem stuck in 2010, talking about how everyone is going to get teabagged. In case you didn't notice, the Tea Party lost every single race in 2014.
*points to Sasse in NE, Brat in VA, Cotton in AR, Ernst in IA, and Lankford in OK.*

Cotton was more establishment than Tea Party, the establishment didn't even try to contest Iowa, and Shannon was the Tea Party candidate in Oklahoma, not Lankford.

Fair point on Sasse/Brat, but the fact remains the Tea Party lost the overwhelming majority of races. Yet according to JCL, tons of incumbent Indiana Republicans are going to get teabagged next year. Oh, and Coats was going to as well until he retired despite the fact that nobody serious was going to run against him. And let's not forget that the Republicans are supposedly guaranteed to win the general if they nominate a Tea Partier like Stutzman, because that worked out so well for Senator Mourdock...

Mourdock lost based on his unwise comments. Stutzman is much more wise in how he'd address that. Wish I'd be more engaged in activism but 2016 very likely has a more glorious event in store for me personally. A Mrs JCL
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 11:38:41 PM »

"unwise comments"

That's putting it lightly.

Had I not personally endorsed him I would've voted for Horning (the Libertarian candidate) over those comments. Just because I'd personally support Stutzman in 2016 if he goes for it doesn't mean there aren't several other Hoosiers I'd also take a long and hard look at.

Rokita (to make a space for Vanatter to run for congress and maybe my first foray into running for the statehouse ((if I weren't working on something much bigger like a Mrs JCL))

John Hostettler, who I backed in 2010
David Macintosh (President of Club for Growth and former President of the Federalist Society)
Jim Buck (my State Senator and one of the leaders for a convention of the state's to get a Balanced a Budget Amendment)

MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 09:50:39 PM »

According to RRH, Todd Young seems to be NRSC's choice.

In other words the establishments choice while the Senate Conservatives Fund and most of the county parties supporting Stutzman.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 01:44:19 PM »

Hopefully Hostettler will run and save the Indiana GOP from Mourdock Part II.

Hostettler is more like Ron Paul. Very similar House voting records. Was my guy in 2010.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2015, 08:24:33 AM »

Only Hostettler running would keep me from endorsing Stutzman.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 11:01:11 PM »

Hopefully Hostettler will run and save the Indiana GOP from Mourdock Part II.

Hostettler is a much smarter individual in how he would phrase policy than Mourdock. I've met him and he'd be a great senator as well.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2015, 09:24:32 AM »

Baron Hill faced Mike Sodrel in most of his elections to his seat. Sodrel was a dreadful candidate. As soon as Hill got a non-terrible candidate (Todd Young) he lost fairly easily. Hill won't win this election if it's a normal Hillary win, even against Stutzman.

Hill could definitely beat Stutzman in a normal year, even if he'd be the underdog.  He's a strong candidate and Stutzman is an absolutely terrible one.

Stutzman's got this. Indiana will have a Tea Party Senator.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 01:00:29 AM »

Baron Hill faced Mike Sodrel in most of his elections to his seat. Sodrel was a dreadful candidate. As soon as Hill got a non-terrible candidate (Todd Young) he lost fairly easily. Hill won't win this election if it's a normal Hillary win, even against Stutzman.

Hill could definitely beat Stutzman in a normal year, even if he'd be the underdog.  He's a strong candidate and Stutzman is an absolutely terrible one.

No offense, but your preferred candidates don't have a good track record Tongue

Will you be saying that when Rand Paul or Ted Cruz get elected president next November?
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2015, 02:30:40 AM »

No offense, but your preferred candidates don't have a good track record Tongue

Will you be saying that when Rand Paul or Ted Cruz get elected president next November?

No, because they won't.

But they both have a better chance than Hilldawg.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2015, 11:08:12 PM »

Hill will get Marlinslided
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2015, 02:05:15 PM »

I was watching a committee hearing on the deficits and entitlement reform and Stutzman came across quite well. It seems his problem is when he gets in front of reporters and makes gaffes. If he can control himself, he will probably do well.

I still think he should have been the nominee in 2010 and not Coats.
I agree. Coats has turned out to be a good senator, but considering how good of a year 2010, Coats should have put his ego aside so that Stutzman could get in there and get seniority for Indiana.

This race won't be a cakewalk. Stutzman is to the right of the state, but he is a smart guy.

The only reason I didn't support him in 2010 was I was supporting John Hostettler. This time around I'm firmly with Stutzman. This one is gonna be a fun race for sure.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2015, 09:19:07 AM »

Todd Young announced his candidacy for Senate yesterday: http://www.indystar.com/story/news/politics/2015/07/12/young-enters-crowded-gop-primary-coats-senate-seat/30050367/

He has my support - Stutzman has been too far to the right. Hopefully he doesn't split the establishment vote with Holcomb.

Stutzman has a lot of respect from both the Tea Party and the Indiana GOP establishment. Stutzman is one of the bridge kind of house members between both factions of the party.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2016, 05:38:55 PM »

Holcomb dropping out will help Young. A lot of the establishment type backers and donors are gonna go to Young. Which is great Young is vastly superior to Marlin.

It'll help Young but Marlin is the better candidate.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2016, 05:49:01 PM »

If Stutzman wins the primary, Baron Hill has a great chance of becoming 2016's Donnelly. Democrats might need it, as they seem to be handing Pennsylvania and potentially Florida to the Republicans.

Baron still has no chance guys.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2016, 03:04:08 PM »

If Stutzman wins the primary, Baron Hill has a great chance of becoming 2016's Donnelly. Democrats might need it, as they seem to be handing Pennsylvania and potentially Florida to the Republicans.

Grayson isn't going to be the nominee. But yeah, if Trump or Cruz get the nomination, this seat is more likely to flip than not.

If Trump or Cruz get the nomination, this seat is locked in as Stutzman's.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2016, 10:15:20 AM »

The Dems arent gonna lose Pennsylvania, Toomey has a 40% Approval. Murphy is going to be nominee in FL. And Portman isnt safe in Ohio.
This literally has nothing to do with Indiana. But Toomey leads Sestak by 15 points in the most recent poll - he's likely going to win. As will Stutzman OR Young in Indiana. Stutzman is very conservative but he is a much more disciplined politician than Murdock was.

And that's why Stutzman (favorite of the grassroots) will become Senator.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2016, 11:41:53 AM »

John Gregg can defeat Pence in a GOP TSUNAMI in Senate race. But, Dems are cutting their loses and focused on IL/WI, OH/NH, and investing in MO/AZ and FL if Murphy  nominated

He could but the passing of Scalia and the issue of court appointments is a game changer. May be a higher turnout race.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2016, 01:52:17 PM »

Governors dont vote on SCOTUS. Dems are going after Portman with Strickland who is nominally pro guns. John Gregg has a 93% rating from NRA.

Justice as well as Gregg are solid gun right supporters.

I was referring of the probability of Gregg beating Pence in the Indiana governors race.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies