How would you replace/fix ObamaCare? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:01:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  How would you replace/fix ObamaCare? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How would you replace/fix ObamaCare?  (Read 7470 times)
AggregateDemand
United States

« on: March 24, 2015, 07:46:24 PM »

Phase-out the income exclusion for health insurance premiums. The exclusion started this mess, and our problems won't go away until we eliminate the cause. Insurance cannot function like insurance, when the federal government tells employers to treat insurance as tax-free compensation.

The US is full of people who make $60,000 in Box 1, and $20,000 in Box 12 Code DD. We are ridiculously over-insured, which creates absurdly overpriced medical services.

After the exclusion is phased-out, eliminate flat-rate copay for non-catastrohpic services.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 08:08:15 PM »
« Edited: March 24, 2015, 08:14:05 PM by AggregateDemand »

Create a National Health Service, ban private insurance.

This is laughable.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 11:09:40 PM »

I fully admit I'm not the most knowledgeable about the law, and because of that I don't debate it much.  However, my dad (who is the CFO of a small, private hospital) is not a fan.  He thinks it is a sort of "moderate hero" (as Atlas would say!) option that 1) doesn't go far enough to address the real problem of so many uninsured people and at the same time is 2) a shade more "liberal" than he thinks would be the best solution.  I've never had an in-depth conversation with him about it.

Accurate characterization. It does almost nothing, other than scoring as many cheap points for liberal Democrats as possible. The costs of obfuscated through layers of bureaucracy that few people can interpret, and the penalties and punishment for non-compliance are so onerous, no one wants them implemented.

Genuinely useless law. Democrats probably thought it would expand their power, allowing Democrat-controlled congresses to season to taste, but ACA did the opposite. It paved the way for Republican reactionaries in the House, and now the Executive Branch is clinging desperately to what remains of a mediocre attempt at reform.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 07:28:53 PM »

In other news, the Pubs have finally come up with with fix for Obamacare, to be put in place if SCOTUS cuts off subsidies to federal exchanges run by the Feds rather than the states who refused to set one up.

The new plan is actually a reversal of the fix. The beginning, middle, and end of our healthcare problems are caused by the foolhardy gross exclusion from income for employe health insurance premiums.

The original fix taxed most healthcare benefits like regular compensation, which stops the frivolous misuse of health insurance by corporations. The new "improved" plan restores the exclusion from gross income. Stupid. We'd be better off letting the Cadillac tax vest in 2018.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies