How would you replace/fix ObamaCare? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:18:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  How would you replace/fix ObamaCare? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How would you replace/fix ObamaCare?  (Read 7448 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« on: March 24, 2015, 01:05:45 PM »

* put all funds currently spent on Medicaid etc into researching medication for immortality
* no need to spend any more on medicine after we all live forever
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 08:04:14 PM »

Yeah guys, as fun as randomly attacking fat people is; it's hardly a productive or efficient way to reduce healthcare costs or obesity...
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 08:01:21 AM »

The way to resist the effect of obesity on healthcosts is to attack its root causes: the overuse of sugar, the promotion of shoddy advice, the lack of time for people in poverty to prepare food for their families etc. Overwraught and moralistic plans (but what if their was a fat tax?Huh) have no real effect at the end of the day, beyond making people feel superior.

Sure, we can go down the 'attack teh FATTIES lol!!!!' route, but it is rather stupid at the end of the day. First it boosts the craven and idiotic ideology of 'fat=unhealthy, skinny=healthy' (which is largely a construct of the insurance industry, rather than medical science). I, for example, have exactly 'correct' BMI but I have no doubt that a lot of people who cross the threshold of BMI are very much healthier than me.

It is very much more efficient to treat people the same, however much you feel they 'did this to themselves'.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 11:10:37 AM »

Of course, we all cost a lot in the end. Perhaps we should be paying people to get fat and smoke so they die prematurely and won't burden the NHS and social care with their elderly frail bodies?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 01:58:34 PM »

At the end of the day, we all use the system a lot when we, err, age and die. I'm very uneasy about the idea of carving everybody up into high-risk and low-risk categories - to me it rather betrays the entire point of public insurance, that pools everybody in a collective net.

The reason I oppose targeting the overweight in particular is its crudeness. The obesity crisis is a societal problem and not an indivividual one, and attempts to attack obesity through shame based tactics is doomed to fail. It only helps the hacks and spivs that run bulls*** programs like Weighteatchers, cosmetic surgeons and the fad diet industry. Targeting the individual in a world where people are literally encouraged to be overeat fructose products and sit in offices all day (and then constantly yo-yo in weight, and get stuck in desperation trying to get out of the cycle) is foolishness.

(And of course then the merely 'overweight' get lumped in with the obese, a blurring which is fantastically appalling.)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 03:40:24 PM »

Yeah well of course you don't care about doing anything useful, you're a libertarian.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies