How would you replace/fix ObamaCare? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:16:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  How would you replace/fix ObamaCare? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How would you replace/fix ObamaCare?  (Read 7454 times)
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« on: March 24, 2015, 06:32:32 PM »

-  40 hours, not 30 hours, should be considered full-time
-  allow a small number of health insurance companies that provide most but not all 'Obamacare-mandated' benefits to still exist for people that legitimately don't need full coverage (ex. people that don't need maternity-related services shouldn't be required to pay for them anyways as the law currently forces them to do so)
- keep the exchanges open year-round, just having these two month periods each year and then closing it off for 10 months just doesn't make any sense at all.
- repeal the medical device tax
- forbid business owners from laying off or firing people solely because of Obamacare-related costs
- require all hospitals and  all doctors to accept insurance policies purchased on the website, no exceptions.
- discriminate against fat people ( 1) in Deus's post above)
- cover birth control like any other prescription, don't insist that it's completely free.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 08:31:34 PM »

Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 08:45:38 PM »

Democrats ITT are very clearly not saying it's perfect because they want single payer garbage. Any clear independent mind knows this is a series of great ideas; better than single payer and better than our insurance system prior. The more I examine it the more I am convinced. I can't think of one bad thing about the Affordable Care Act.

can't think of one bad thing? Okay.

What's so good about the medical device tax?
What's so good about only having the exchange open for x amount of time and then closing it down for a while, rather than keeping it open year-round? (aside from maintenance downtime and the like, of course)
What's so good about forcing people who don't need maternity-related services to have them in their health plan anyways?
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 10:24:02 PM »
« Edited: March 24, 2015, 10:25:34 PM by Wulfric »

I fully admit I'm not the most knowledgeable about the law, and because of that I don't debate it much.  However, my dad (who is the CFO of a small, private hospital) is not a fan.  He thinks it is a sort of "moderate hero" (as Atlas would say!) option that 1) doesn't go far enough to address the real problem of so many uninsured people and at the same time is 2) a shade more "liberal" than he thinks would be the best solution.  I've never had an in-depth conversation with him about it.

From my limited understanding, it seems like a clever trick to start down the road to single-payer: the penalty businesses pay for not offering their employees health insurance is often less expensive than the actual cost of offering it ... naturally, business will start to stop offering it one after another, and this will naturally create a pretty big demand for full-blown government-run healthcare.  I think what a lot of Republicans don't like is that such a thing would obviously be "funded" by increased taxes on families.

Do you support a single payer system? (My own position is one of caution, I admittedly don't think it's a bad idea but I'm not sure if it's worth the massive increase to the deficit that it will inevitably cause.)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies