How would you replace/fix ObamaCare? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:24:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  How would you replace/fix ObamaCare? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How would you replace/fix ObamaCare?  (Read 7428 times)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« on: March 24, 2015, 09:44:40 PM »

I fully admit I'm not the most knowledgeable about the law, and because of that I don't debate it much.  However, my dad (who is the CFO of a small, private hospital) is not a fan.  He thinks it is a sort of "moderate hero" (as Atlas would say!) option that 1) doesn't go far enough to address the real problem of so many uninsured people and at the same time is 2) a shade more "liberal" than he thinks would be the best solution.  I've never had an in-depth conversation with him about it.

From my limited understanding, it seems like a clever trick to start down the road to single-payer: the penalty businesses pay for not offering their employees health insurance is often less expensive than the actual cost of offering it ... naturally, business will start to stop offering it one after another, and this will naturally create a pretty big demand for full-blown government-run healthcare.  I think what a lot of Republicans don't like is that such a thing would obviously be "funded" by increased taxes on families.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 10:30:40 PM »
« Edited: March 24, 2015, 11:16:55 PM by RINO Tom »

I fully admit I'm not the most knowledgeable about the law, and because of that I don't debate it much.  However, my dad (who is the CFO of a small, private hospital) is not a fan.  He thinks it is a sort of "moderate hero" (as Atlas would say!) option that 1) doesn't go far enough to address the real problem of so many uninsured people and at the same time is 2) a shade more "liberal" than he thinks would be the best solution.  I've never had an in-depth conversation with him about it.

From my limited understanding, it seems like a clever trick to start down the road to single-payer: the penalty businesses pay for not offering their employees health insurance is often less expensive than the actual cost of offering it ... naturally, business will start to stop offering it one after another, and this will naturally create a pretty big demand for full-blown government-run healthcare.  I think what a lot of Republicans don't like is that such a thing would obviously be "funded" by increased taxes on families.

Do you support a single payer system? (My own position is one of caution, I admittedly don't think it's a bad idea but I'm not sure if it's worth the massive increase to the deficit that it will inevitably cause.)

No, I do not.  But I'd almost rather just get on with getting one than a half-ass Obamacare. Smiley  And yeah, I'll admit it: my family would be taxed out the a*s to pay for a system and would have worse healthcare, and I'll absolutely form a self-preserving opinion based on that (like most other people).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies