What does Ted Cruz really want? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:40:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  What does Ted Cruz really want? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What does Ted Cruz really want?  (Read 1174 times)
hopper
United States

« on: March 25, 2015, 01:09:40 PM »

I do find Cruz's placing so many chips on the Christian Right's square to be an odd tactical move.

He really has no bona fides to win them over. Sure, he's a Southern Baptist, but so is Bill Clinton. He's a Princeton-and-Harvard Man who, as far as I can tell, has never really worn religion on his sleeve during his time in public office. I recall there being an interview he did before running where he said abortion is "not an animating issue for [him]." Then, of course there is the fact that one of his major benefactors is Peter Thiel, a hedonistic anarcho-capitalist and Very Rich Gay who lives in San Francisco.

Maybe he realized that he's set fire to too many things to be anywhere near Establishment (and that's a crowded boat to be in anyway), but you can't be a Tea Party Outsider when you worked in the Bush Administration and your wife works for Goldman Sachs. Maybe cobbling together a Frankenstein out of the various Pat Robertson, Gary Bauer and Mike Huckabee coalitions was the most attractive remaining option.
Well Cruz was "The Tea Party Guy" in the 2012 Republican Primary for US Senate in Texas against David Dewhurst. I'm sure you know that though since you live in Texas!

Funny statement about cobbling coalitions together though!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies