Cities in the South where Obama won the white vote
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:16:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Cities in the South where Obama won the white vote
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cities in the South where Obama won the white vote  (Read 2079 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 24, 2015, 07:18:53 PM »

My attempt at a full list:

Florida: Ignoring the areas that obviously aren't the South, there are two pretty clear candidates: Tallahassee and Gainesville. Probably nowhere else that would qualify as Southern by any logical standard.
Georgia: Atlanta and Athens. And I'll just say DeKalb County rather than just list off all the municipalities in it where this applied. Probably nowhere else.
Alabama: Outside chance at Birmingham. Nowhere else.
Mississippi: None.
Louisiana: Obama definitely won the white vote in New Orleans, but outside of there, even Baton Rouge, I'd be skeptical of anywhere.
Texas: Austin isn't Southern. Denton is an obvious pick in an area commonly considered Southern, and only one I can think of.
Arkansas: Likely Little Rock. Don't know of anywhere else, Fayetteville was probably his second best in the state.
Tennessee: Nashville is probably it.
South Carolina: Charleston looks like a possibility, and probably the only place even worth checking.
North Carolina: Ah this one is tricky. Obvious: Chapel Hill, Durham, Hillsborough, and Asheville. Possibility: Raleigh. Charlotte and Greensboro look like almost certain nos and nowhere else in the state is worth considering.
Virginia: So then here's the debate over what qualifies as Southern or not. But excluding obviously not areas you are left with Charlottesville, Richmond and...I though the Hampton Roads would be worth looking at, but only Williamsburg looks likely.

So anyone think of any I missed?
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 11:07:20 PM »

Carrboro, NC - basically an extension of Chapel Hill
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 12:40:05 AM »

What about Tampa?
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 01:16:32 AM »

What about Oxford in Mississippi?
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 09:05:31 AM »

I don't think Hillsborough is a city. But, if we do accept that, here are some other towns in that range in NC that voted for Obama:

-Black Mountain
-Boone
-Brevard
-Davidson
-Probably Swannanoa--the bits that are in an Obama precinct seem more populous.
-Tryon
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 05:02:42 PM »

No way did Obama win Nashville.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 05:11:47 PM »

Little Rock?  I'm a little surprised by that one.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 05:32:31 PM »

Virginia: So then here's the debate over what qualifies as Southern or not. But excluding obviously not areas you are left with Charlottesville, Richmond and...I though the Hampton Roads would be worth looking at, but only Williamsburg looks likely.

I think Norfolk probably squeaks by.

Savannah, GA might be a possibility?  Not sure.  And probably several tiny college towns here and there.
Reginald
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 06:15:35 PM »

Austin isn't Southern? What is it then? I can't really think of a situation where Austin isn't considered Southern while Dallas is.

Maybe Galveston counts here? I'm looking at 2008, and it could be pretty close. Otherwise, the only TX city I can maybe see qualifying would be Marfa, and that's clearly not Southern.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 06:58:43 PM »

I think Norfolk probably squeaks by.

Savannah, GA might be a possibility?  Not sure.  And probably several tiny college towns here and there.

Romney got 28% in a 44% non-Hispanic white Norfolk. Doubtful.

Romney had to have received at least 25% in Savannah, and the white VAP is around 40%.

Austin I'd put in the same western region as San Antonio.
Kushahontas
floating_to_sea
Kenya

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2015, 12:34:03 PM »

Austin isn't Southern? What is it then? I can't really think of a situation where Austin isn't considered Southern while Dallas is.

Maybe Galveston counts here? I'm looking at 2008, and it could be pretty close. Otherwise, the only TX city I can maybe see qualifying would be Marfa, and that's clearly not Southern.

That part of I-35 down to San Antonio as well as the area all the way south to the valley and everything west of that is more Southwestern than Southern. Much more Tucscon than Tampa.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2015, 11:44:49 PM »

God no. Oxford is full of Confederate-flag waving racists who went to segregationist academies and refuse to stop chanting "The South Will Rise Again" when the football team and Ole Miss (which is what slaves called the master's wife. Seriously) administration begged them not to. And let's not forget the on-campus riots there when Obama was reelected, the Klan rallies, etc.

Starkville and Hattiesburg would be a lot more likely than Oxford, but still no. From the results here, it looks like Obama narrowly won the city of Starkville, which is 64% white, so that leads to him probably getting around 1/3 of the white vote there, which is is much higher than the ~11% of the white vote he won statewide. It's worth noting that Mississippi State isn't actually within the city limits of Starkville, and most students on campus apparently aren't registered to vote there (less than 1,000 votes combined in the 2 precincts that cover campus and the area around it), so it would probably be higher if all students' votes were included in Starkville's total. Definitely not enough to drag it over 50% of the white vote though.

If you want to find a Mississippi city where Obama won the white vote, check some results in Benton or Marshall counties -- you might find one there.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2015, 01:46:44 PM »

Thanks to this thread, we have more precise estimates for VA's independent cities. Leaving out the obviously non-Southern ones, you have:

Petersburg   city   77%
Charlottesville   city   72%
Richmond   city   60%
Roanoke   city   58%
Williamsburg   city   57%
Norfolk   city   53%
Fredericksburg   city   51%
Covington   city   51%
Harrisonburg   city   51%
Lexington   city   51%
Albemarle   county   49%

Blacksburg (incorporated in Montgomery County) is a possibility since MontCo was 45%.

Not sure what makes Petersburg's whites so Democratic.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2015, 05:22:01 PM »

Virginia's independant cities are good candidates because they are just a small core of a town. Obama probably won whites inside the Parkways, which would be our equivalent here in Memphis.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies