Republican Pick-Up in Pennsylvania State House
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:40:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Republican Pick-Up in Pennsylvania State House
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Republican Pick-Up in Pennsylvania State House  (Read 7296 times)
rbt48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 25, 2015, 04:17:07 PM »

A 26-year old Republican, Martina White, won a previously Democratic State House seat in northeast Philadelphia yesterday.
http://www.politicspa.com/breaking-hd-170-white-wins-special-election/64709/

By my count, the PA State House line-up is now 120R, 83D.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 05:17:53 PM »

I thought the city of Philadelphia was monolithically Democratic.........is Northeast Philly similar to Staten Island (suburbanish)?
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 05:35:03 PM »

I thought the city of Philadelphia was monolithically Democratic.........is Northeast Philly similar to Staten Island (suburbanish)?

To a lesser extent yes. The eastern areas of Philadelphia probably lean Obama but they're much whiter and probably have more in common with Bucks or Montgomery County than the city itself. This is just another example of how Democrats have been sucking at winning elections in state legislatures across the country. If they couldn't win a seat like this than the situation is terrible. 
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 05:39:13 PM »

Debbie Wasserman Schultz's tenure at the DNC has been an unmitigated disaster as far as winning state house and state senate seats goes. Bring back Howard Dean!
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 06:10:38 PM »

From what I hear, there were a lot of protest votes for the Republican as the Philly Dem machine was very transparent in choosing the Dem candidate.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 07:17:42 PM »

Debbie Wasserman Schultz's tenure at the DNC has been an unmitigated disaster as far as winning state house and state senate seats goes. Bring back Howard Dean!

Basically, this.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 08:25:17 PM »

Basically, this.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 08:31:20 PM »

Basically, this.

Lol how everyone forgets about Tim Kaine.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 08:56:32 PM »

Tim Kaine might not have been great, but I don't think anyone could have averted the shellacking in 2010 after the ACA was passed. And if you remember, we managed to save Senate seats in Nevada and Colorado, as well as many governorships in blue states. The further degradation in position since then is totally unacceptable. Someone has to pay for the utter disaster in 2014, and it should be DWS.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 09:03:43 PM »

Tim Kaine might not have been great, but I don't think anyone could have averted the shellacking in 2010 after the ACA was passed. And if you remember, we managed to save Senate seats in Nevada and Colorado, as well as many governorships in blue states. The further degradation in position since then is totally unacceptable. Someone has to pay for the utter disaster in 2014, and it should be DWS.

Kaine lost like 400 state legislative seats. DWS only lost like 100. We only managed to save Senate seats because the GOP nominated crazy tea party candidates. That was all luck, no credit to Kaine. DWS on the other hand presided over a successful presidential campaign cycle. In 2014, we were running with Obama with a 41% approval rating, plus the six year itch, plus the very high base in the Senate with the class of 2008 up for re-election.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 09:06:09 PM »

In any case, Howard Dean said stuff like "we gotta win guys with Confederate flags on their pickup trucks", but the true leftists today castigate them as gap-toothed racist hicks. There's a lot of selective nostalgia going on for the Dean era. He elected blue dogs, not Bernie Sanderses.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2015, 02:34:15 PM »

Basically, this.

Lol how everyone forgets about Tim Kaine.

Tim Kaine was an unmitigated disaster as DNC head, correct! Probably worse than DWS. But alas, DWS seems to be an easier target her because she's not as mushy and doesn't have The People's Eyebrow (TM)
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2015, 07:59:39 PM »

In any case, Howard Dean said stuff like "we gotta win guys with Confederate flags on their pickup trucks", but the true leftists today castigate them as gap-toothed racist hicks. There's a lot of selective nostalgia going on for the Dean era. He elected blue dogs, not Bernie Sanderses.

Meh, I'm lefty, but I'm also a pragmatist. If we want to win and have some semblance of progressive policies pass, we need progressives in safe Dem seats, and Blue Dogs to win GOP seats.

Now the question I'm really concerned about is what lefty policies can the Blue Dogs present as populist and desirable to the moderate/light GOP voter?
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2015, 08:40:33 PM »

I'lll take Dean electing Blue Dogs over DWS electing nobody.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2015, 08:50:58 PM »

Congrats Phil (how am I the first person to post this?)
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2015, 12:31:49 AM »

Me too. I would even go further and readily accept Blue Dog majority in House in place of present Republican majority... Especially - taking into account that "progressive majority" is out of question for many years to come, and i am not that young to wait 30 years.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2015, 04:50:53 AM »

Congrats Phil (how am I the first person to post this?)

Because that's not how the joke works.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2015, 01:32:55 PM »

You mean it isn't our 26 year old NE Philly Republican? Sad
bobloblaw
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2015, 04:05:04 PM »

Another Obama success story.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2015, 12:52:35 AM »

Don't rejoice too early - she ran as pro-labor moderate. The type of republican you probably hate more then left-wing Democrats.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2015, 11:15:02 PM »

Me too. I would even go further and readily accept Blue Dog majority in House in place of present Republican majority... Especially - taking into account that "progressive majority" is out of question for many years to come, and i am not that young to wait 30 years.

After all your protestations that you were a "moderate" who like "moderates [of both parties]" wouldn't the consistent application of your own words be that in thirty years you would trying to rally Republicans to support "blue dog Democrats" to keep "progressives" out of power?
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2015, 12:48:29 AM »

After all your protestations that you were a "moderate" who like "moderates [of both parties]" wouldn't the consistent application of your own words be that in thirty years you would trying to rally Republicans to support "blue dog Democrats" to keep "progressives" out of power?

Of course.
bobloblaw
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2015, 05:19:24 PM »

Don't rejoice too early - she ran as pro-labor moderate. The type of republican you probably hate more then left-wing Democrats.

Those type of GOPers are fine so long as they dont hold the balance of power.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2015, 10:58:27 PM »

Those type of GOPers are fine so long as they dont hold the balance of power.

A small piece of sanity...
DS0816
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2015, 05:04:56 PM »

The Republicans got rid of then-RNC chair Michael Steele after the party's success in 2010, which including having flipped six Democratic-held U.S. Senate seats and having won a majority-control pickup of the U.S. House of Representatives.

That alone tells me that it doesn't matter who the chairman is with a major political party.

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies