Female VP Choices for Hillary?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 03:30:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Female VP Choices for Hillary?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Female VP Choices for Hillary?  (Read 3534 times)
Progressive
jro660

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 25, 2015, 06:49:52 PM »

Who would make a good female VP for Hillary?
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 06:51:32 PM »

Warren, Hassan, McCaskill, or Klobuchar.

Gillibrand is unconstitutional (The President and VP have to be from different states).
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 06:55:12 PM »

Gillibrand is unconstitutional (The President and VP have to be from different states).

Not Baldwin?
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 06:57:07 PM »
« Edited: March 25, 2015, 07:06:27 PM by Ebsy »

No they don't. New York would be the only state that could not cast electoral votes for Gilibrand, as per article 12, states must choose a President and Vice President, "one of whom, at least, shall not be an inhabitant of the same state with themselves;"
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 07:06:59 PM »
« Edited: March 25, 2015, 07:08:34 PM by Wulfric »

Not Baldwin?

Baldwin would also work.

No they don't. New York just can't cast more than half of it's electoral votes for candidates from it's own state.

I stand corrected. But still, that requirement would presumably be attained by each of New York's Electors voting for some other democrat for Vice President. It's certainly possible that this 29 electoral vote loss could push the democratic VP nominee under 270 EVs (BTW, electors cast separate votes for president and VP), throwing the decision into the senate, and if it is still republican-controlled, we could easily end up with a Clinton/Rubio or Clinton/Martinez administration.

hurricanehink
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 07:11:51 PM »

Not Baldwin?

Baldwin would also work.

No they don't. New York just can't cast more than half of it's electoral votes for candidates from it's own state.

I stand corrected. But still, that requirement would presumably be attained by each of New York's Electors voting for some other democrat for Vice President. It's certainly possible that this 29 electoral vote loss could push the democratic VP nominee under 270 EVs (BTW, electors cast separate votes for president and VP), throwing the decision into the senate, and if it is still republican-controlled, we could easily end up with a Clinton/Rubio or Clinton/Martinez administration.

Just do what Bush/Cheney did in 00. Cheney changed his registration to Wyoming. Hillary could change it to Arkansas.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 07:14:00 PM »
« Edited: March 25, 2015, 09:14:30 PM by Ebsy »

Yes, I totally agree. I don't think Clinton will choose Gilibrand.

Also, there is no chance in hell of McCaskill becoming VP. Democrats need her in the Senate and are we so quick to forget McCaskill and Clinton's very public feud during the 2008 primary when McCaskill(along with Granholm and Napolitano) endorsed Obama over Clinton, which really was the point in which the nomination fight started moving decisively against Clinton. Sure, Claire might have endorsed Clinton and they've largely made up, but it would be quite a stretch for Hillary to put her ont he ticket as VP.
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 09:27:44 PM »

I think if Hillary would choose another woman, she'd choose Kirsten Gillibrand: she's young, she's liberal, she's a fresh face. Like hurricanehink said, Cheney lived in Texas, but he changed his residence to Wyoming in 2000. Hillary could just as easily change hers to Arkansas.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 09:34:59 PM »

I think if Hillary would choose another woman, she'd choose Kirsten Gillibrand: she's young, she's liberal, she's a fresh face. Like hurricanehink said, Cheney lived in Texas, but he changed his residence to Wyoming in 2000. Hillary could just as easily change hers to Arkansas.
I think that would leave a bad taste in everyone's mouth, especially after she basically ran a campaign for a US Senate seat in New York out of the White House way back in 1999-2000. My father is still angry about that. The optics of switching back to Arkansas will be extremely negative.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 10:28:51 PM »

Hilda Solis would make an excellent choice, I would think, as a Latina and former Labor Secretary:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilda_Solis
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2015, 02:11:58 AM »

I highly doubt she would select Claire, seeing as how Claire said she didn't want to be stuck on an elevator with Hillary.

I like Jennifer Granholm, but she has the Ted Cruz Canadian conundrum.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2015, 07:39:32 AM »

There doesn't seem to be a great match.

McCaskill may have bad blood. The party prefers Hassan run for Senate. Gilibrand has unique legal issues as a fellow New Yorker (Hillary might be able to change her state affiliation, although that's going to come with legal challenges and media scrutiny.)

Klobuchar's a generic Senator, and not really from a swing state (if Minnesota is competitive, the GE is lost.)

Warren lacks demographic appeal (New England is not a politically useful region), doesn't want to be in national office, and wasn't that effective a campaigner, although her reputation as a policy leader is likely to mean the top story that two women are on the ticket.

I highly doubt she would select Claire, seeing as how Claire said she didn't want to be stuck on an elevator with Hillary.

I like Jennifer Granholm, but she has the Ted Cruz Canadian conundrum.
Granholm was born in Canada to Canadian parents, so I don't believe that she's a natural-born citizen.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2015, 09:38:11 AM »

There's been talk of Klobuchar for one of the upcoming Supreme Court vacancies.
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix
E: -6.90, S: -6.17

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2015, 09:54:15 AM »

For Gillibrand, Clinton would change her primary residence to DC not Arkansas (where they don't have a residence). It would avoid constitutional problems but would cause a media distraction.  It'd be surprising to see her pick any woman (or McAuliffe) unless polls show her dominant and even then, with the pick coming earlier than usual, it'd still be surprising. But obviously she'll refuse to rule it out and a woman or two will "leak" as being on the short-list, like Klobuchar or Murray.

One of the most overlooked mistakes of Obama has been taking so many Democrats out of the senate. I doubt Hillary didn't note it.  Klobuchar, who is popular, would be especially risky to remove.

Why? She would be replaced by a Democrat and the 2018 election (when Klobuchar would be up) would no doubt lean heavily toward the Democrat. Keep in mind, this is Minnesota.

Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2015, 09:58:19 AM »

I think putting Klobuchar in RBG's seat would be an acceptable loss for Democrats in the Senate.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2015, 10:04:01 AM »

Do I sense a "Hot or Not: Democratic VP field edition" starting up? Cheesy

Anyway, Klobuchar is probably the best if she wants to avoid Gillibrand. Hassan or Cantwell could be options but Klobuchar is miles ahead.
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2015, 10:27:39 AM »

Given the choices discussed here I think it's likely that she wouldn't.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2015, 12:13:09 PM »

For Gillibrand, Clinton would change her primary residence to DC not Arkansas (where they don't have a residence). It would avoid constitutional problems but would cause a media distraction.  It'd be surprising to see her pick any woman (or McAuliffe) unless polls show her dominant and even then, with the pick coming earlier than usual, it'd still be surprising. But obviously she'll refuse to rule it out and a woman or two will "leak" as being on the short-list, like Klobuchar or Murray.

One of the most overlooked mistakes of Obama has been taking so many Democrats out of the senate. I doubt Hillary didn't note it.  Klobuchar, who is popular, would be especially risky to remove.

Why? She would be replaced by a Democrat and the 2018 election (when Klobuchar would be up) would no doubt lean heavily toward the Democrat. Keep in mind, this is Minnesota.

Yeah, but MN democrats are kind of terrible at picking people who will be strong in their first race. The last time they ran a non-incumbent for senate/governor, ('08/'10), the republicans came VERY close to victory.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2015, 04:31:44 PM »

If Gillibrand really was a problem, Hillary could "move back" to Arkansas.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2015, 05:45:14 PM »

I don't think she'll pick a woman.  While it's possible to elect a ticket with two women (and I'd love a Clinton/Warren administration) I don't think Hillary would take that risk.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2015, 07:01:42 PM »

If Gillibrand really was a problem, Hillary could "move back" to Arkansas.

Any benefits gained from selecting Gillibrand wouldn't be worth the negative optics of switching her residence to Arkansas or DC.
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix
E: -6.90, S: -6.17

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2015, 08:34:54 PM »

Why? She would be replaced by a Democrat and the 2018 election (when Klobuchar would be up) would no doubt lean heavily toward the Democrat. Keep in mind, this is Minnesota.

Yeah, but MN democrats are kind of terrible at picking people who will be strong in their first race. The last time they ran a non-incumbent for senate/governor, ('08/'10), the republicans came VERY close to victory.

I see your point, but 2010 was obviously a major wave year with a poor non-incumbent candidate, and I don't see any more Al Franken's popping up in the near future. If I had to pick, I would hope Tim Walz would throw his hat in the ring, as he'd make an excellent candidate and Senator. The Republican bench and the party as a whole here is laughable.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2015, 11:03:39 PM »

I think Klobuchar would be a good pick. Popular, younger than Hillary, but not terribly inexperienced, and it wouldn't give Republicans as big of an opening in 2018 as picking someone like McCaskill or Baldwin would.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2015, 04:33:20 PM »

tulsi gabbard.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies