The Office of Harry S Truman
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:30:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Office of Harry S Truman
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: The Office of Harry S Truman  (Read 13093 times)
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2015, 10:17:57 PM »

Thank-you, Governor!
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2015, 10:37:54 PM »

The mideast assembly will miss you. Sad Endorsed, though.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2015, 01:00:58 PM »

The mideast assembly will miss you. Sad Endorsed, though.

Many thanks, Representative, for your kind words and your endorsement!
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2015, 01:50:37 PM »

Glorious news!
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2015, 02:58:03 PM »

TRUMAN FOR SENATE

PLATFORM

Part I: Game Reform

✔ Three-Region Map     It is by now abundantly clear that the five-Region system is no longer sustainable. Interest in Regional politics (and Atlasia in general) is simply not great enough to keep five Regional governments up and running. Citizens looking for proof of this need only look to the Pacific, where a fully-staffed legislature is the thing of myths, or to the Midwest, where exactly the number of available offices was double the number of candidates in the last regional election, or to the South, whose legislature hasn't met since the last election despite the best efforts of its newest member. If we want to preserve our federal system, reducing the number of Regions is an absolute necessity.

If elected to the Senate this weekend, I will therefore use my office to push for the adoption of a three-Region map, either through a Constitutional Convention or the belated adoption of the Fix the Regions Amendment. By reducing the number of Regions from five to three, we ensure a larger pool of voters and candidates for Regional elections, encouraging competition and thus increased interest in Regional affairs.

✔ New Constitution      As Griffin explained masterfully in this thread a few weeks ago, a Constitutional Convention is the best and most realistic plan to enact the large-scale reforms necessary to breathe new life into Atlasia. This is because, unlike the ordinary amendment process used to make small changes to the Constitution, a Constitutional Convention can address the multitude of weaknesses plaguing our Republic in one fell swoop. As one of the earliest supporters of Classic Conservative's petition, I will work with my colleagues in the Senate to advocate for this measure and to establish a fair, transparent structure for the Convention if and when it gains the necessary signatures to move forward.

In my last campaign for Mideast Assembly, I laid out a detailed plan for our new national government. This plan, if adopted, would abolish the vice presidency, shrink the Senate from 10 to seven members, establish a three-Region map, and grant increased powers to the Regions. I also support Senator Kalwejt's plan to consolidate the cabinet by combining the Census Bureau with the DoFE and the DoIA with the Justice Department. This has the overall effect of dramatically reducing the number of available offices, which would likely lead to more competitive elections and thus a more enjoyable game.

✔ Legislative Reboot      Of course, Constitutional changes will be meaningless if there is nothing for our lawmakers to do: I therefore support a full legislative reboot, which would repeal all legislation passed by the Senate since its establishment in 2004. Doing so would create a wide array of issues for politicians on both sides of the aisle to tackle, a vast improvement over the dull status quo.

✔ Cris-Rpryor Amendment      One of the biggest roadblocks to calling a Constitutional Convention has been the extremely high number of signatures necessary to set the gears into motion. Though the work to rally popular support for the petition continues, the Senate is currently debating a Constitutional Amendment that would allow the national legislature to organize a Convention independently. I strongly support his proposal, which would allow us to move forward with the reform process much sooner than we otherwise would, and will enthusiastically vote for it if it is still on the floor when I enter the Senate.

Cheesy
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2015, 03:22:45 PM »

Endorsed!
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2015, 03:45:35 PM »

Much appreciated, Mr. GM!
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2015, 06:47:17 PM »

Sacramento, CA

PLATFORM

Part II: Domestic Policy

✔ Prison Reform     The Senate is currently considering legislation that would return all privately-run prisons to federal control by January 1, 2016. Studies show that these prisons are often poorly managed and hardly cost-effective: a 2011 report by the ACLU, for example, noted that "most objective cost studies show little or no cost savings to taxpayers coupled with an increased safety risk [compared to publicly-owned prisons]." I therefore support this bill.

✔ Security     Nyman's responsibility to "ensure domestic tranquility" within our Republic is enshrined in the first sentence of our Constitution, and at a time where terrorism and rebellion have become the norm this duty has never been more important. The last ten months have seen Atlasia weather separatist movements, attempted coups, terrorist insurgencies, and countless tragedies, doing great damage to our economy and our standing in the eyes of the world. As Senator, I will work with Secretary of State Kalwejt and the Bore Administration to protect the people of Atlasia and our public institutions from forces such as the PMA and Reality Or Nothing.

✔ The Economy     The instability of the last ten months have taken their toll on the Atlasian economy. With unemployment on the rise and the stock market in disarray, it is imperative that the Senate take bold action to restore stability. First, we must reopen the Stock Exchange and allow investors to resume trading. The decision to close the Exchange was the right one during the Communist Crisis, but with the political situation stable once more the time has come to remove this measure. Second, we must repair the damage done to our infrastructure by ten months of rebellion. Third, we must work with our allies to restore stability in the world abroad. Crises in Puerto Santos and other parts of the globe have worsened the fiscal situation here at home. By fostering peace and prosperity beyond our borders, we ensure greater economic opportunity here at home. 

Part III: Foreign Policy

✔ India and Pakistan     Recent events on the Indian-Pakistani border have shattered the tremulous peace between those two nations and posed a grave challenge to the international balance of power. As the world's premier democracy, the Republic of Atlasia has a strong interest in preventing further bloodshed, and I call on the Bore Administration to take swift and steady action to address this threat. 

✔ South America     I am in favor of establishing diplomatic relations with the new South American Federation as soon as practicable. As the two largest nations in the Western Hemisphere, Atlasia and our Southern neighbor have a common interest in the peace and prosperity of our respective countries. Furthermore, creating diplomatic ties between the two countries would add a new and exciting aspect to international affairs, allowing the Secretary of State to do more than talk into a vacuum.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2015, 11:51:57 AM »

I'm most happy that I've casted my vote for you. I hope you'll prevail and we'll work together Smiley
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2015, 05:59:04 PM »

I'm most happy that I've casted my vote for you. I hope you'll prevail and we'll work together Smiley

Thanks, Kalwejt! It's good to have the confidence of such a distinguished Atlasian.

I'd like to thank everyone who's voted so far, whether you voted for me or Mr. Stmarken. Casting a ballot is the most fundamental responsibility of citizenship, and in a tight race such as this your vote could be the one that decides the election. If you have not done so already, I urge you to go to the polls and make yourself heard in this important election.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2015, 05:04:01 PM »

Speaker Truman examines the Cris-Rpryor Amendment

I am pleased to announce that, after weeks of deliberations, Atlasia is one step closer to organizing a convention to rewrite our Federal Constitution. As of this week, the Senate has seen fit to pass the Cris-Rpryor Amendment by a unanimous vote. This Amendment allows the Senate to call a Constitutional Convention by a majority vote, a much-needed reform given the alarming levels of inactivity and apathy that make calling a Constitutional Convention the traditional way - by petition - close to impossible. I therefore urge my constituents, whatever their political persuasion or views on reform, to vote AYE in the ongoing referendum and do their part to Make Atlasia Great Again.

As I and others have explained numerous times over the last month, a Constitutional Convention is the best chance we have to remake Atlasia for the better. By calling a Convention, we allow the citizens of our Republic to restructure our Republic to fit the needs of our time. While the final text of a Constitution will depend on the will of the people, several bold reform initiatives - from Consolidation to a leaner Senate and a more focussed cabinet - have already been proposed and enjoy wide popular support amongst both the people of this Republic and the leaders of the reform movement. Change can and will come to Atlasia, but we need your help to get started.

I applaud my fellow citizen and reformer, Classic Conservative, for starting the petition to call a Constitutional Convention, and commend the Atlasians who have invested their energies in rallying support for this initiative. The fact is, however, that without this Amendment it will be several more weeks before a Convention is called: weeks in which Atlasia will continue to decline while the necessary cure sits just out of reach. Time is of the essence, and I hope that every patriotic Atlasian will go to the polls and voice their support for this vital Amendment.

Long Live the Republic!

Harry S Truman, Speaker of the Assembly
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2015, 07:57:57 PM »

After two breakneck campaigns, Speaker Truman is taking a more laid-back approach to politics

After much consideration, I have decided to accept write-in votes in for the office of At-Large Senator. The election will begin in just a few hours, so there is no time for the usual formalities: I simply urge my fellow citizens to listen to their conscience and vote for the candidate who they can trust to get the job done.

If I may speak plainly, I didn't intend to enter this race after loosing the special election to Mr. Stmarken two weeks ago. There was still much to do at the Regional level to build support for a Constitutional Convention - which I continue to believe is the only hope we have for a new, brighter future for Atlasia - and I was loathe to waste time on what seemed to be another fruitless effort to win election to the Senate. However, at the encouragement of several of my fellow citizens, I have determined to enter the arena once more and join in the fight to bring real, meaningful reform to the halls of Nyman.

This election may well prove to be the single most important contest in the history of Atlasia. That is because, after weeks of lobbying, the prospect of a Constitutional Convention is within a breath of becoming reality. At this critical juncture, we cannot afford to elect a senator who makes only vague allusions of support for Constitutional reform: we need men in the Senate who have a plan in their pocket and the courage to see it through. Men like Kalwejt, Cris, and Yankee have already risen to this challenge; but if we are to succeed in this quest for a new era, WE MUST HAVE FIVE SENATORS IN NYMAN WHO ARE READY TO LEAD THE CHARGE ON DAY 1! My record in the Mideast Assembly, my active participation in the reform movement, and my last two campaigns for At-Large Senate show that I have the skills, vision, and experience to meet that challenge.

Though the hours are rapidly slipping away, I am as happy as ever to answer any questions you might have about any aspect of my record or my views on the issues.

Onward, my fellow Atlasians!

Harry S Truman, Speaker of the Assembly and Write-in Candidate for Senate
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2015, 08:19:19 PM »

Would you try to establish diplomatic relationships with the Republic of China ie: Taiwan?
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2015, 08:41:33 PM »

Endorsed! Best of luck!
pikachu
United States

« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2015, 12:56:38 PM »

Endorsed again! Let's hope it works out this time Smiley
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2015, 05:52:01 PM »

Thanks, Mr. Speaker!

Endorsed again! Let's hope it works out this time Smiley
Much appreciated, governor! As they say, the third time's the charm. Wink

Would you try to establish diplomatic relationships with the Republic of China ie: Taiwan?
Thanks for the question, Mr. Speaker. In my view, the potential advantages of establishing diplomatic ties with Taiwan are relatively few, if not non-existant, while such an act would unnecessarily provoke the PRC. As such, I oppose this action.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2015, 06:32:17 PM »

Endorsed. Anyone who liked The Era of Good Feeling should vote for you because you have the tools and the drive to continue that tradition of excellence.

I hope everyone turns out for you, and I wish you the best of luck. The Party needs to hold this seat.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2015, 06:56:14 PM »

Endorsed. Anyone who liked The Era of Good Feeling should vote for you because you have the tools and the drive to continue that tradition of excellence.

I hope everyone turns out for you, and I wish you the best of luck. The Party needs to hold this seat.
Thanks a million, Duke! Your confidence means a lot.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2015, 02:37:24 PM »

I haven't endorsed you oficially? Sorry.

Endorsed.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2015, 02:46:02 PM »

I haven't endorsed you oficially? Sorry.

Endorsed.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2015, 03:21:38 PM »

Thanks!
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2015, 01:29:57 PM »

I'm very happy of your victory and thrilled that we're going to work together, Harry! Congratulations Smiley
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2015, 01:49:53 PM »

Congrats on the election, Harry!
I'm really happy to have an active person like you in the Senate! It's great news for Atlasia!
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2015, 02:34:08 PM »

Speaker Truman speaks to reporters after the election

Thank-you, thank-you very much!

Nearly two months ago, in the epilogue of an election much like this one, Atlasia as we know it began to crumble. A plague of apathy and stagnation, coupled with the age-old problem of inactivity, held our Republic in its grasp, shuttering governments in the Pacific and the Midwest and leeching the life out of the debates that once fired the passions of a generation. Amidst the growing unrest, a rising chorus of Atlasians claimed that our time on the world stage had come and gone: that this Republic, after eleven years of trials and triumphs, had finally reached its end.

They were wrong. Despite legions of reasons to believe that Atlasia was a thing of the past, the people of this country refused to surrender the fight. It is because of this collective determination, this stubborn insistence in the prospect of a better future, that I stand here today to accept the office of Senator At-Large of Atlasia.

The road before us is not easy, and to celebrate would be immature. It is still conceivable that the consensus we have built may fall apart, that the best efforts of our statesmen will be shot down by bitter reactionaries, that old rivalries will stand in the way of renewal. But I am hopeful: hopeful, because despite the defeatism that has permeated this board over the past weeks, Atlasia has elected five capable senators committed to rebuilding our Republic from the ground up; hopeful, because the giants of our age - Duke, Griffin, Windjammer, Lumine, Cris, Yankee, Kalwejt, and so many more - have joined forces to support the change we so desperately need; hopeful, because newcomers like Leinad have stepped up to the challenge in spite of all the abuse and disbelief heaped upon their efforts.

I would like to express my deep gratitude to everyone who encouraged, supported, and stumped for this campaign: to Duke, Cris, Yankee, Kalwejt, Pikachu, Darthebearnc, and all those who gave a first, second, third, fourth, or even fifth preference to this campaign. Your confidence is appreciated and your aid doubly so: I will do everything in my power over the next four months to prove myself worthy of your trust.

I would turn, now, to the infinitely more important victory of this election cycle: the impending passage of the Cris-Rpryor Amendment, which will allow the Senate to move forward with plans for a Constitutional Convention. As someone who supported this amendment from the beginning, I am delighted to see such widespread support for this measure; should it be adopted as expected, my first act as senator will be to take the appropriate steps to organize a Convention so that we may begin the work of building a better Atlasia.

Long Live the Republic!

Harry S Truman, Senator-elect

I'm very happy of your victory and thrilled that we're going to work together, Harry! Congratulations Smiley

Congrats on the election, Harry!
I'm really happy to have an active person like you in the Senate! It's great news for Atlasia!
Congratulations to you as well! I look forward to working with both of you in the coming months!
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2015, 02:37:06 PM »

Congratulations my friend you'll do great in the senate!!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies