Ohio Senate advances bill that could deter college students from voting.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:57:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Ohio Senate advances bill that could deter college students from voting.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Ohio Senate advances bill that could deter college students from voting.  (Read 3314 times)
retromike22
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 26, 2015, 09:09:59 PM »

Yay for democracy!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/26/ohio-student-voters_n_6946844.html?utm_hp_ref=politics

The amendment to the budget, which was added at the last minute by a Senate committee, would require out-of-state students who register to vote from their campus address to register their cars in Ohio within 30 days and obtain state driver's licenses. Completing both of those steps would cost over $75. If the more than 116,000 out-of-state students who attend Ohio’s public and private colleges and universities fail to do so, their out-of-state licenses would become invalid and they could face misdemeanor charges.

Current law has allowed new Ohioans to claim residency and vote while keeping their out-of-state licenses and registrations because the state hasn't specified a deadline for obtaining documentation. Republicans supporting the measure said that Ohio is among only a handful of states that don't have a deadline for new residents to register cars and obtain driver's licenses in the state. However, tying the requirement to voting appears to be a unique move.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 11:11:28 PM »

This whole thing is just blatantly unconstitutional. It's a modern-day poll tax for Ohio college students who want to vote.

If they register to vote and don't comply with getting a driver's license in that amount of time, then they would be fined. So there's a burdensome cost either way that would make out-of-state college students not want to pay that much just to vote.

Unsurprisingly, it's these same college towns that Ohio Republicans are trying to suppress the vote of that gave Obama large margins (>60%) against Romney in 2012. Even Ohio University (Athens) which is impacted negatively by this bill went for Fitzy last year by a 17 point margin. Not a coincidence that they're going after only us.

Husted played these same games back in 2012 and it didn't work out for him in court or the actual election. Meaning they can pass this amendment, though it will face backlash in more ways than one.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 11:18:22 PM »

Or perhaps they could just register to vote where they have their vehicles registered?  Registering to vote is a declaration you live there.  So long as failure to pay the car. income, and other taxes due because of where they registered doesn't disqualify one from voting, it isn't a poll tax.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 11:48:58 PM »

Yeah, I'm not seeing the big deal here either.  If you live in a place so much you think you should vote there, you should probably, you know, LIVE THERE and do all the things LIVING THERE entails.  Just like all other out of staters living there wanting to vote in local elections have to do.
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 12:05:59 AM »

I think the intention of the law is bad but not the law itself. The intent is obviously for political gain. However, it makes sense you should have a license in your state of residence and all your things should be registered there. Otherwise you should be voting absentee for your home state.

I wouldn't consider a college residence to be a permanent residence and I'd just vote absentee. I am oversees and even though I've been here for years I still consider WA to be my permanent residence and vote absentee.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 12:40:19 AM »

This one is just obscenely unconstitutional. Nonetheless, I hope OSU or Ohio U does what UW-Madison did to Walker and just re-designs their student I.D.'s to make them legal voting I.D.

That was the greatest F U to Walker and WIGOP since they took over.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 12:50:24 AM »
« Edited: March 27, 2015, 12:53:14 AM by Snowguy716 »

Or perhaps they could just register to vote where they have their vehicles registered?  Registering to vote is a declaration you live there.  So long as failure to pay the car. income, and other taxes due because of where they registered doesn't disqualify one from voting, it isn't a poll tax.
You either didn't go to college or didn't have to so this.

College students are young adults breaking away from home.  They are meeting the world in a college community.  Their first community as an adult.  They have every right to have a say in the community in proportion to the population size within the community.

That said they are temporary.  Making them do this in order to vote is a poll tax fair and simple.  Or its disenfranchisement by making them vote in a community they are the process of leaving.

Do I really have to explain this to you?

Another cynical reactionary policy by bitter conservatives...and given legitimacy by reasonable idiots.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 12:56:33 AM »

If they are living there, and spending 9 months sleeping at a place is certainly living there, then they should meet all the requirements a person living there has to.  Just like any other human.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 12:59:17 AM »

Also, uh... what about students who don't have cars?  Or, god forbid, don't have driver's licenses?  Where do they fit into this sh*t sandwich?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2015, 01:05:45 AM »

If they are living there, and spending 9 months sleeping at a place is certainly living there, then they should meet all the requirements a person living there has to.  Just like any other human.
Um.  Actually they don't as that is the very nature of college.

If you want to ruin the political dynamic of college communities and to satiate your warped sense of logical consistency, that's fine.

But you did't get this.  You needn't have an ohio license to have your car there and drive the whole 9 months...unless you want to vote,  then thatll be $75 please.

Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2015, 01:07:48 AM »

Also, uh... what about students who don't have cars?  Or, god forbid, don't have driver's licenses?  Where do they fit into this sh*t sandwich?
In the cloud of 'lets pass this now before we think about it cuz muh librul college students'
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2015, 01:27:01 AM »

Heil Husted.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2015, 01:29:25 AM »

Sounds like this wouldn't apply to them. It's saying if you have a car, it should be registered in OH if you are registered to vote in OH. 

The car-vote registration connection seems pretty arbitrary to me. If you live somewhere the greater part of the year, you are involved in that community. It makes more sense for you to vote there than somewhere you don't spend as much time in and so don't have as much of a clue what's going on. If you have your car registered in another state with your parents or whatever because it's easier, what's the big deal? 
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2015, 01:37:56 AM »

If you live somewhere the greater part of the year, you are involved in that community. It makes more sense for you to vote there than somewhere you don't spend as much time in and so don't have as much of a clue what's going on.

And what about people that, you know, disagree?
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2015, 01:39:23 AM »

This is totally necessary because voter fraud among college students is rampant.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2015, 01:47:35 AM »

If you live somewhere the greater part of the year, you are involved in that community. It makes more sense for you to vote there than somewhere you don't spend as much time in and so don't have as much of a clue what's going on.

And what about people that, you know, disagree?

I guess they have a reason for disagreeing?  I'm not sure what you're asking.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2015, 01:52:22 AM »

You seem confused by the prospect that people might still be more interested in participating in the political process back home rather than at school, and therefore they shouldn't.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2015, 02:13:07 AM »

Sounds like this wouldn't apply to them. It's saying if you have a car, it should be registered in OH if you are registered to vote in OH. 

The car-vote registration connection seems pretty arbitrary to me. If you live somewhere the greater part of the year, you are involved in that community. It makes more sense for you to vote there than somewhere you don't spend as much time in and so don't have as much of a clue what's going on. If you have your car registered in another state with your parents or whatever because it's easier, what's the big deal? 

College students are sojourners who will mostly leave when it's done. They have no vested interest in enacting good policy or in seeing the city succeed. They have no skin in the race. Unless they are willing to take the extra steps of registering their other particulars in the area, their claim to interest in the area is tenuous.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2015, 02:18:34 AM »

Regardless, it is unconstitutional for states to set "unreasonable" residency requirements. If a college student changes their registration to their dorm room or an apartment they are renting, and have been in the state for a month, they have just as much a right to vote in the state as anyone else.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2015, 02:24:23 AM »

Republicans seem to always make voting harder.

Meanwhile, California might follow Oregon's lead of automatic registration.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2015, 06:58:02 AM »

This'll get struck down.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2015, 08:49:52 AM »

Just another plan to funnel more power to elites and disenfranchise the marginalized (in this case, college students with unclear residency) in the name of "rules" and "order".
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2015, 09:00:58 AM »

Seems pretty obvious you should always register and vote in the state you actually live in. And a four year college education is not something temporary - four years is  longer than most jobs last (for younger people at least).
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2015, 09:14:22 AM »

Incidentally, thanks to the Republican-passed REAL ID act, in order to get my D.C. driver's license, I needed
(1) valid Virginia driver's license
(2) original copy of my passport
(3) original social security card
(4) original copy of my lease signed by my landlord (not easy since my landlord lives in Nevada)
(5) original mail sent by the federal or D.C. government only (not including Virginia or Maryland government official mail) and not including my voter registration card and not including anything older than 60 days
(6) a $40 fee

As the result of this it took like 4-5 trips to the DMV to get it done, since they are closed on Mondays and on Saturdays when the following Monday is a holiday. The thing is, if you just move to D.C. and never get a driver's license, no one knows or cares.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2015, 09:53:27 AM »

College students are sojourners who will mostly leave when it's done. They have no vested interest in enacting good policy or in seeing the city succeed. They have no skin in the race. Unless they are willing to take the extra steps of registering their other particulars in the area, their claim to interest in the area is tenuous.

Except, that's not how voting works.  There is no reality show, "So, you think you can vote?" where you need to prove that you deserve the right to vote.  Your state or county has no ability to tell if you "really" love them enough to vote with purpose.  Therefore, it's a complete red herring.

You do not need to intend to live somewhere for the rest of your life to vote there.  That's not a requirement to vote for anyone, although Republicans have decided it is for students.  This is clearly a cynical political move to disenfranchise people because Republicans don't like how they vote.  It is nothing else. 

Let's just think about this logically.  Being a full-time student in Ohio is more than enough to claim domicile in Ohio.  That meets all the requirements, so dragging in vehicle registration or driver's licenses is just putting a special burden on one group for political purposes.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies