Ohio Senate advances bill that could deter college students from voting. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:23:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Ohio Senate advances bill that could deter college students from voting. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ohio Senate advances bill that could deter college students from voting.  (Read 3360 times)
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: March 27, 2015, 01:39:23 AM »

This is totally necessary because voter fraud among college students is rampant.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 02:18:34 AM »

Regardless, it is unconstitutional for states to set "unreasonable" residency requirements. If a college student changes their registration to their dorm room or an apartment they are renting, and have been in the state for a month, they have just as much a right to vote in the state as anyone else.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 09:01:24 PM »

And just as much obligation to pay the taxes expected of any other resident.  I certainly hope none of these non-tax paying "residents" also try to claim in-state tuition rates.
States vary on who they offer in state tuition to, but in my experience there is a residency requirement of a minimum of two years before enrolling. The right to vote and the right to in state tuition are not really comparable though.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 09:03:50 PM »

Of course, people get to vote as a matter of right. My issue is that college students don't face the consequences of their actions. When the time comes to pay the piper, they're long gone. While San Francisco passed Sit-Lie, Berkeley was not so fortunate. The student body at the university had no small part in that happening. Now the long-time residents of the city are stuck with the input of these sojourners.
     Not being a liberal, I don't suppose that the government should enforce my opinions. I do suppose that we should work to encourage college students to not interfere with other people's cities. That would require a level of maturity and sensibility beyond many of them, though.
So by pouring millions if not billions of dollars into the city's economy they are interfering? Sometimes the sh**t people say on this forum is unbelievable.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies