Ohio Senate advances bill that could deter college students from voting. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:57:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Ohio Senate advances bill that could deter college students from voting. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ohio Senate advances bill that could deter college students from voting.  (Read 3356 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: March 26, 2015, 11:48:58 PM »

Yeah, I'm not seeing the big deal here either.  If you live in a place so much you think you should vote there, you should probably, you know, LIVE THERE and do all the things LIVING THERE entails.  Just like all other out of staters living there wanting to vote in local elections have to do.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 12:56:33 AM »

If they are living there, and spending 9 months sleeping at a place is certainly living there, then they should meet all the requirements a person living there has to.  Just like any other human.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 09:59:58 AM »

Incidentally, thanks to the Republican-passed REAL ID act, in order to get my D.C. driver's license, I needed
(1) valid Virginia driver's license
(2) original copy of my passport
(3) original social security card
(4) original copy of my lease signed by my landlord (not easy since my landlord lives in Nevada)
(5) original mail sent by the federal or D.C. government only (not including Virginia or Maryland government official mail) and not including my voter registration card and not including anything older than 60 days
(6) a $40 fee

As the result of this it took like 4-5 trips to the DMV to get it done, since they are closed on Mondays and on Saturdays when the following Monday is a holiday. The thing is, if you just move to D.C. and never get a driver's license, no one knows or cares.
You can't get a DL in DC if you don't have a passport?  That seems odd (and highly unlikely).  I don't understand the lease thing either....every place I've gotten a DL (IL,GA,FL and NE) have asked for a proof of residence, but they usually just expect an electric bill (or whatever).  Number 5 is so confusing I don't even know how to address it.

Mind, I'm no fan of REAL ID, but I don't get the level of outrage over it either.  On the official list of things wrong, it's probably not even in the top 100.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 03:25:49 PM »

Do you actually believe that crap?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies