Ohio Senate advances bill that could deter college students from voting. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:32:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Ohio Senate advances bill that could deter college students from voting. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ohio Senate advances bill that could deter college students from voting.  (Read 3330 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: March 26, 2015, 11:18:22 PM »

Or perhaps they could just register to vote where they have their vehicles registered?  Registering to vote is a declaration you live there.  So long as failure to pay the car. income, and other taxes due because of where they registered doesn't disqualify one from voting, it isn't a poll tax.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 09:41:06 PM »

Or perhaps they could just register to vote where they have their vehicles registered?  Registering to vote is a declaration you live there.  So long as failure to pay the car. income, and other taxes due because of where they registered doesn't disqualify one from voting, it isn't a poll tax.
You either didn't go to college or didn't have to so this.
Not only did I go to college, I participated in a presidential caucus in my home precinct and in a county convention in my home county while at college.  Granted, I went to a college only two and a half hours from home by car, but even if I had been too far to make that level of participation possible, it would have been fairly easy to vote absentee, just as it was easy to register to vote when I was in high school.

Regardless, it is unconstitutional for states to set "unreasonable" residency requirements. If a college student changes their registration to their dorm room or an apartment they are renting, and have been in the state for a month, they have just as much a right to vote in the state as anyone else.
And just as much obligation to pay the taxes expected of any other resident.  I certainly hope none of these non-tax paying "residents" also try to claim in-state tuition rates.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies