NE2: Expand Mass Transit Act
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:58:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  NE2: Expand Mass Transit Act
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NE2: Expand Mass Transit Act  (Read 999 times)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 22, 2015, 02:17:19 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor:Lt Governor Pikachu, you have 36 hours to advocate for this bill
pikachu
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 07:04:00 PM »

First, I see this as only a starting point, and I'd love to see some amendments to help further flesh it out. The Northeast is most likely the most mass transit dependent region in Atlasia, and while our main systems are good, they haven't been updated to 21st century (or even the end of the 20th in some cases). Take a look at New York Area. The subway hasn't seen any major expansion since almost WW2, and since then, population in the area has shifted dramatically from Manhattan to the other boroughs. Along with this, the Hudson River tunnel is in dire need of supplementation to help deal with rising commuters to the city. As we continue to see these population shifts (most notably the rich going back to the city center and the poor starting to move to the inner suburbs), it is necessary for us to build new transit infrastructure to adjust.

I also will note that $5 billion is a more conservative estimate of how much it would cost to just complete current projects under construction. I've put in one funding mechanism for congestion charges, and would like to maybe see a small increase in the gas tax, but I'm not sure if these are palatable to the Assembly.
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 12:36:19 AM »

This is a great starting point for the transportation issue.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 02:49:46 AM »

Definitely a step towards opening talks with the Mideast on rail.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 01:25:16 PM »

I like the idea of a lockbox for infrastructure renewal, it's one of the biggest challenges facing western nations-espeically one as large as ourselves. We need up to date, and effective infrastructure.

I'd like to see this Scheme expanded, as the Lt.Gov said this is a conservative effort. I'd be happy for a $3-4 billion fund to improve, and upgrade infrastructure, with focus on 'greener' forms (I'm not talking full on hippie mode, just more efficient, hydrogen etc).

I'd then like to see a big capital project, taken with as JCL said the Mideast in mind. This is something we can go to the Senate with, or to the Mideast Assembly.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 01:32:36 PM »

Efficient transport is fundamental to life in the Northeast, indeed to the nation in general.

We require modern, up to date infrastructure for transportation, but we must as well not allow the cost to get out of control. 
pikachu
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 02:28:45 PM »

I like the idea of a lockbox for infrastructure renewal, it's one of the biggest challenges facing western nations-espeically one as large as ourselves. We need up to date, and effective infrastructure.

I'd like to see this Scheme expanded, as the Lt.Gov said this is a conservative effort. I'd be happy for a $3-4 billion fund to improve, and upgrade infrastructure, with focus on 'greener' forms (I'm not talking full on hippie mode, just more efficient, hydrogen etc).

I'd then like to see a big capital project, taken with as JCL said the Mideast in mind. This is something we can go to the Senate with, or to the Mideast Assembly.

I do think we can add something for investment in new, more energy efficient fleets of buses and trains. We'll have to some more research on the exact technology, but an upgrade to new fleets will allow to improve future economic ad environmental efficiency while also making mass transit a more appealing option to commuters.

I do have some ideas for high speed rail expansion to the Mideast (Philadelphia-Pittsburgh-Cleveland and Boston-Toronto).
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 02:45:36 PM »

I do too - I know we've had a lot of ideas. I was thinking specifically of adding a commuter rail  from Harrisburg and Altoona to State College, shua mentioned that he was interested in connecting Pittsburgh and Baltimore, and Poirot wanted to re-establish a connection to Montreal.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 03:52:48 PM »

Is there some sort of way we can sort this out? I think maybe we could earmark the funds here, and then create a sort of 'conference bill' with the Mideast Assembly, using the Governors or who ever to basically hammer together an agreement. It's going to be difficult, but I think we can hammer out a good legacy
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 01:02:34 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I don't really support congestion charges - but I would support an increase in fuel taxation to raise additional money. We could, also, have public transport (plus cycling and pedestrian) only zones in the CBDs of major cities.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 04:24:15 PM »

I as well would not support congestion charges.  Most motorists are tax payers.  Why should they be penalized because they have to use these routes? 
pikachu
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 05:00:33 PM »

My reasoning for congestion charges is that the Northeast (for the most part) has excellent commuter rail infrastructure, and we really should be encouraging the more environmentally responsible action of taking mass transit to center cities rather than driving. I foresee congestion charging to really only be in CBDs with existing mass transit options (Midtown/Downtown Manhattan, Center City Philadelphia, downtown Boston)

@clyde, I'm not opposed to raising the gas tax, and if it's popular with assembly than congestion charging, I'm willing to replace the congestion charging or add it to the bill.

@Winfield, The same thing holds true for mass transit riders, and they see regular fare increases. While I have sympathy for motorists, I struggle to see how we can start new projects along with the ones that are already being built without raising some money from them.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2015, 05:35:53 PM »

I'm fully supportive of congestion charges, it's worked very well in London
pikachu
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2015, 12:46:45 PM »

Going from what Clyde said, is anyone else in favor of a higher gas tax? On one hand we could probably fund more things with it but on the other, it's a deeply regressive tax.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2015, 12:48:51 PM »

I'd rather see a congestion church, as it helps to reduce city wide pollution rather than just hitting everyone across the northeast
pikachu
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2015, 12:38:15 PM »

Maybe we can index the gas tax to inflation (if that's not already done in Atlasia)? In the IRL United States, the gas tax is much lower in real terms than it was about 20 years ago, causing the US to have to fund much high subsidies for roads than normal.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2015, 01:48:34 AM »

Going from what Clyde said, is anyone else in favor of a higher gas tax? On one hand we could probably fund more things with it but on the other, it's a deeply regressive tax.

II would be opposed.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2015, 04:09:43 PM »

Per the former Speaker's decision to allocate 36 hours to debate on this bill, I declare the period of debate over.

We will now move to 48 hours for a vote, or until all Representatives have cast a vote - which ever may come first. Appropriate votes are Aye, Nay, or Abstain.
pikachu
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2015, 11:01:09 PM »

Aye
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2015, 06:51:18 AM »

Aye
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2015, 09:29:55 AM »

Aye
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2015, 09:53:25 AM »

Aye
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2015, 07:39:18 PM »

By a vote of 4 Ayes with 1 Representative not voting, the bill is passed and will be be sent to the Governor.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies