Opinion of Aung San Suu Kyi
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:45:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Aung San Suu Kyi
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Myanmar's opposition leader
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: Opinion of Aung San Suu Kyi  (Read 727 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 28, 2015, 05:20:15 PM »
« edited: March 28, 2015, 05:24:12 PM by CrabCake »

I genuinely have no idea what to think about this woman, who may be PM of Myanmar/Burma by thee d of this year. On the one hand, she would be a drastic improvement on the current conservative military junta that has misruled the country for decades and allowed the country's services at atrophy. On the other, she does seem to embody Moderate Heroism, especially when something controversial (e.g. The rise of Buddhist far-right extremists and ethnic struggles) comes up.

I'll reserve judgement.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 05:22:26 PM »

FF in context, which is all that matters.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 05:23:13 PM »

FF.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 05:27:53 PM »
« Edited: March 28, 2015, 05:35:54 PM by Governor Simfan34 »

I genuinely have no idea what to think about this woman, who may be PM of Myanmar/Burma by thee d of this year. On the one hand, she would be a drastic improvement on the current conservative military junta that has misruled the country for decades and allowed the country's services at atrophy. On the other, she does seem to embody Moderate Heroism, especially when something controversial (e.g. The rise of Buddhist far-right extremists and ethnic struggles) comes up.

I'll reserve judgement.

This is neither something she has any power over nor something worth sacrificing her political career over (particularly since they've almost certainly been stoked by the tatmadaw for, amongst other reasons, that exact purpose). If she actually wants to make an impact beyond being a "symbol of democracy" she will have to make compromises and, yes, play politics... she is, after all, a politician.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 05:31:53 PM »

Isn't she hyper popular though? Like I doubt it would really hurt her chances of election if she said 'err cool it guys'. Playing politics involves making compromises, yes, but it also involves cashing in some popularity chips occasionally to do what is right.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 05:36:26 PM »

Isn't she hyper popular though? Like I doubt it would really hurt her chances of election if she said 'err cool it guys'. Playing politics involves making compromises, yes, but it also involves cashing in some popularity chips occasionally to do what is right.

Yes, but it might give the tatmadaw some (extra) excuse to hem her in- "encouraging sedition" or something terrible like that. We must keep in mind she's not quite playing in an open field just yet.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 05:38:44 PM »

At this point does the junta have any choice but to open up? It seems like half opening the door to democracy, and then slamming it shut would be ... Inadvisable.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 05:43:55 PM »

At this point does the junta have any choice but to open up? It seems like half opening the door to democracy, and then slamming it shut would be ... Inadvisable.

They are in total control and have a good relationship with China and Thailand. Despite overwhelming support for the opposition there has never been a major mutiny of ethnic Burman soldiers and the internal control mechanisms in the army are strong. They could probably get away with slamming the door.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2015, 05:44:03 PM »

At all times and in all places I would caution against getting caught up in getting too convinced about the "unstoppable onward march of democracy". As unpleasant as it may seem there are many people who see the transition process in Burma as having ground to a halt in recent months/years.

They got away with it '88 and again in '92.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2015, 10:09:17 PM »

Literally a FF, but I do share CrabCake's concerns.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2015, 10:43:49 PM »

FF in context, which is all that matters.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2017, 05:28:11 PM »

I'll reserve judgement.

tragic accolades
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2017, 03:53:27 PM »

If Aung is an big HP, then in relative terms Myanmar's people are mega HP.
The vast majority of domestic popular opinion in Myanmar stands with the Tatmadaw, and the Rohingya lack basic human rights because so few like them.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2017, 04:28:19 PM »

The vast majority of domestic popular opinion in Myanmar stands with the Tatmadaw, and the Rohingya lack basic human rights because so few like them.

I really hope I'm reading this post wrong and you're not justifying what's going on in Myanmar.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2017, 04:31:34 PM »
« Edited: December 19, 2017, 04:35:31 PM by Southern Deputy Speaker/National Archivist TimTurner »

I really hope I'm reading this post wrong and you're not justifying what's going on in Myanmar.
I am not. Just pointing out that those who blame it all on ASSK are missing the bigger picture.
Is it really unfathomable that a bigoted nation of 50 million people would be supportive of genociding a small minority that they don't even care about in the first place?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies