Racial tolerance map
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:45:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Racial tolerance map
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Racial tolerance map  (Read 2684 times)
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 29, 2015, 08:02:39 AM »

Somewhat interesting:

India/Pakistan difference is striking.

Honesty and legitimacy of expressing intolerant views is of course factors to be considered.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 08:05:07 AM »

Surprised by Japan, if I'm honest.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 08:10:21 AM »

France needs to be nuked.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 09:18:15 AM »

Liberté, égalité, fraternité!
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 09:22:12 AM »

#americanbigots
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 09:25:16 AM »

Mostly that will show social acceptability of racism (or equivalents) rather than measure the thing itself... and we have to be careful about these big global surveys for other reasons... but... hilarious patterns anyway.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 09:34:52 AM »

Mostly that will show social acceptability of racism (or equivalents) rather than measure the thing itself... and we have to be careful about these big global surveys for other reasons... but... hilarious patterns anyway.

I thought so as wel, but at least in Europe you have some Eastern European countries with a fairly high public acceptance of xenophobia being relatively tolerant.

Any idea what explains India/Pakistan?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 09:41:55 AM »

I don't know for sure, but it may reflect a more local understanding of 'race' perhaps? Or the influence of Hinduism? At the very least urban society in Pakistan is very ethnically mixed (Karachi is, what? 50% Indian émigré families with the next largest group being Pashtuns or something like that. Not that Karachi is what you'd call a pin up poster model of ethnic tolerance but whatever), so if the survey was disproportionately urban in its responses it might just be reflecting reality?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2015, 09:51:20 AM »

Still, the social acceptability of racism is in itself is an important phenomenon worth measuring. In some ways, it is actually more significant than racism itself.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2015, 10:09:07 AM »

It's a nice map, but it doesn't necessary show tolerance or the social acceptability of racism only. First of all how are racism defined here? As example a Protestant German who say he wish not to live side by side with a Catholic, are he defined as racist here (and if not are the Sunni who don't want to live side by side with the Shia)? Another aspect is people where the idea of having a neighbour of another religion, race or ethnicity doesn't even cross their mind. Those peeople aren't necessary tolerant, but maybe they live without much interaction with other groups.

It's the problem with this kind of map, people in homogene state will often come across as tolerant, simply because the idea of a neighbour belonging to another group is really not on their mental radar at all.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2015, 10:40:59 AM »

Let me preface my answer with the fact that our modern, Western concepts of race are not very applicable to the Indian subcontinent. I cannot really comment with authority on how average people in India view race, but I'll try and extrapolate something from my limited experience with Westernized Indians and going to India. So take this with a grain of salt:

I cannot speak for Pakistan, but despite the reputation of Indians to be politically liberal in the United States (not sure about the UK, Canada, Australia, NZ, etc.), they're not very tolerant of "other" in their personal lives and relationships, especially first generation immigrants (think homosexuality, abortion, dating, religious converstion, etc.).

My mom got an enormous amount of sh_t when most of her extended family learned she was going off the U.S. and marrying a white guy, and then raising her kids as Americans rather than doing so in a traditional Indian way (not exclusively Hindu, not teaching us Bengali or Hindi, not attending temple regularly, not super strict on academics, etc.). She still does, mostly from other recent Indian immigrants, and some of that does get directed at my brothers and myself for being half-Indian racially but pretty much white culturally (we're coconuts in their eyes: brown on the outside but white on the inside).

And Indian immigrants in America are usually coming from more affluent, educated, cosmopolitan families. Your average street vendor, shoe maker, rice grower, policeman, teacher, etc. in India can't come here. Most people in India are poor (like, 700 million people?) and uneducated, and there's still an enormous amount of religious and cultural strife there (Just look at the news and see crap the BJP's extreme wings are pushing, and how Modi is trying to corral them to not sabotage his economic agenda).

I don't really know what "another race" in India means, but I'm guessing it probably brings images of whites, blacks, and people with east Asian features. I would guess that because of historical issues, your average Indian doesn't really like Westerners (there is a lot of RSS-inspired paranoia about Hindus being converted to Christianity and Islam), and Indians also have very, very negative views of black people the way pretty much everyone does. To my understanding, there is a lot of disdain towards people from the northeastern mountain areas, and IIRC the insult is "Chinkis". This also would tie in with the cultural and religious differences that would occur if someone "other" moved in.

Again, most Indians are rural (72% in 2001), poor, and uneducated, so they're not exactly the most cosmopolitan people on Earth. India's government does not recognize "race" the way we do in the U.S. and Europe, and neither does Indian culture all that much, so this is a really difficult question to ask and answer with our Western concepts of race.
RR1997
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2015, 10:55:01 AM »

Let me preface my answer with the fact that our modern, Western concepts of race are not very applicable to the Indian subcontinent. I cannot really comment with authority on how average people in India view race, but I'll try and extrapolate something from my limited experience with Westernized Indians and going to India. So take this with a grain of salt:

I cannot speak for Pakistan, but despite the reputation of Indians to be politically liberal in the United States (not sure about the UK, Canada, Australia, NZ, etc.), they're not very tolerant of "other" in their personal lives and relationships, especially first generation immigrants (think homosexuality, abortion, dating, religious converstion, etc.).

My mom got an enormous amount of sh_t when most of her extended family learned she was going off the U.S. and marrying a white guy, and then raising her kids as Americans rather than doing so in a traditional Indian way (not exclusively Hindu, not teaching us Bengali or Hindi, not attending temple regularly, not super strict on academics, etc.). She still does, mostly from other recent Indian immigrants, and some of that does get directed at my brothers and myself for being half-Indian racially but pretty much white culturally (we're coconuts in their eyes: brown on the outside but white on the inside).

And Indian immigrants in America are usually coming from more affluent, educated, cosmopolitan families. Your average street vendor, shoe maker, rice grower, policeman, teacher, etc. in India can't come here. Most people in India are poor (like, 700 million people?) and uneducated, and there's still an enormous amount of religious and cultural strife there (Just look at the news and see crap the BJP's extreme wings are pushing, and how Modi is trying to corral them to not sabotage his economic agenda).

I don't really know what "another race" in India means, but I'm guessing it probably brings images of whites, blacks, and people with east Asian features. I would guess that because of historical issues, your average Indian doesn't really like Westerners (there is a lot of RSS-inspired paranoia about Hindus being converted to Christianity and Islam), and Indians also have very, very negative views of black people the way pretty much everyone does. To my understanding, there is a lot of disdain towards people from the northeastern mountain areas, and IIRC the insult is "Chinkis". This also would tie in with the cultural and religious differences that would occur if someone "other" moved in.

Again, most Indians are rural (72% in 2001), poor, and uneducated, so they're not exactly the most cosmopolitan people on Earth. India's government does not recognize "race" the way we do in the U.S. and Europe, and neither does Indian culture all that much, so this is a really difficult question to ask and answer with our Western concepts of race.
^
Clarko95 is correct, but I'm still stunned about Pakistan. Pakistan is more rural and uneducated than India.
RR1997
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2015, 10:56:19 AM »

^^

This too. The European bigotry is disgusting.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2015, 12:27:52 PM »

^
Clarko95 is correct, but I'm still stunned about Pakistan. Pakistan is more rural and uneducated than India.

Yeah, it is Pakistan that is surprising, not India.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2015, 01:42:39 PM »

It's a nice map, but it doesn't necessary show tolerance or the social acceptability of racism only. First of all how are racism defined here? As example a Protestant German who say he wish not to live side by side with a Catholic, are he defined as racist here (and if not are the Sunni who don't want to live side by side with the Shia)? Another aspect is people where the idea of having a neighbour of another religion, race or ethnicity doesn't even cross their mind. Those peeople aren't necessary tolerant, but maybe they live without much interaction with other groups.

It's the problem with this kind of map, people in homogene state will often come across as tolerant, simply because the idea of a neighbour belonging to another group is really not on their mental radar at all.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

so race was explicitly listed.

here's what the religion map looks like:

and you can look at the other maps here.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2015, 04:33:10 PM »

Surprised by Japan, if I'm honest.

Since there are so few there, they may still be seen as a novelty.  Plus the rural areas in Japan are desperate to get anyone to live there these days.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2015, 04:35:35 PM »

What's with South Korea? 
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2015, 04:41:07 PM »

Strong ethnically defined identity. Looks like one would have expected Japan to be.

As Wiki puts it: "Racism in South Korea is widespread and overt in nature, stemming from the commonly-held belief that Koreans are a "pure blood" that have been homogeneous throughout history."
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2015, 05:03:02 PM »

After the intolerant natives were wiped out or conquered, and one dominant religion was established, and languages were limited to 3 or 4 (more or less), the Americas became the most racially tolerant place on earth.

Conflicting. But anyway....

Democrats, shut the hell up and stop your racist belly-aching about racist America. You wouldn't know racism if Mugabe delivered the keynote speech at your graduation.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2015, 06:39:36 PM »

After the intolerant natives were wiped out or conquered, and one dominant religion was established, and languages were limited to 3 or 4 (more or less), the Americas became the most racially tolerant place on earth.

Democrats, shut the hell up and stop your racist belly-aching about racist America. You wouldn't know racism if Mugabe delivered the keynote speech at your graduation.

American racists are just in more denial about their racism than the racists of India or France. They don't care if black people move in, just "thugs" or "hoodlums"
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2015, 07:21:38 PM »

...christ
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2015, 07:42:42 PM »

Sure. Anti-semitism will help your plight. Bigoted Californians and their closet loathing of Israel.

This is too dumb. Closing the thread now.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies