Something creepy (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:31:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Something creepy (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Something creepy  (Read 1399 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: March 29, 2015, 11:42:11 PM »

My main thought is that I ought to get around to an in depth study of Revelation someday soon. Eschatology has never been a primary interest of mine as ideally a Christian should live their life both as if each day were their last and as if they had a myriad of more left to live. (That's a rule of thumb that applies to most people regardless of their religion.) I've done Isaiah and Daniel and I'm in the middle of the Twelve Minor Prophets right now. (I use the traditional Jewish division of the OT into 24 books because I think it likely that's what the 24 elders of Revelation 4 represent.)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 08:06:22 PM »

It is odd that snowguy's apparently gone all Gnostic on us.  It's even odder he's basing this on the canonical New Testament and on the Gospel of John in particular.  If anything John is the most anti-Gnostic of the gospels as it was written late enough that it addresses some of the proto-Gnostic heresies head on.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 11:26:51 PM »

It is odd that snowguy's apparently gone all Gnostic on us.  It's even odder he's basing this on the canonical New Testament and on the Gospel of John in particular.  If anything John is the most anti-Gnostic of the gospels as it was written late enough that it addresses some of the proto-Gnostic heresies head on.
Well...couldn't you argue that both john and the gnostics are right...but they don't like each other because they understand it differently?  Or perhaps John truly understood it...and made course corrections to the gnostics? 
Not really. Gnostics argued for Jesus being noncorporeal and the inherent evil of physical matter. John testifies that Jesus was present physically and of the inherent good of the cosmos that God created.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies