Mississippi 1 special election candidates
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:03:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Mississippi 1 special election candidates
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mississippi 1 special election candidates  (Read 2634 times)
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 29, 2015, 09:23:26 PM »

Filing Deadline was March 27
Republicans
1.Boyce Adams, President TheBIZ Accounting/Former FAA Administrator Special Assistant

2.Sam Adcock, Vice President/General Manager, Mississippi Operations Airbus Helicopters Inc

3.Nancy Collins, Registered Nurse,  State Senator 2011-

4.Edward Holiday, Dentist, Teabagger

5.Starner Jones, Emergency Physician

6.Trent Kelly, State Army National Guard Colonel, District Attorney 2012-

7.Michael "Chip" Mills, Itawamba County Prosecutor

8.Greg Pirkle, Lawyer

9.Henry Ross, Lawyer, Retired Navy Commander,  Former Mayor of Eupora 1997-2001, 2010 and
2012 Candidate for Nomination Mississippi 1

10.Daniel Sparks, Lawyer

11.Mike Tagert, Former Vice President of Inland Rivers, Ports, and Terminals, Inc., State Transportation Commissioner (1 of 3)

12.Quentin Whitwell, Lawyer and Chief Operating Officer Progressive Medical Management, Former Jackson City Councillor 2011-2014

Democrats
1.Walter Zinn, Jackson Director of Governmental Affairs

http://www.sos.ms.gov/Elections-Voting/Documents/2015%20Candidate%20Qualifying_Public%20by%20Party.pdf
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 09:29:41 PM »

At least Democrats have a candidate Tongue (which is saddening since the party should be contesting every district, nationally and statewide).
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 10:04:29 PM »

At least Democrats have a candidate Tongue (which is saddening since the party should be contesting every district, nationally and statewide).

Sounds like it's between Collins, Kelly and Tagert, with Mills and Whitwell serving as potential dark horses.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 12:31:47 AM »

Sounds like it's between Collins, Kelly and Tagert, with Mills and Whitwell serving as potential dark horses.

A Black (and probably liberal) Democrat from far outside district in a Mississippi district which is only 26% black? No chances at all. Absolutely. In fact, IMHO the best strategy for Democrats in such situation would be to support the least objectionable and most pragmatic Republican (something like what happened in last year Senate race)
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 04:01:09 PM »

A Black (and probably liberal) Democrat from far outside district in a Mississippi district which is only 26% black? No chances at all. Absolutely. In fact, IMHO the best strategy for Democrats in such situation would be to support the least objectionable and most pragmatic Republican (something like what happened in last year Senate race)

I'm not saying he's going to win, b/c he's obviously not going to, but Democrats should run a qualified person in every seat they can.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 12:49:03 AM »

I'm not saying he's going to win, b/c he's obviously not going to, but Democrats should run a qualified person in every seat they can.

Disagree. Especially in cases like this. If Democrats will support relatively reasonable Republican in this district  - he would have a rather good chances both to get into runoff and win  it. If they will flock to lone Democratic candidate in this race - well, ge may get into runoff with rabid tea-partier. And then THAT tea-partier will be next congressman.

I prefer to "play it safe"...
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 12:53:08 AM »

Disagree. Especially in cases like this. If Democrats will support relatively reasonable Republican in this district  - he would have a rather good chances both to get into runoff and win  it. If they will flock to lone Democratic candidate in this race - well, ge may get into runoff with rabid tea-partier. And then THAT tea-partier will be next congressman.

I prefer to "play it safe"...

A teepartier from MS may, actually, be useful for Dems at large. He is not very likely to gain a lot of weight in the House, but he could be used for advertising purposes in NJ.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 01:03:49 AM »

May be. We shall see.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 03:00:58 PM »

I'm squarely in the Tagert column of course.

The OP didn't point it out, but Tagert currently lives in Starkville which is outside the First District.  Doesn't seem to be an issue among the electorate though. 
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 08:39:37 AM »

The OP didn't point it out, but Tagert currently lives in Starkville which is outside the First District.  Doesn't seem to be an issue among the electorate though. 

I know a pair of "solid tea-partiers" among Republican candidates, but who is the most moderate (even relatively)? Whom must i roof for?Huh)))
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 11:08:50 AM »

I know a pair of "solid tea-partiers" among Republican candidates, but who is the most moderate (even relatively)? Whom must i roof for?Huh)))

Tagert is generally considered the most moderate, and has secured the support of the Haley Barbour machine. 
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2015, 02:53:00 PM »

Tagert is generally considered the most moderate, and has secured the support of the Haley Barbour machine. 

Thanks!
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2015, 04:44:28 PM »

One week out for election day and still not a single actual poll.

Consensus on the ground seems to be that Tagert has locked-up the number one spot, and Kelly and Adams will battle-it-out for number 2.  My money is on a Tagert/Kelly runoff. 
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2015, 11:16:23 PM »

One week out for election day and still not a single actual poll.

Consensus on the ground seems to be that Tagert has locked-up the number one spot, and Kelly and Adams will battle-it-out for number 2.  My money is on a Tagert/Kelly runoff. 

You got half of prediction right))))
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies