Which State Will Elect an Atheist Republican First? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 03:18:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Which State Will Elect an Atheist Republican First? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Which State Will Elect an Atheist Republican First?  (Read 4455 times)
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: March 30, 2015, 03:39:19 PM »

We've definitely already had a few.  If you are talking about an "open" atheist, then it is probably a state in New England.  Maybe Maine.  I think Alaska is kookier than most people perceive it to be. 
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 04:01:46 PM »

We've definitely already had a few.  If you are talking about an "open" atheist, then it is probably a state in New England.  Maybe Maine.  I think Alaska is kookier than most people perceive it to be.  
Kooky maybe, but not in a religious way. It's one of the least religious States.

I'm aware, but the least religious state in America is still pretty religious, and the politically active conservatives that elect most of the statewide officials in that state certainly are.  Everyone Alaska has put on a national stage has been a little nutty.  It's got a unique culture to it, for sure.  That's why I don't think Alaska is going to give us our first open atheist.  It's just my opinion. 
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 04:44:24 PM »

Heck had there ever been an atheist Democrat senator?

This is a complete list of openly atheist or agnostic members of Congress and governors ever.

Former Rep. Pete Stark D-CA
Rep. Kyrsten Sinema D-AZ
Gov. Culbert Olson D-CA

A truly pathetically short list, and they're all Democrats.

Atheists are the most hated and distrusted minority in America.  This is not a surprise. 
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 08:27:08 PM »

I'm sure there have been plenty of politicians who are privately atheists. I would not be surprised if most of the Jewish politicians in congress are atheist and only culturally Jewish. See Barney Frank. I also would not be surprised if 10 years from now President Obama says he's an atheist in an interview.

To answer the OPs question, it's definitely NH. They like those wacky Ayn Rand flavored Republicans.

I would be shocked if Bernie Sanders is not an atheist.  
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 09:01:28 PM »

I'm sure there have been plenty of politicians who are privately atheists. I would not be surprised if most of the Jewish politicians in congress are atheist and only culturally Jewish. See Barney Frank. I also would not be surprised if 10 years from now President Obama says he's an atheist in an interview.

To answer the OPs question, it's definitely NH. They like those wacky Ayn Rand flavored Republicans.

I would be shocked if Bernie Sanders is not an atheist.  

I thought he was Jewish, but I might be wrong.

He's Jewish, but that doesn't mean he can't be an atheist. 
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 10:12:25 PM »

Atheists are the most hated and distrusted minority in America.  This is not a surprise.  

This is a ridiculously false statement. Atheists might be the most disliked minority, but there's a huge difference between being disliked and just outright hated. I'd say muslims are probably the most hated.

Not really, because Muslim Americans hate us, too.

http://www.salon.com/2014/07/21/the_numbers_are_in_america_still_distrusts_atheists_and_muslims_partner/

And then there's this famous study which puts us on par with rapists

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/religion/story/2011-12-10/religion-atheism/51777612/1
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies