How much of an issue would a candidate legally buying and using marijuana be?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:17:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  How much of an issue would a candidate legally buying and using marijuana be?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How much of an issue would a candidate legally buying and using marijuana be?  (Read 1367 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 30, 2015, 04:23:38 PM »

Let's assume at some point in the future it's revealed that a politician running for President, who is not from Colorado, Washington, Oregon or Alaska was still visiting one of those states at one point and there's evidence revealed they purchased non-medical marijuana from a legal venue. Would this have a major impact on the campaign?

For a Republican, it would depend. If they were a Paul-type candidate obviously it wouldn't shock anyone or hurt them, but they'd never have a chance at the nomination to begin with. For a standard Republican, I can see it crippling the campaign and ruining their chances at the nomination, though they'd probably still be able to continue their Senate or Governorship.

For a Democratic candidate, no impact at all. Unless they were a hypocrite who had previously taken a hardline against marijuana or legalization in their state. If they had what's basically the default position of most Democratic politicians now (basically not openly supporting legalization but not interfering with states that do), it'd look a tad hypocritical but would be survivable, might even help actually as it'd provide some ressurance they really wouldn't interfere with states on it. But if they never spoke out against it, no impact.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 04:26:40 PM »

Well North of the border, Justin Bieber Trudeau constantly brags about getting stoned, and it hasn't hurt him too much. Yes, I know ... Canada, but I highly doubt many votes would be swing on it.
bobloblaw
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 03:21:48 PM »

Well North of the border, Justin Bieber Trudeau constantly brags about getting stoned, and it hasn't hurt him too much. Yes, I know ... Canada, but I highly doubt many votes would be swing on it.

Actually the Libs and Cons are tied in the polls. The Libs should be winning a majority not on the cusp of losing once again.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 05:19:54 PM »

It didn't hurt Gary Johnson in New Mexico, and he admitted that he did it illegally.

Granted, it was for medical reasons, but nonetheless.
DS0816
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 07:42:54 AM »

It would be a help.

Texas U.S. Senator—and Unserious Presidential Candidate—Ted Cruz should make his move. Soon!
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 09:34:29 AM »

Probably very little these days. A lot of politicans have done weed and didn't take a hit* from it

*in their nomination chances, smartarses
Nichlemn

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 11:23:45 PM »

If it had occurred very recently at the time it was discovered (i.e. it's not a youthful indiscretion), it would be a pretty big negative for any mainstream politician. There's a big difference between thinking something shouldn't be illegal and condoning your elected leaders doing it. There are tons of things that few people think should be illegal (like adultery, excessive alcohol consumption and atheism) that are nonetheless big negatives for almost any politician. I would imagine that a fairly large proportion of the people who think marijuana should be legal would nonetheless frown at a politician getting high, especially if they were running for President. Like if it were revealed that Hillary Clinton had smoked pot this year, it would really really hurt her "competency" image.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies