What would the results have been in 2014 if it was a democratic wave?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:44:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  What would the results have been in 2014 if it was a democratic wave?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What would the results have been in 2014 if it was a democratic wave?  (Read 3210 times)
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 30, 2015, 06:45:32 PM »

My Guess:

Senate: Begich, Hagan, M. Udall survive. LA/GA go to runoffs, but the republicans win both. Republican Senate of 51-49.

Governor: LePage, Baker, Hogan, Scott, Snyder, Walker, Rauner, and Brownback all lose. GA goes to a runoff but the republicans still win. Democratic Gubernatorial Majority of 26-23-1.

For the house, I'll say D+6 for a 228-207 Republican Majority.

Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 06:51:56 PM »

It would have meant a Romney presidency, for a start.
retromike22
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 10:29:21 PM »

2012 was the best chance for a Democratic wave. All Obama had to do was take his debate prep more seriously.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 10:38:52 PM »

2012 was the best chance for a Democratic wave. All Obama had to do was take his debate prep more seriously.

In the end, democrats still won almost everything that year. Sure, with a good 1st debate you can tack on North Carolina for Obama, and for the senate you can add in a Berkeley Win, and for the governors a Gregg win (IN), but that's it. 2012 was for all intents and purposes a democratic wave.
retromike22
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 12:06:57 AM »

In the end, democrats still won almost everything that year. Sure, with a good 1st debate you can tack on North Carolina for Obama, and for the senate you can add in a Berkeley Win, and for the governors a Gregg win (IN), but that's it. 2012 was for all intents and purposes a democratic wave.

Oh I'm not saying that it wasn't a Democratic wave, I'm saying that 2012 was a better year for a Democratic wave than 2014. I should have used the word "timing" instead of "chance."
emcee0
Canada

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 01:02:37 AM »

I would also keep Harkin around for another term and defeats Ernst.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 03:10:01 PM »

Yeah, Ernst wouldn't have won in a Democratic wave, even against Braley. 50-50 senate, also Democrats probably would've gained 5-7 house seats.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 04:26:58 PM »

Senate: I have to agree with Wulfric. Braley was that bad of a candidate. R+6 (AR/SD/WV/LA/IA/MT).

Governors: Brownback, Davis, Snyder lose. Walker barely survives. LePage is saved by Cutler. D+3.

House: A lot of close races. Rahall, Barrow, Bishop, Maffei still lose, NY-21 and NC-7 also flip. R+6. On the other hand, Sink wins, and Benishek and Mooney fall. All unmentioned districts hold. R+3.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 04:57:22 PM »

If we're in the middle of President Romney's first term in office and he's grossly unpopular then there is no reason to assume that Democrats wouldn't be able to defend all of there incumbent Senators and then pickup KY and GA; Collins might have retired too, and that would have added an additional pickup for the Dems. 
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 05:54:00 PM »

President Romney is pretty unpopular.

Alaska - Begich dominates Treadwell 54-41. D Hold

Montana - John Walsh narrowly upsets Corey Stapleton 49-48. D Hold

Colorado - Udall dominates Ken Buck 53-43. D Hold

South Dakota - Brendan Johnson runs to suceed his father, begins as the underdog until Mike Rounds implodes due to the EBI scandal, and Rounds is replaced with Annette Bosworth, who basically gives a Akin-esqe interview. Johnson defeats Bosworth 53-46. D Hold

Iowa - Harkin sweeps re-election against Sam Clovis 64-33. D Hold

Arkansas - IDK. Pryor still loses to Tom Cotton, but it's more like 50-48. R Gain

Louisiana - Landrieu holds on against Rob Maness, who upsets against Cassidy in the jungle primary. D Hold

Kentucky - Adam Edelen defeats Mitch McConnell 52-46 in the biggest shock of the night. D Gain

Mississippi - Chris McDaniel proves to be the biggest Akin of the cycle, and against still-Democrat Gene Taylor (who Thad Cochran actively campaigns for), McDaniel loses by 54-45. D Gain

North Carolina - Kay Hagan easily beats the face of the North Carolina legislature Thom Tillis 55-43. D Hold

Georgia - Michelle Nunn faces off against Paul Broun (who came out on top after a run-off with Phil Gingrey), gets a solid win (within 10). D Gain.

Kansas - Greg Orman's transformational campaign v. the aging Senator Pat Roberts ends with a surprising margin in Ormans favor (53-42). I Gain (D really)

West Virginia - Shelley Moore Capito wins 56-41 against Carte Goodwin. R Gain

Maine - Susan Collins retires to run for Governor in 2018. Republicans nominate a good fighter in Kevin Raye, but he's no match for [Insert Generic Democrat here]. D Gain.

So overall, two Republican pick-ups, Five Democrat pick-ups (3 more seats overall).

IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 06:22:43 PM »

South Dakota - Brendan Johnson runs to suceed his father, begins as the underdog until Mike Rounds implodes due to the EBI scandal, and Rounds is replaced with Annette Bosworth, who basically gives a Akin-esqe interview. Johnson defeats Bosworth 53-46. D Hold

Arkansas - IDK. Pryor still loses to Tom Cotton, but it's more like 50-48. R Gain

Louisiana - Landrieu holds on against Rob Maness, who upsets against Cassidy in the jungle primary. D Hold

Kentucky - Adam Edelen defeats Mitch McConnell 52-46 in the biggest shock of the night. D Gain

Mississippi - Chris McDaniel proves to be the biggest Akin of the cycle, and against still-Democrat Gene Taylor (who Thad Cochran actively campaigns for), McDaniel loses by 54-45. D Gain

North Carolina - Kay Hagan easily beats the face of the North Carolina legislature Thom Tillis 55-43. D Hold

Georgia - Michelle Nunn faces off against Paul Broun (who came out on top after a run-off with Phil Gingrey), gets a solid win (within 10). D Gain.

Kansas - Greg Orman's transformational campaign v. the aging Senator Pat Roberts ends with a surprising margin in Ormans favor (53-42). I Gain (D really)

Maine - Susan Collins retires to run for Governor in 2018. Republicans nominate a good fighter in Kevin Raye, but he's no match for [Insert Generic Democrat here]. D Gain.

So overall, two Republican pick-ups, Five Democrat pick-ups (3 more seats overall).

A D wave stops Walsh's plagiarism, gets Harkin not to retire, gets Collins to retire, and makes Maness/Broun surge? Huh
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2015, 06:34:48 PM »

A D wave stops Walsh's plagiarism, gets Harkin not to retire, gets Collins to retire, and makes Maness/Broun surge? Huh

Here's my reasoning for some of this -

1. Walsh's plagiarism proves to not be such a big issue, and he moves past it because a strong populist campaign.
2. Tea Party is outraged at the Romney administration for their attempts to reform taxes that involves a slight increase in some areas and a general not caring about social issues, so Tea Partiers get more traction in the primary.
3. Incumbents view the Senate as likely to remain in the Democratic Corner, and act accordingly.

Rising stars of today such as Cory Gardner, Steve Daines, and more either choose not to run or lose their primaries (Ernst narrowly loses to Clovis). Plus I just had some fun with this Tongue
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2015, 07:34:32 PM »

If the 2014 election had been a Democratic wave equal to the Republican wave this year:

Closest winner would be Landrieu (50.17% runoff), followed by Graham (47.61%).

If the 2014 Governor's elections had a Democratic wave equal to the Republican wave this year:

Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2015, 12:27:17 AM »

It's quite hard to tell. While I'm fairly sure Hagan, Begich, Udall, and maybe Landrieu could have survived; Mark Pryor is a whole other story. Would Arkansas "trend" have caught up with him? Or his "strength" would have shown and he would have survived? I certainly don't know. As far as I know, most people didn't expect him to get less than 40% of the vote, which he did by the way. Maybe Roberts could have lost. McConnell too. Iowa could have been hold by the Dems. Georgia would have had a runoff (though it probably would have been won by a Republican). Montana's Walsh probably wouldn't have had his candidacy derailed by that scandal.

bobloblaw
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2015, 04:01:57 PM »

why would it be a Dem wave in year 6 of Obama?
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2015, 04:29:26 PM »

why would it be a Dem wave in year 6 of Obama?
We're speaking in hypotheticals, obviously.

And in any case, keep in mind that the conventional wisdom about 2014 was that it would be a small republican wave because of sixth year itch, but muh demographics, muh democratic gotv, muh local issues, and muh tea party would keep it from being another 2010. It wasn't until October that that belief really started to be abandoned, and at the end, the wave was much bigger than most expected.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2015, 10:16:01 AM »

Michigan and Ohio would enact SSM equality through legislation.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2015, 04:48:42 PM »

Dem Wave. Walker would lose, only if the turnout was a bit higher in WI. When I campaigned for Burke, I was shocked to see how many people didn't care about the election. It is a midterm, and I am a Political Nerd, but 60% of the houses I went to were like "Get Off my lawn".
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2015, 12:41:33 PM »
« Edited: April 10, 2015, 12:53:45 PM by OC »

This was the very map Dems were hoping for, with Michelle Nunn, winning in Jan runoff.

Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2015, 03:54:07 AM »

Florida, Kansas, Maine, Michigan and Wisconsin go Democratic. Illinois, Maryland and Massachusetts stay Democratic.

Georgia and Texas remain Republican. Carter loses in a runoff against Deal 52-48%.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2015, 08:50:28 AM »

Florida, Kansas, Maine, Michigan and Wisconsin go Democratic. Illinois, Maryland and Massachusetts stay Democratic.

Georgia and Texas remain Republican. Carter loses in a runoff against Deal 52-48%.

Jason Carter had to win the runoff,  because Michelle Nunn, would of been the Dems 50th seat, since Mary Landrieu would have lost anyways.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies