UK General Election - May 7th 2015 (The Official Campaign Thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 04:44:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Election - May 7th 2015 (The Official Campaign Thread)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 46
Author Topic: UK General Election - May 7th 2015 (The Official Campaign Thread)  (Read 160966 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #550 on: April 22, 2015, 10:48:44 AM »

Question: is there any indication that there are people in England whose primary issue is Scotland, that is, preserving the Union? If so, what kind of people would they be? I'd imagine they'd be "one nation Tory" types but perhaps I'm projecting- at this point it'd probably be my main concern going into the election.

Would people be willing to vote strategically on this issue- vote for the party that's most likely to keep the SNP out?
Zanas
Zanas46
France

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #551 on: April 22, 2015, 10:55:15 AM »

Would people be willing to vote strategically on this issue- vote for the party that's most likely to keep the SNP out?
I don't really get where you're going : if they vote in England, their vote technically cannot "keep the SNP out". There could be some of this kind in Scotland, yes, but I don't see what they could do about it if there were in England.

Or do you mean voters inclined on voting Tory rather than Lab because the Tories won't give in as easily as Labour to SNP ? I doubt there are much of these, most voters are primarily concerned with the economy, and maybe immigration or the EU, not Scotland.
rob in cal
« Reply #552 on: April 22, 2015, 11:06:24 AM »

On aspect of the Greens that I haven't found much mention of is that in 2010 they only ran about 300 candidates, and were missing in some of the marginal seats.  This year they are running in almost all of the England marginal seats, I believe.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #553 on: April 22, 2015, 11:09:42 AM »

Question: is there any indication that there are people in England whose primary issue is Scotland, that is, preserving the Union? If so, what kind of people would they be? I'd imagine they'd be "one nation Tory" types but perhaps I'm projecting- at this point it'd probably be my main concern going into the election.

I can't imagine many people like that exist as opposed to people whipped up into a state of hysteria about the SNP controlling a Labour government or whatever the Mail is screeching about.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #554 on: April 22, 2015, 11:37:33 AM »

I imagine those that do care very strongly about this are rather unlikely to be Labour voters anyway.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #555 on: April 22, 2015, 12:12:09 PM »

Yeah tons of people say they're voting green to shake up the system, or because labour isn't left wing enough.

Rule 11: A hundred people on social media doesn’t make a representative sample.
Lurker
Norway
« Reply #556 on: April 22, 2015, 12:55:28 PM »

bar for the SP I think Labour is the leftiest of the European large centre-left parties. anyway green voters would be unimportant if Labour could tear the left side of the LD back in

What is the SP?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #557 on: April 22, 2015, 12:58:19 PM »
« Edited: April 22, 2015, 01:01:03 PM by Sibboleth »

Most people in England and Wales don't care much about Scotland (look at a map: why would they?) and their votes will not be influenced in the slightest by the future of the Union or the possible influence of the SNP in a hung parliament or whatever. This leaves us (forgive me for absurd overgeneralisation now) with a few pretty specific groups; a subspecies of old fashioned ultra-patriotic Conservative (the sort who unironically collect coronation mugs), people who are patriotic in the same way as the first group but who are not partisan and yet vote, and people who were born in Scotland but now live in England (needless to say quite a few were pretty apoplectic about the events of last year). The first group are not going to vote for parties to the left of the Tories, the second group are an important bunch of swing voters and the Tories are clearly trying to spook the hell out of them currently, and my experience of the latter group is that they tend to be pretty partisan for whichever party they support (which reflects the fact that a disproportionate percentage have military links or a connection to historic heavy industry) so probably won't be swung much; the Corby Scots don't need an excuse to vote Labour, for instance. Of course those who are more transiently out of Scotland are less likely to be hostile to threats to the Union.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #558 on: April 22, 2015, 01:06:31 PM »

So is Ed Miliband now some sort of "hipster-geek"?

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/apr/21/ed-milibands-slow-walk-to-cool?CMP=fb_gu
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #559 on: April 22, 2015, 01:09:27 PM »

Most of the people who will be voting Green this time will have voted for the LibDems (not Labour) in 2010. I'm still not sure how they'll do in actual percentage terms, and it is worth noting that if they poll a solid thousand votes in a lot of places but no more, that could still be a lot of money they'll be shelling out in lost deposits.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #560 on: April 22, 2015, 01:15:33 PM »

I'm sure they'll basically resemble their Canadian counterparts and collapse when people actually go into the booth. I think they stand a decent chance of being second in a handful of seats like Bristol W and Sheffield C, but I highly doubt their 'surge' (if you can call it that) will last.

I think there will be some regional pockets of Green strength that may save a handful of Coalition MP's, like Mulholland and Huppert; but really guessing at this point is a crapshot.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #561 on: April 22, 2015, 01:16:36 PM »

Most of the people who will be voting Green this time will have voted for the LibDems (not Labour) in 2010. I'm still not sure how they'll do in actual percentage terms, and it is worth noting that if they poll a solid thousand votes in a lot of places but no more, that could still be a lot of money they'll be shelling out in lost deposits.

I think from the LibDem experience in 2010 and the general demographic of Green voters, there's some chance they're overpolling. A lot won't turn up on the day.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #562 on: April 22, 2015, 01:18:16 PM »

My thinking has been for a while to watch university seats: there could well be some substantial LDem-to-Green movement in many of those, particularly those held by the LibDems. Of course this will mostly be terrible news for the LibDem incumbents, even if not quite as awful as LDem-to-Labour movement. A loss of half a vote (effectively) is better than the loss of a whole vote, but...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #563 on: April 22, 2015, 01:24:38 PM »

I almost don't know why I'm posting this as it's a) by ComRes and b) is a marginals poll (urgh). But because I'm good to you...

This is apparently a poll of UKIP target seats.* Results and changes on 2010 are:

Conservatives 39% (-7.3)
Labour 28% (+1.7)
UK Independence Party 21% (+15.4)
Liberal Democrats 5% (-10.2)
Green Party 4% (+3.6)
Others 3% (-0.8)

As all of these are coastal (well... estuarial in a couple of cases but that's close enough...) there's plenty of salt around to help those numbers go down!

*South Thanet, Boston and Skegness, Thurrock, Forest of Dean, Great Yarmouth, North Thanet, East Worthing and Shoreham, Sittingbourne and Sheppey, South Basildon and East Thurrock, and Castle Point.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #564 on: April 22, 2015, 01:30:22 PM »

My feeling is that so much of the uni vote has been lost for good (even before the Green rise) for this election, the only thing that will save them is anti-coalitin voters to be split between different parties. That's why I'm almost starting to feel that Clegg is in a weaker position than more ... generic Lib Dems like Mulholland. The DPM is such a disliked figure amongst students that I doubt many students would bother wasting their vote, but perhaps a more neutral figure will end up with students casting votes for Greens instead.p

My thinking has been for a while to watch university seats: there could well be some substantial LDem-to-Green movement in many of those, particularly those held by the LibDems. Of course this will mostly be terrible news for the LibDem incumbents, even if not quite as awful as LDem-to-Labour movement. A loss of half a vote (effectively) is better than the loss of a whole vote, but...

Thing is, the Greens are probably gonna save some uni seats for the LibDems - Bristol, Leeds NW ie.

Thing is, uni seats are only a very small minority anyway and aren't hugely important in the grand scheme  of things. I highly doubt the Greens will make an impact on the Tory-Lab marginals where the election will be won.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #565 on: April 22, 2015, 02:07:28 PM »

LMFAO a Young Tory in his twenties tried to start a Cameronettes fandom claiming to be a  thirteen year old girl. You can't just beat that grassroots Milifandom Tories, Cheesy
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #566 on: April 22, 2015, 02:12:44 PM »

LMFAO a Young Tory in his twenties tried to start a Cameronettes fandom claiming to be a  thirteen year old girl. You can't just beat that grassroots Milifandom Tories, Cheesy

Tory Future are an interesting bunch.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #567 on: April 22, 2015, 02:50:14 PM »

What's his username on here?
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #568 on: April 22, 2015, 03:18:45 PM »

I almost don't know why I'm posting this as it's a) by ComRes and b) is a marginals poll (urgh). But because I'm good to you...

This is apparently a poll of UKIP target seats.* Results and changes on 2010 are:

Conservatives 39% (-7.3)
Labour 28% (+1.7)
Green Party 4% (+3.6)
Others 3% (-0.8)

As all of these are coastal (well... estuarial in a couple of cases but that's close enough...) there's plenty of salt around to help those numbers go down!

*South Thanet, Boston and Skegness, Thurrock, Forest of Dean, Great Yarmouth, North Thanet, East Worthing and Shoreham, Sittingbourne and Sheppey, South Basildon and East Thurrock, and Castle Point.

This does not look very good for the purple peril at first sight, but surely those constituencies are too heterogeneous for this to be a sensible poll, even if the sampling is competent?
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #569 on: April 22, 2015, 03:26:04 PM »

I almost don't know why I'm posting this

To catch up with BRTD? Wink
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #570 on: April 22, 2015, 03:33:35 PM »

Conservatives 39% (-7.3)
Labour 28% (+1.7)
Green Party 4% (+3.6)
Others 3% (-0.8)

This does not look very good for the purple peril at first sight, but surely those constituencies are too heterogeneous for this to be a sensible poll, even if the sampling is competent?

http://news.sky.com/story/1324855/ukip-poll-reveals-12-most-wanted-seats

They're all the Tory seats that UKIP named as targets last year.
Harry Hayfield
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #571 on: April 22, 2015, 03:51:37 PM »

Conservatives 39% (-7.3)
Labour 28% (+1.7)
Green Party 4% (+3.6)
Others 3% (-0.8)

UK-Elect says all of them would be Con HOLDS. Best result is in Castle Point (30%), worse reslt is in Thanet South (18%)
Diouf
Denmark
« Reply #572 on: April 22, 2015, 03:57:32 PM »

Regarding the discussion of which seats the SNP might not win

http://may2015.com/featured/election-2015-these-are-the-13-scottish-seats-the-snp-could-struggle-to-win/

Two fairly likely SNP gains
Dunbartonshire East (Lib Dem-held)
Glenrothes (Labour)

Four Labour seats where the SNP are slight favourites

Renfrewshire East (all Labour-held)
Edinburgh South
Paisley and Renfrewshire North
Coatbridge, Chryston and Bellshill

The four most closely fought seats
Dumfries and Galloway (Labour-held but a Tory and SNP target)
Rutherglen and Hamilton West (Labour-held)
Dumfriesshire, Clydesdale and Tweeddale (Tory-held; their sole 2010 seat)
Dunfermline and West Fife (Labour-held)

Three seats where the SNP are likely to fall short

Berwickshire, Roxburgh and Selkirk (Lib Dem-held; a three-way marginal between them, the Tories and SNP)
Glasgow North East (Labour-held)
Orkney and Shetland (Lib Dem-held)
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #573 on: April 22, 2015, 04:04:56 PM »

So is Charles Kennedy going to lose then? I don't see his seat on that list.
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -1.04

« Reply #574 on: April 22, 2015, 04:51:16 PM »

Prediction: Yougov's poll tomorrow will show a 3 point Labour lead, thus returning us back to the beginning.

Con 33 (-2), Labour 34, UKIP 14 (+1), LDem 7, Greens 5, Others 7 (+1)
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 46  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies