UK General Election - May 7th 2015 (The Official Campaign Thread) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:20:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Election - May 7th 2015 (The Official Campaign Thread) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: UK General Election - May 7th 2015 (The Official Campaign Thread)  (Read 161207 times)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« on: April 01, 2015, 05:43:38 PM »

Anyone else have a feeling that this will be slightly akin to 1992?  

No, not at all. This is a weak example used by tories hoping for a last minute victory

I can't wait till you Progress lot are expelled from the party.

Us progress lot? What are you talking about? I'm a proud Miliband supporter, and a proud Labour supporter. I've donated money to the party (despite being a rather tight student) I've traveled to party conferences, I've canvassed dozens of times for labour candidates-is that good enough for you?

For someone who unashamedly espouses Blair you appear to be peculiarly cavalier. Whether you support Miliband is not the issue.
I'm sure you have been campaigning for certain candidates.
It's a matter of time.

If anything, social conservative fossils like you will be purged first.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 05:58:39 PM »

Anyone else have a feeling that this will be slightly akin to 1992?  

No, not at all. This is a weak example used by tories hoping for a last minute victory

I can't wait till you Progress lot are expelled from the party.

Us progress lot? What are you talking about? I'm a proud Miliband supporter, and a proud Labour supporter. I've donated money to the party (despite being a rather tight student) I've traveled to party conferences, I've canvassed dozens of times for labour candidates-is that good enough for you?

For someone who unashamedly espouses Blair you appear to be peculiarly cavalier. Whether you support Miliband is not the issue.
I'm sure you have been campaigning for certain candidates.
It's a matter of time.

If anything, social conservative fossils like you will be purged first.

Jesus Christ do you know anything?

Who was the only deselected Labour MP this time? The very socially conservtive Bootle one.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 05:15:37 PM »

The death has been announced this evening of Ronnie Carroll (Britain's entry in Eurovision for 1963 and 1964) which means that the election in the Hampstead and Kilburn constituency will be postponed http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-32291350

No, it won't. He was an independent, and, so, the election is continuing as planned.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 12:30:40 AM »

Are there any seats in England where UKIP is not fielding a candidate?  If so those seats might be nice test cases for UKIP's impact on the Tory vote %.

No, only in Scotland.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 05:33:36 AM »

Why a polling company is called "Ourselves die" (or something like that, I don't talk Latin) in Latn?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 11:07:03 PM »

If, and I realize that this is a highly improbable if, no party proves capable of forming a government, is there anyone Elizabeth could call on to form an apolitical caretaker government pending a new election? I not interested at the moment on whether she would do that, but only if there is anyone she could call on, such as perhaps a crossbench Lord.

No. Cameron would again carry on as a careholder. He is in power until replaced.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 01:47:16 AM »

If, and I realize that this is a highly improbable if, no party proves capable of forming a government, is there anyone Elizabeth could call on to form an apolitical caretaker government pending a new election? I not interested at the moment on whether she would do that, but only if there is anyone she could call on, such as perhaps a crossbench Lord.

No. Cameron would again carry on as a careholder. He is in power until replaced.

But if Cameron couldn't get even the British equivalent of a continuing budget resolution to pass what then?  A neutral figure might be able to accomplish what Cameron couldn't.  I already stipulated that I considered the scenario highly improbable. Hence my question was is there anyone the Queen could call on in the unlikely event it proved necessary.

UK doesn't need a contining budget resolution. Cameron passed the 2015 budget in March and the current government will carry on on these lines until they are replaced. Westminster system don't need to continue budget or anything. If House votes no changes, the previously voted budget continues on and on and present government continue as a careholder.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 07:08:44 AM »

I don't know what to say. I'm speechless.

Probably one of the most silly political stunts I ever heard about.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 03:46:12 PM »

I haven't seen much mention of the strong possibility that if in fact both Labour and Tories are tied in national vote shares that should actually mean a Labour victory in terms of seats won over the Tories.  There doesn't seem to be much of a "tie equals Labour win" narrative.

Well, it's less true since Scotland events happened. Labour should lose 30 to 40 seats in Scotland to SNP.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies