the 4 Gospels or the Pauline Corpus
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:11:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  the 4 Gospels or the Pauline Corpus
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: which are more important to your conception of Christianity?
the 4 Gospels

the Pauline Corpus

other (pastor letters, Revelation, OT, etc)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 17

Author Topic: the 4 Gospels or the Pauline Corpus  (Read 1545 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 31, 2015, 12:36:37 AM »

for the sake of "Pauline Corpus" you can include the 7 legitimate Pauline letters as well as the 6 disputed.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 12:40:37 AM »

Is there a difference between calling them corpus vs. epistles? In any case, it was probably those, since they offered the most easily accessible rules and concepts that I related to everyday Christianity.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 02:00:08 AM »

The Gospels (plus Acts), since my understanding of Christianity is fundamentally about narrative rather than rules.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 08:37:19 AM »

I'm a Gospels plus Acts person as well, tho my appreciation of the real Pauline letters has grown over the last few years.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 08:39:03 AM »

I read the Gospels as a series of related narratives about the life and times of a back country faith healer who advocated revolutionary social and religious change in a time that many considered to be the end of days. I read Paul's letters as a worldly convert's vigorous attempts to give organizational structure and philosophical sophistication to the sect that sprung up after said faith healer's execution.

I voted for the latter.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 02:03:18 PM »

When I was still Christian, and even long after I've not been, the Gospels, and particularly the Synoptics.  What Jesus said, did, and recommended, or at least what I took to be the "spirit" of these, always took precedence for me over theological debates about what Jesus was.  Apart from a surviving appreciation of his rhetorical gifts, I came over time to profoundly dislike the content of the Pauline literature.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 09:13:35 PM »
« Edited: March 31, 2015, 09:16:39 PM by Charlotte Hebdo »

My first reaction was, why is that even a question?

Do the Pauline Epistles have an especially high status in American Christian tradition (in as far as one can speak of such a thing) since you can seriously compare their importance to the Gospels?

TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 09:47:00 PM »

Do the Pauline Epistles have an especially high status in American Christian tradition (in as far as one can speak of such a thing) since you can seriously compare their importance to the Gospels?

In a ton of American Protestant traditions, strangely yes.

In any case, the answer here should be obvious. The Gospels are the crux of Christianity, the point around which else is directed toward.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 09:27:11 PM »

In a ton of American Protestant traditions, strangely yes.

yup, and it's hard not to suspect it's because Paul can be read as to give your white protestant male the answer he wants to hear re: women, gays, "salvation by grace through faith", etc.

Paul was often giving advice to 'his' churches, so the Epistles read as directions on what to do and what not to do.  the Gospels are more layered in their messaging and require a more careful reading.  

I'd argue that Paul is more layered than one would think and a lot can be learned from careful study of him and what he was trying to do -- but conservative American protestants don't do that sort of thing.  "it's right there in the text!" they scream. John Piper even let slip one time, told his students "not to worry so much about the study of 1st Century Judaism, the Bible is God's Word and you'll get what you need from the text."  antiintellectualism, pure and simple, even from the supposed intellectual.  

in such a culture, any scholarly, 'textual criticism' is at best besides the point, at worst demonic liberal nonsense.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 09:51:22 PM »

I read the Gospels as a series of related narratives about the life and times of a back country faith healer who advocated revolutionary social and religious change in a time that many considered to be the end of days. I read Paul's letters as a worldly convert's vigorous attempts to give organizational structure and philosophical sophistication to the sect that sprung up after said faith healer's execution.

I voted for the latter.

Faith healer? That's very negative term and doesn't really apply to Jesus.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2015, 07:21:15 AM »

I voted for the latter.

Revisiting my post, I can see how it would be interpreted as dismissive of the Gospels (which I'm not), but what is it about that part that you particularly object to?
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2015, 12:59:32 PM »

I voted for the latter.

Revisiting my post, I can see how it would be interpreted as dismissive of the Gospels (which I'm not), but what is it about that part that you particularly object to?

When I see "faith healer" I think "Someone who claims to heal people with faith and tells people not to do anything about their ailments because they will get healed eventually".

Jesus actually did heal people, so that's why I thought of it as negative. It's just my opinion though, much like your preference of the Pauline works.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies