the 4 Gospels or the Pauline Corpus (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:18:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  the 4 Gospels or the Pauline Corpus (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: which are more important to your conception of Christianity?
the 4 Gospels

the Pauline Corpus

other (pastor letters, Revelation, OT, etc)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 17

Author Topic: the 4 Gospels or the Pauline Corpus  (Read 1564 times)
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: April 02, 2015, 09:51:22 PM »

I read the Gospels as a series of related narratives about the life and times of a back country faith healer who advocated revolutionary social and religious change in a time that many considered to be the end of days. I read Paul's letters as a worldly convert's vigorous attempts to give organizational structure and philosophical sophistication to the sect that sprung up after said faith healer's execution.

I voted for the latter.

Faith healer? That's very negative term and doesn't really apply to Jesus.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 12:59:32 PM »

I read the Gospels as a series of related narratives about the life and times of a back country faith healer who advocated revolutionary social and religious change in a time that many considered to be the end of days. I read Paul's letters as a worldly convert's vigorous attempts to give organizational structure and philosophical sophistication to the sect that sprung up after said faith healer's execution.

I voted for the latter.

Faith healer? That's very negative term and doesn't really apply to Jesus.

Revisiting my post, I can see how it would be interpreted as dismissive of the Gospels (which I'm not), but what is it about that part that you particularly object to?

When I see "faith healer" I think "Someone who claims to heal people with faith and tells people not to do anything about their ailments because they will get healed eventually".

Jesus actually did heal people, so that's why I thought of it as negative. It's just my opinion though, much like your preference of the Pauline works.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies