Rauner's approval rating at 36%
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 06:20:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Rauner's approval rating at 36%
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Rauner's approval rating at 36%  (Read 3224 times)
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 31, 2015, 01:52:54 AM »

No surprise to me, but Bruce Rauner's approval rating is tanking.

http://www.bnd.com/2015/03/20/3722545/poll-finds-rauner-approval-rating.html
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 01:59:10 AM »

His disapproval is only at 31.4% though. That implies most people haven't made up their minds yet. He still has plenty of room to lose the hearts and minds of the electorate.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 02:02:14 AM »

I honestly think his election was a fluke. Illinois will have enough sense to fire Scott Walker Rauner 3 years from now. Maybe I should move to Illinois and run for State Senate in 2016.

WOLVERINE22 FOR SENATE: Shut down Rauner, take back Illinois
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 02:02:37 AM »

Seems like a garbage poll.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Ok, so 100 - 31.4 who don't approve - 23.1 who don't know sh!t = 45.5. What do the other 9% think? This seems poorly done in any case, as a poll taken of a newly-elected Governor shouldn't have so many iffy people in it; nobody really cares what non-voters think.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 03:34:43 AM »

I have faith in Rauner. He said from the start that he was never going to be Mr. Popularity, and what he's truly trying to do the best for Illinois. Staying with Quinn was never an option given the IL underemployment rate that was 6 points above the national average, and an unemployment rate that was a point above the national average. By 2018, I have faith that we'll all by thanking Rauner, for he will have saved Illinois.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 04:29:38 AM »

I honestly think his election was a fluke. Illinois will have enough sense to fire Scott Walker Rauner 3 years from now. Maybe I should move to Illinois and run for State Senate in 2016.

Do you have a favorite Senate district? Two-thirds of them are up in 2016. However, the IL Constitution requires a residency in district of two years prior to election, so it's a bit late to move to IL for the 2016 cycle. In fact petition circulation for 2016 is scheduled to begin in Sep of this year and ends in Nov.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 04:44:52 AM »

By 2018, I have faith that we'll all by thanking Rauner, for he will have saved Illinois.

Keeping this in my file for when Rauner is doing a perp walk on national TV in the tradition of Illinois governors.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 09:41:00 AM »

No wonder why he has disappeared from the radar again. This was done repeatedly during the campaign, while he made one on one press conferences avaliable to Dupage county voters. That's why Quinn caught up. Good luck with strategy Gov, its not working.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 10:07:56 AM »

No wonder why he has disappeared from the radar again. This was done repeatedly during the campaign, while he made one on one press conferences avaliable to Dupage county voters. That's why Quinn caught up. Good luck with strategy Gov, its not working.

Rauner is invisible in Chicagoland because he's hitting Metro East hard this week. It's a big state and Chicago media doesn't necessarily cover events in the 90+ counties outside of its main area.

As for the polls, I would remind everyone about how Kasich started out four years ago (story from 5/19/11). Note that in Apr 2011 Kasich had only a 30% approval.

King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 10:58:57 AM »

Why anybody would want to be Governor of Illinois is beyond me.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 11:42:04 AM »

Why anybody would want to be Governor of Illinois is beyond me.

This, everybody hates you and you end up going to prison!
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2015, 01:44:37 PM »

Rauner is invisible in Chicagoland because he's hitting Metro East hard this week. It's a big state and Chicago media doesn't necessarily cover events in the 90+ counties outside of its main area.

As for the polls, I would remind everyone about how Kasich started out four years ago (story from 5/19/11). Note that in Apr 2011 Kasich had only a 30% approval.

Kasich only won re-election by such a large margin because he faced one of the weakest Gubernatorial nominees in the history of Ohio Democratic politics in the biggest Republican wave since at least the 1890s and ran an excellent campaign.  It's almost impossible to imagine Rauner finding himself in an even somewhat similar situation in 2018.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2015, 01:54:36 PM »

Kasich only won re-election by such a large margin because he faced one of the weakest Gubernatorial nominees in the history of Ohio Democratic politics in the biggest Republican wave since at least the 1890s and ran an excellent campaign.  It's almost impossible to imagine Rauner finding himself in an even somewhat similar situation in 2018.

Even without Fitzy scandals, Kasich still would have won by 7-9 points. He was favored before the scandals (I moved the race from Toss-Up to Lean R in April, Fitzy scandals didn't arise until August), they just made him much more favored.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2015, 01:57:59 PM »

Illinois isn't Ohio. Far from it.

Rauner's done in 2018 in most cases, unless the Dems put up someone really, really bad.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2015, 02:48:38 PM »

Lol. We all said the same thing about all of the GOP incumbents that survived in 2014.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2015, 03:16:19 PM »

Do you have a favorite Senate district? Two-thirds of them are up in 2016. However, the IL Constitution requires a residency in district of two years prior to election, so it's a bit late to move to IL for the 2016 cycle. In fact petition circulation for 2016 is scheduled to begin in Sep of this year and ends in Nov.

Ah, too bad. I'd just move to Chicago to be quite honest. Then again, Alan Keyes lived in Illinois for what, 4 hours before declaring for Senate?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2015, 03:23:25 PM »

Even without Fitzy scandals, Kasich still would have won by 7-9 points. He was favored before the scandals (I moved the race from Toss-Up to Lean R in April, Fitzy scandals didn't arise until August), they just made him much more favored.

FitzGerald was still one of the weakest gubernatorial nominees in the modern history of OH politics, even without the scandals.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2015, 07:18:36 PM »

Lol. We all said the same thing about all of the GOP incumbents that survived in 2014.

Were any of them elected in Illinois?
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2015, 07:35:41 PM »

Ah, too bad. I'd just move to Chicago to be quite honest. Then again, Alan Keyes lived in Illinois for what, 4 hours before declaring for Senate?

If that, but that is a federal office not covered by the requirements of the IL constitution.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2015, 09:10:14 PM »

Maine has similar levels of Democratic leans Tongue
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2015, 09:17:33 PM »

Maine has similar levels of Democratic leans Tongue
Yeah, but Maine was solely the fault of Cutler:

Difference between LePage and Michaud: 29,408
Votes for Culter: 51,518

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2015, 10:21:39 PM »

Rauner really hit Pat Quinn on how poorly he has run the prisons in downstate IL, Madigan and Tom Dart are vying to run for Governor of IL in 2018, and are running criminal justice systems around Chicagoland, and to the right of Quinn on that issue.

That's why it will be a heavily contested race with Rauner.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2015, 05:50:29 AM »

I honestly think his election was a fluke. Illinois will have enough sense to fire Scott Walker Rauner 3 years from now.
I wouldn't count on it.

Illinois has a long history of electing Republicans as Governors, and had a longer streak than Massachusetts from 1977-2003. In the past 50 years, the only times the Democrats have won a majority of the vote were 1972 and 2002. 2006 Blago was unpopular and already scandal-ridden, but the Democratic wave that year probably saved him. In 2010, Republicans nominated a garbage candidate when they should've won easily.

If Hillary is President, I can see him skirting by in an inverse-2010 in 2018 if it's another low turnout Republican midterm wave, and he maintains his numbers in the suburbs (though even then, I wouldn't bet on it, personally).

Illinois isn't completely gone for Republicans at the state level, despite all the hate he gets from the red avatars on this forum.

Except, 2018, is the inverse of what 2010, was in governor elections, where there are term limited govs, that are Republican, instead of Democrats.

Quinn almost won, with Paul Vallas. Clearly, Lisa Madigan will be favored if she is nominated.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2015, 06:51:51 PM »

Seems like a garbage poll.

Ok, so 100 - 31.4 who don't approve - 23.1 who don't know sh!t = 45.5. What do the other 9% think? This seems poorly done in any case, as a poll taken of a newly-elected Governor shouldn't have so many iffy people in it; nobody really cares what non-voters think.

At least they had the courtesy of giving tenths of a percentage point, so we can tell immediately that the poll is garbage and to be ignored.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2015, 08:53:44 PM »

Dude, you're right; the Democrats have done so well at managing Illinois.  Let's give them endless reign because "muh Blue state."
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies