Opinion of describing yourself as 'fiscally ________'
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:54:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of describing yourself as 'fiscally ________'
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Your opinion
FD

HD

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 40

Author Topic: Opinion of describing yourself as 'fiscally ________'  (Read 1323 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 31, 2015, 10:45:52 AM »

'Why can't the GOP be fiscally conservative, but socially liberal?'

'I'm a fiscal liberal/moderate'

Obviously a dreadful practice that should be stamped out with haste.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 10:55:00 AM »

Is this just me, or do you hear this sh-t only from people that are somehow in their view on "the other side" when it comes to social issues?
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 10:58:26 AM »

Within context, it's as useful as any other political label.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 10:58:39 AM »

Codespeak for "I like to pretend I know more about economic policy than I actually do"
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 11:01:04 AM »
« Edited: March 31, 2015, 11:04:30 AM by CrabCake »

It's normally from conservatives who think they're somehow better than SocCons because they do weed; or from inane people who pretend to be 'above partisan politics' but actually speak in vague McPlatitides that don't mean anything.

I don't know. It's frustratingly vague. I've seen such disparate politicians as Gary Johnson and Michael Bloomberg be described with the phrase 'fiscally conservative, but socially liberal'. What does it even mean? It's a trite political slogan that has somehow wormed itself into use by actual real people.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 11:14:55 AM »

HD unless it's used to describe the political leanings of Western Ukraine.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 11:37:42 AM »

I believe in Monetarism, so I guess I am fiscally conservative but economically liberal.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 11:41:55 AM »

This.  Even if you question the logic behind it, everyone knows what you mean by those terms, and they've pretty much come to mean the fiscal policies of the GOP/Dems.  As long as that's how society uses them, I'm fine with going along.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 11:51:00 AM »

It's kind of like the phrases "big government" and "small government", while in theory it's easy to see how it can mean something, its overuse and reduction to a simple platitude has robbed it of meaning and it's just a meaningless buzz phrase now.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 01:20:10 PM »

TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 01:26:22 PM »

This, even if the terms themselves are meaningless. 
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2015, 01:30:31 PM »

I'm biased against it, but that could just be because I'm biased against 'fiscally conservative but socially liberal' people.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2015, 01:59:45 PM »

I'm biased against it, but that could just be because I'm biased against 'fiscally conservative but socially liberal' people.

Well, "fiscally liberal but socially conservative" people rarely describe themselves as such. They have the taste to use more intelligent labels like "populist", "Chistian-Democrat" or "communitarian".
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2015, 02:50:36 PM »

Well, "fiscally liberal but socially conservative" people rarely describe themselves as such. They have the taste to use more intelligent labels like "populist", "Chistian-Democrat" or "communitarian".

Do "fiscally conservative but socially liberal" people have a strong aversion to "Libertarian"?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2015, 03:10:26 PM »

Do "fiscally conservative but socially liberal" people have a strong aversion to "Libertarian"?

Well, "Libertarian" in the US context carries a connotation of extremism and whackery that doesn't fit many FCBSL people. See on this very forum people like King, Oakvale, JerryAR or Clarko.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2015, 03:35:35 PM »

Annoying buzzword for VERY SERIOUS PEOPLE
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2015, 07:17:53 PM »

I mean, I consider myself a fiscal conservative, but that's because I actually am. If the label is used accurately its ok. But to be fair its kind of stupid because no one calls themselves 'fiscally liberal'.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2015, 07:31:25 PM »

I think the narrowest definition of the term would be one's views on fiscal policy -- that thing where the government buys things (goods and services from businesses, labor from individuals). So a fiscal liberal would perhaps be someone more eager/less reluctant to make changes in fiscal policy, whereas a fiscal conservative would be less eager/more reluctant to do so. (Of course, changes could mean a fiscally expansionary policy as well as a fiscally contractionary one.)

But people tend to use "fiscal ______" to lump the amount of money the government spends on things in with how it regulates economic behavior in general. That only makes sense to the extent that when the government enacts a law, it has to have a way to enforce it, and that requires spending money. But the amount of money that goes to the "regulatory arm" of the state isn't all that significant in the grand scheme of things.

You can be generally in favor of the government spending less money. It could spend less on weapons and soldiers. It could give less money to elderly people and spend less money paying for healthcare for the elderly and the poor. It could scale back "welfare" by spending less on food stamps. But there's no inherent contradiction between doing that and simultaneously enacting strict regulation of derivatives trading, requiring employers to abide by much stricter laws about how they hire and fire their workers, or enacting a 90% marginal income tax rate on "millionaires and billionaires."
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2015, 07:39:50 PM »

It's kind of like the phrases "big government" and "small government", while in theory it's easy to see how it can mean something, its overuse and reduction to a simple platitude has robbed it of meaning and it's just a meaningless buzz phrase now.

Also, those terms are almost exclusive to U.S. political discourse, just as the "fiscally whatever" terms are. It's largely down to the fact that a high proportion of the population follows politics in the U.S. than in pretty much any other Western country - the greater the number of people interested in politics, the vaguer and stupider the language becomes.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2015, 07:44:50 PM »

They should, since that isn't necessarily what they are. Mainstream libertarianism in the US has a very clear ideology that you could operate outside of while still being fiscally conservative and socially liberal.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2015, 08:40:44 PM »
« Edited: March 31, 2015, 08:44:45 PM by PR »

Generally uttered by Republicans who care more about their pocketbook than about opposing (or supporting) LGBT and women's equality, or civil rights for minorities in general.

But yeah, no one ever describes themselves as "fiscally liberal" anyway, so saying "I'm fiscally conservative" in the context of American politics is pretty meaningless. Furthermore, if Ronald Reagan can be described as a "fiscal conservative", then the phrase is beyond meaningless.

Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2015, 12:26:04 AM »

Meaningless.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2015, 12:28:20 AM »

"Fiscal conservative" always seems to mean people who want to give huge tax cuts for the rich and then borrow a lot of money to pay for bloated military budget. Obviously a terrible term.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2015, 01:59:09 AM »

This is the second thread that's really bloody depressing.

Not everyone is an ideological purist.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2015, 02:29:37 PM »

This is the second thread that's really bloody depressing.

Not everyone is If you're normal, you're not an ideological purist.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies