Which State Will Elect an Atheist Republican First?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:48:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Which State Will Elect an Atheist Republican First?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Which State Will Elect an Atheist Republican First?  (Read 4411 times)
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2015, 09:55:00 PM »

Atheists are the most hated and distrusted minority in America.  This is not a surprise. 

This is a ridiculously false statement. Atheists might be the most disliked minority, but there's a huge difference between being disliked and just outright hated. I'd say muslims are probably the most hated.

How about lawyers?
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2015, 10:04:46 PM »

I would venture to guess that there are a large amount of atheists/agnostics in congress from both parties but can't "come out" because it could hurt their political careers, kind of a shame
NerdyBohemian
United States

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2015, 10:07:11 PM »

I imagine we would see a lot more harassment and violence towards atheists if we walked around with scarlet As on our chest.

Here in RI my entire state went balistic on a 16 year old girl who was trying to have an unconstitutional prayer banner removed form her public school. She was threatened with violence and rape daily and the comment sections on fb and local news teemed with inciteful comments. Even politicians turned against her.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2015, 10:12:25 PM »

Atheists are the most hated and distrusted minority in America.  This is not a surprise.  

This is a ridiculously false statement. Atheists might be the most disliked minority, but there's a huge difference between being disliked and just outright hated. I'd say muslims are probably the most hated.

Not really, because Muslim Americans hate us, too.

http://www.salon.com/2014/07/21/the_numbers_are_in_america_still_distrusts_atheists_and_muslims_partner/

And then there's this famous study which puts us on par with rapists

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/religion/story/2011-12-10/religion-atheism/51777612/1
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix
E: -6.90, S: -6.17

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2015, 10:13:24 PM »

I imagine we would see a lot more harassment and violence towards atheists if we walked around with scarlet As on our chest.

Here in RI my entire state went balistic on a 16 year old girl who was trying to have an unconstitutional prayer banner removed form her public school. She was threatened with violence and rape daily and the comment sections on fb and local news teemed with inciteful comments. Even politicians turned against her.

Funny, now that you talk about it, I believe we watched a news story on that situation in my Civics class a while back.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2015, 11:29:55 PM »

Heck had there ever been an atheist Democrat senator?

This is a complete list of openly atheist or agnostic members of Congress and governors ever.

Former Rep. Pete Stark D-CA
Rep. Kyrsten Sinema D-AZ
Gov. Culbert Olson D-CA

A truly pathetically short list, and they're all Democrats.

Also stunning to me considering how large of a percentage our generation is.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2015, 06:34:07 AM »

Atheists are the most hated and distrusted minority in America.  This is not a surprise. 

How about lawyers?

Necessary evil Wink

Not really, because Muslim Americans hate us, too.

http://www.salon.com/2014/07/21/the_numbers_are_in_america_still_distrusts_atheists_and_muslims_partner/

And then there's this famous study which puts us on par with rapists

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/religion/story/2011-12-10/religion-atheism/51777612/1

Okay, but the image of atheists isn't "he's got a backpack on in a public place, is it a bomb?"

And that USA Today study is extremely strange and if its results are actually valid, I doubt they'd yield the same results again. It's a strange scenario to judge someone's moral standing off of anyway.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies