Why is Trevor Noah allowed to post hateful remarks?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:51:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why is Trevor Noah allowed to post hateful remarks?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Why is Trevor Noah allowed to post hateful remarks?  (Read 4539 times)
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 31, 2015, 08:48:58 PM »

Can the members of the speech police help me out here...I thought insulting women and jews got you fired/suspended in 2015.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102550492

For the record I agree with Comedy Central's policy of letting him stay, but if a non-liberal comedian posted this, there would be a witch hunt.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 08:51:02 PM »

Because nobody gives a sh!t. He's a comedian. People should stop being butthurt. Political Correctness is ruining this country.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 08:58:55 PM »

if a non-liberal comedian posted this, there would be a witch hunt.

Badgate's #1 trick for identifying fallacy: when people use this type of argument.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 09:05:25 PM »

I suspect Comedy Central will ultimately be forced to cut him loose... mainly because Conservatives will just keep screaming "Double Standard", and liberals don't seem to allow anything negative to be said against women these days, no matter what the context.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 09:24:40 PM »

Most of the outrage over this I'm seeing is actually coming from the left, due to his comments about women, Indians, Jews, and *gasps* fat people!

I'm not sure he'll hold on, especially as he was always an iffy, obscure choice.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 10:11:11 PM »

Badgate's #1 trick for identifying fallacy: when people use this type of argument.

Exhibit A is the selective editing on this website. Bolsheviks and their mass-murder of the capitalist class memes are cheeky fun time. Referring to every religious person or white conservative as a hateful bigot is downright prudent.

If you try to say the same of Eric Holder or you accuse a lib of being an anti-semite, even if its just mockery, you will be censored.

If society didn't have a double standard for political speech, it wouldn't have any standards at all.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 10:34:14 PM »

t_host, is that you?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 11:03:32 PM »

He is part Jewish, so he can skate on that one.

Also, Comedy Central doesn't cancel Daniel Tosh for saying worse things, so I imagine he'll survive this.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 11:09:12 PM »

Exhibit A is the selective editing on this website. Bolsheviks and their mass-murder of the capitalist class memes are cheeky fun time. Referring to every religious person or white conservative as a hateful bigot is downright prudent.

If you try to say the same of Eric Holder or you accuse a lib of being an anti-semite, even if its just mockery, you will be censored.

If society didn't have a double standard for political speech, it wouldn't have any standards at all.
The difference is that he's a comedian. He's not a religious leader. He's not a Congressman or Senator or Governor. His job isn't to make and enforce laws in the US. It's to make fun of people.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 11:42:58 PM »

Is he wrong, though?
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 12:14:03 AM »

Because nobody gives a sh!t. He's a comedian. People should stop being butthurt. Political Correctness is ruining this country.

gtfo please.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2015, 01:10:56 AM »

gtfo please.

I agree. I don't think that I'll be able to go on Atlas anymore if it isn't cleansed and turned into a true safe space.

PC is love. PC is life.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2015, 03:56:13 AM »

I support PC and I have no problem with these remarks. There's nothing hateful about them.
Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2015, 08:54:56 AM »

TL;DR: Guy whose new job is to make fun of people for a living makes fun of people in his free time, too.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2015, 08:59:21 AM »

This.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2015, 09:17:29 AM »

I support PC and I have no problem with these remarks. There's nothing hateful about them.

This, however, is my sentiment. Besides, it's childish to dig up what someone said years ago and use it against them in the present day. People change, and everyone says stupid stuff at certain times in their life.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2015, 11:02:03 AM »

I don't give a fyck about his tweets, I think he's funny and will be a great host.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2015, 02:59:24 PM »

This, however, is my sentiment. Besides, it's childish to dig up what someone said years ago and use it against them in the present day. People change, and everyone says stupid stuff at certain times in their life.
Ugh. PC only counts when right-wingers are involved amirite?
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2015, 03:12:39 PM »

This Slate editorial has it right:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yeah, his tweets are very bad, not because they're offensive, because they're not remotely funny and they betray a real lack of humor. 

But, it's a tad unfair to judge him so quickly.  However, this looks to be a disaster and an extremely puzzling choice.  Maybe it's something about international syndication.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2015, 09:55:28 PM »

Correct.

But in all seriousness, it applies to both sides. I was EXTREMELY awful when I was younger, I frequently used racial slurs for the "hip" factor, I told every awful joke in the book, but I grew up. If a right winger uses racist/homophobic/sexist language, it's wrong. If a left winger does the same thing, it's just as wrong. Seth Macfarlane was completely wrong for his song about rape that he did at the Oscars, and I was furious with him afterwards. If a right winger says "hey, i'm not going to use those words because they're offensive" then power to them. I don't care what one's ideology is, I'm concerned with making sure people aren't going around spouting slurs and epithets because "muh first amendment"
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2015, 04:47:07 AM »

He is part Jewish, so he can skate on that one.

His mother was also a woman, so I guess he's half woman, so we can also let him skate on that one.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2015, 09:11:43 AM »

Correct.

But in all seriousness, it applies to both sides. I was EXTREMELY awful when I was younger, I frequently used racial slurs for the "hip" factor, I told every awful joke in the book, but I grew up. If a right winger uses racist/homophobic/sexist language, it's wrong. If a left winger does the same thing, it's just as wrong. Seth Macfarlane was completely wrong for his song about rape that he did at the Oscars, and I was furious with him afterwards. If a right winger says "hey, i'm not going to use those words because they're offensive" then power to them. I don't care what one's ideology is, I'm concerned with making sure people aren't going around spouting slurs and epithets because "muh first amendment"

I almost wish you didn't grow up.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2015, 09:31:23 AM »

Yeah, cuz it was a lot more fun going around saying the n-word because "why can't white people say it too????????????????????????????"
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2015, 09:36:14 AM »

Yeah, cuz it was a lot more fun going around saying the n-word because "why can't white people say it too?HuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuh"

No, because in that instance you wouldn't be acting like a self righteous killjoy 100% of the time.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2015, 03:31:07 AM »

Omg pcees going mahd
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies